It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Points, Points, Points.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Im seeing all the selling of BTS and PTS on here. If you truely want to see the traffic increase on those boards, you should award the points evenly across the board. More people might be interested.

Im not sure if they are awarded the same in PTS, but BTS blows preceisly because of that. Some of you may not care about points, but I think most of us do.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
One reason they can't give points for BTS is because its a more relaxed forum, with many topics that ANYONE can find something that pleases them. At ATS or PTS it takes thought into a post, at BTS anyone can post there, and if points are awarded anyone WILL post there. So if points are wanted to be given it would have to make BTS a stricter board to post on so as to not get "easy" points.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
^He's saying points should be awarded for posts in PTS so more people will go there. As threads seem to die there, since no one ventures into that part of ats.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Points shouldn't influence where to post, but new and valid points are the most rewarding feature of reading posts.

There are more original thoughts in many 1-point BTS topic-originating posts than in cut-and-paste nonsense posted in ATSNN when they carried 750 points.

The allocation of points became a point of declining relevance many moons ago.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
^He's saying points should be awarded for posts in PTS so more people will go there. As threads seem to die there, since no one ventures into that part of ats.

Yes I know he mentioned PTS, but he also mentioned BTS and thats what I chose to comment on. In PTS you get(from what I remember) I think 2 points for each post, or maybe thats for threads. If your post is worth more than 2 points than staff will applaud it if they see that its worth it. But yes I agree PTS should get a little more points for posts but its not something I would care to much either way.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't think you get any points now for all PTS, ATS and BTS. The points bar has been done away with.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The points bar has not been done away with. ATS is currently on low-bandwidth mode so you can't see some the less "necessary" stuff on your mini-profile so to help the server. You still gain points but you can't see them on your profile. If you go to memcenter at the top right, it will show you how much points you have in the store.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Ok normally I wouldn't care about points the least bit.

However the plan is going to be taxing points for feature to be implemented so how is this in any way fair to a place like BTS?

I've got a fairly sick amount of posts, mostly from BTS. Yet craptacular points. That doesn't bother me. But if we gotta be taxed for stuff to get implemented (making points actually worth something other than ooo look at my points noob) then BTS needs some damn loving man.

SCHAMONE Now!

It's not like the posts on BTS are persay worth any less ya know? ATS is full of one liners and two liners and me toos.

Yeah there are threads in bts where its one word/linage but hey its bts and if they can make it so points are given for x amount of worrdage why not just tweak it a little bit more?

I'll give up all my points for bettering BTS, I don't want them to try and prove I'm uber or some other type of ridiculous sham.

Just if this is the way its going to work then BTS deserves some INCOME!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Hey Spliff.....

Ya know - It's funny ya mention that man - That's actually one of the ideas that came up not too long ago for BTS improvement in the Council Forum........I think this post of yours though lends some more merit to that cause

I'll bring it up over there - Hopefully we can get the ball rolling on that soon - Can't promise anything of course, but stay tuned....

You guys want change? Contact your Council Staff.....We're regular members here just out cruising the boards for thoughts and ideas from other regular members.......

For BTS, you can contact me, Lysergic or UK Wizard – For PTS, You can contact EastCoastKid, Kidfinger, or The Vagabond…..

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
A little history on the splitting of the board into three this way.

This board is a conspiracy board for us tinfoil-wearing loons. There are forums for conspiracy-related discussions, broken down by topics.

For a long time, people would post non-conspiracy related threads and they'd be trashed. The smart folks who run this joint decided to create another board board so that people could have their BS discussions, relax and have a little non-paranoid fun. Because it wasn't related to the reason of the site's existence, they got no points.

The board started going political agter 9/11, and for those of you who weren't here, you can imagine how insanely political it got leading into and after the U.S. 2004 elections! So, to syphon the politics off of the conspiracy site but let us poli-ball fans have a place to argue which team is better, PTS was created.

Still, ATS is the primary site, as we're all here because we are certain that "they" are out to get us, and the place was created for folks like us.

Anyway, there you have it.

I say we have a delay in posts, all posts are reviewed by the staff, and then each post is assigned points by quality.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

I say we have a delay in posts, all posts are reviewed by the staff, and then each post is assigned points by quality.

TC

I can think of no Super Moderator better than yourself to take on such a worthwhile project as a sole charge responsibility.

Congratulations on your altruism (backed up by your known talents) in volunteering for this development in Board Quality as well as the awe-inspiring volume of reading and unbiased and astute judgment that we know you will show.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   

LOL - Yeah.....Meanwhile, we'll just wait until everyone dies to see who goes to hell or not.....

