It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My apologies to Christians on this board

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is a very belated apology that would probably mean nothing to those who had not read my posts on those particular threads (I think I may have offended Valhall at least). I'm going ahead with the post anyway to at least show how the actions of a few can impact the views of many.

A few months ago, I had a bit of anti-Christian feelings and I expressed them on this board in a few threads.

My feelings of Christians were not negative until the last year or so when my main experience with them came from extreme right wing people on Fox and on message boards such as this one.

Almost all of the pro-war, anti-liberal, hateful speech (like 'nuke the Middle East') I heard was coming from people who viewed themselves as strongly Christian, or portrayed themselves as such. That impacted my view of Christians in spite of being raised as a (non-church-going) Christian.

I took out my anger at people like Sean Hannity and others on people on this board and for that I am sorry. Since I stopped watching Fox News I have calmed down quite a bit and I'm not as quick to attack others as I once was.

One thing this has shown me though, is that when you are only given one view of a particular group of people, it can really impact your view of everyone in that group.

I can really see how people can develop prejudice quite easily against people in the Middle East or against Jewish persons etc..., just by being exposed to a very one sided portrayal of that group. I've heard the complaints about Al Jazeera being biased but I also see the same thing, to a lesser extent, in US TV when it comes to Muslims and others.

I know there are some who hate political correctness but I can definitely see the need for balanced portrayals of ethnic and religious groups to prevent prejudice.

Anyways, I'm sorry for any of you that I offended.
This isn't as great a piece as I'd like it to be but I've been meaning to write an apology months ago and I figured I might as well do it even if it means nothing to most of you who read it.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
As a media student I would just like to say that you are right in saying that we are told a lot of biased things through the media. We have all benn a victim of this at some point and probably still are! ATS is one of the only places where things a little different and sure that your post does have an effect.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Hey Ace,

I've always enjoyed your posts - we don't agree too often, but that's okay. That's what makes the mix. You bring some pretty interesting views to this board.

It's pretty darned hard to offend me. Odds are you didn't. You might have yanked my chain, but I'm willing to bet I've yanked yours too! lol

Thanks for your sentiments...and you are right, propaganda against any group can sure cause problems between people.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'm glad to see your heart is in the right place, and it is so refreshing to see a little - and all to rare, in this forum - humility amongst the emotional postings we see here.

Now get back in the ring, Kid!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
OK, thanks Val.

It's good to know I didn't offend as much as I thought I did.

Some of the more emotion filled posts I typed up were never actually posted onto the board.
I would sometimes just type them, preview them, then decide it wasn't worth getting into the argument and hit the back button instead.

They weren't directed at you but at others.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"Christians" is a label that over 2 billion people would apply to themselves from time to time.

It's impossible to paint all people professing to be Christians with the same brush. There have been schisms between Orthodoxy, Catholicism and later Protestantism over many centuries. And simple issues such as the ordaining of women and homosexuality set Christians against each other all the time.

I think you ought to point out the stupidity and unevolved state of people who advocate violence and war (and accompanying greed and lies) as a solution to cultural or personal differences whenever you see the need. It doesn't matter whether they profess to be Christian or not.

* edit - 'homsexuality' wanted an 'o'

[edit on 14-7-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Nice apology AceofBase, but I already have your room reserved in the Eternal Torment of the Damned Suite at Hotel Hell.

But don't let it get you down, enjoy your life, its all you have.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Some of the more emotion filled posts I typed up were never actually posted onto the board.
I would sometimes just type them, preview them, then decide it wasn't worth getting into the argument and hit the back button instead.

I'm glad to hear somebody else does this as well. Now I don't feel quite as weird as I did a few minutes ago. I've done this for some time. I have three major methods of behaving myself. Then I still end up failing too often

1. don't go to threads that I know are going to tick me off, 2. type posts, preview them, and then scroll and hit "new posts" thereby dumping it, and 3. ignore button

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Hey Ace, no offense taken, 'kay?

Let's set up some new rules here.