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I thank you both for the tear-jerking faith and confidence in me; I am deeply touched.
However, I fear that I must turn down the nomination as I am from Alabama, and everyone knows that I am doing the best I can to read and comprehend English, therefore I would be too slow of a reader to handle the job.
I nominate Simon, Skeptic, Bob88 and the Springmeister for that job. They are the best and brightest so they should do it!
The ultimate of Brightness, WilliamOneSac, will supervise them and insure they are objectively reviewing the submissions!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

* Hope there's no "excessive quoting" penalty about to be levied on my good-natured innocent self *

... and as a positive suggestion, I believe you just need to stay on top of all posts moving forward from the instant where you start on the Thomas Crowne Post Preliminary Review For Points Assignment Program (TCPPRFPAP) until you have your system streamlined (this could take up to seven days I guess), BEFORE you undertake the exercise of reviewing all previous posts in ATS/BTS/PTS history to review and recalculate the points assigned to them.

Otherwise you might have a little difficulty keeping up as the Board grows.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
*First notification one hour after my newly assigned position*

"Due to the inept and semi-literate nature of the TCPPRFPAP, ATS, BTS and PTS will be temporarily closed. The boards are expected to be reopened shortly before the Mayan calender runs out!"

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well all this babble is well and good, but is it going to happen? Its like it was said up above, you need em to buy stuff, so why not just distribute the points evenly across the board?

You clear up so much whining, mine included. Cmon guys, get with it !!!

Spliff out

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
spliff, this is being discussed and seems to have a lot of support, but things like this simply don't happen overnight.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Oh I know that. Im not being impatient. I just didnt want to see this thread forgotten about or changed.

Hmmm, I may have gotten the ball rollin here huh. Awesome. I slammed PTS a while back. After posting on a few articles there, I kinda like it, but I like points more. Its a simple solution that will garner you a lot more posts in the correct spot. Anyrate, you guys keep kickin ass and takin names, Im out...need more coffee!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Im seeing all the selling of BTS and PTS on here. If you truely want to see the traffic increase on those boards,

I don't think that the concern is increasing traffic. Whats traffic matter anyway, just more noise in the end. The point is allways to increase the quality of the posts.

you should award the points evenly across the board. More people might be interested.

The problem as I personally see it is that BTS is a sort of chit-chatty place, with looser rules and less 'hard core' topics. Its a great forum, but not something that we should be rewarding people for using. I mean, its providing a service to the ATS community-at-large, why should people be rewarded in order to encourage them to use it? BTS is functioning perfectly well.

Im not sure if they are awarded the same in PTS, but BTS blows preceisly because of that. Some of you may not care about points, but I think most of us do.

I've never understood the concern with points, I'm sure that people have legitimate reasons for the concern, but I don't understand what they are. All points do is let you change backgrounds and avatars and but funny little titles under your name.
edit to add

websurfer
As threads seem to die there, since no one ventures into that part of ats.

But why should we be trying to get lots of people there? ATS is successful because people can come here and talk about stuff with other interested parties. This is a discussion board. If no-one wants to discuss something that's been put up in PTS, then there's no benefit to increasing traffic and noise there. Hell, that increases the number of posters, but decreases the quality of stuff, people that have an interest get sick of people that are just babbling and not thinking things thru, and don't participate. ALso, PTS is less popular than ATS perhaps because the bulk of the posting community here was orignally attracted to the much older Conspiracy Centered Board, ATS. People with those interests tend to not be as interested in politics-as-politics. PTS still has lots of activity for a web-forum on its own BTW. And BTS, heck, there are groups of people that've abandoned ATS more or less and stick with BTS and like it a heck of a lot.

I don't think you get any points now for all PTS, ATS and BTS. The points bar has been done away with

Oh no, its still there. At this moment we've gone into 'lo-bandwidth' mode. This occurs via automation when there's a heck of a lot of people participating and lurking at once. We're a 'victim of our own sucess' at times.

Also, this is a great thing to bring up to the repsective Councilpeople.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The problem as I personally see it is that BTS is a sort of chit-chatty place, with looser rules and less 'hard core' topics. Its a great forum, but not something that we should be rewarding people for using. I mean, its providing a service to the ATS community-at-large, why should people be rewarded in order to encourage them to use it? BTS is functioning perfectly well.

Well, alot of of posts are made there and with all the trigger happy mods throwing posts in there right and left, it looks like a wasteland. I post in there freely, but points are points..

I've never understood the concern with points, I'm sure that people have legitimate reasons for the concern, but I don't understand what they are. All points do is let you change backgrounds and avatars and but funny little titles under your name.

that the point exactly.... once you change it up, your points are **POOF**
gone.. If they arent distributed evenly, then you are in effect telling everyone the ATS is more important, even though almost every conspiricy out there has been debunked allready, resulting in posts made up of primarily "This topic has been done to death"... A quality post is a quality post and should be rewarded.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join