1. Never let a post chronically offend you. I sure as heck don't.

2. This is, afterall, A CONSPIRACY WEBSITE and that means if you see a conspiracy in the Christian church, post it. And, since conspiracies are SUPPOSED to have supporters AND debunkers, expect to have your own chain rattled when evidence to the contrary comes up. It's gonna happen...it's gonna happen...

3. Everybody shakes hands and walks away, happy with the job they've done, knowing the truth ultimately shines through.

Gee, I feel better already!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Well, I think you came a long way in understanding the society in which you live and learning from it. Once we all realize that we cannot dictate personal opinion, I think we're better off. Some christians aren't going to like muslims and some muslims aren;t going to like christians. What do ya do about ti? Ya learn to accept it as you seem to have done gracefully.

Sean Hannity has a knack for rubbing people the wrong way and aggitating..even when we agree with his point. However, I think if you were privy to a month's worth of the hate that is spewed out in SOME mosque, you'd likely be just as sickened by them.

In the end, we'll either have to choose a side or die, I guess. Its coming to that. One would think that after all the ancient history the world has, we'd be beyond religious crusades by now. I guess not. The bad thing is, you don't even have to support a religion to be included in this one.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
For my .02c
(I do not belive that you have ever offended me)

I am pleased to see that you have grown.

It is easy to fall prey to"Public" opinion especialy as manufactured by the media - that is what they do. (If you want a Conspiracy there is one for you.) That is why places like ATS exist - to open the eyes of those who belive that their eyes are already open.

There are good and bad in every group, unfortunately it is far too often that a noisy minority causes people to view their particular group with some distaine. - It takes a big person to come out and say ' Hey I was wrong', and a bigger person to say 'I'm sorry' - Strange that it takes a big person to say them. As humans we often let our pride get in the way of progress.

For what it is worth, there is a Good part of the "Christian" sect that I look at with distaine and contempt.

Usually it is the faction that says "I am right, I know I am right and if you don't agree with me not only are you wrong, but I won't even listen to your opinion. Everyone has encountered them - they are usually the ones who have never been educated properly in their own doctorine, the ones who profess to know all the answers - but have not read the texts of other religions, or even the texts of their own religion. (Study and show thyself approved - NOT!)

Also odd is that as a group, the Christians fail to follow or try to emulate the one entity/individual they praise. Looking at all the blood spilled in the name of a man who stood for peace is only part of it, but it can set the tone. In as much as people pick on the Jehova's - I do give them credit, at least they are trying. (This may be a good time to mention that although I am Christian, I am more Gnostic than Christian)

Be very careful trying to make an educated decision with only part of the information. Listen (and hear) to all sides of the argument and beware of those who are extreamists for or against something - there is often a deep seeded anger pushing its way through.

Strange that humans can unite themselves under the banner of hate, but not under the banner of Love. Sure some would say we do unite under the banner of love, to that I say rubbish - watch people leaving a Church parking lot.

(Love and hate are not opposites as most belive them to be, they are sisters - both stem from passion, The opposite of love is indiferance).

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
AOB

It's very hard to offend those that are confident in their faith.
I'm a Christian and was not offended in the least.
What offends me are the Christians that preach from the book of Rush, Sean and Savage and completey ignore the Good Book.
Maybe Christians should as Dancer so wonderfully put it, read their own Bible and not twist it to suit their own perversions.

The Question: "what would Jesus do?" or "what would Jesus say"

Lord knows I'm certainly not a good Christian with all my vices; but I damn sure try to allow other folks the diginity to be what they are, "People" with all that it entails. To demean people with labels such as "wingnuts" "tulipwalkers" "wackjobs" "tinfoil hat people" etc. Does nothing to further the creative discussions I thought ATS was ment to foster. Disagreements are bound to occur in any interpersonal relationship. When we respond to those disagreements with grace and style instead of rancor shows us to be what we claim to be, "Civilized."

Peace!

[edit on 15-7-2005 by whaaa]

join