It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

physics books, help me out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
looking for books and such to help me learn quantum physics and other topics relating to it. i hope to become a major in the physics area of time and space. i want to learn everything i can about it. ive already read two books so i know sumthings but i want to know alot more. and dont worry about the mathmatics part ill learn it. any books u can think of would help, thanks

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Short of going to College the Open Courseware from MIT is the best resource to learn Physics IMO.

ocw.mit.edu...

Take a look

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
What are the books you have read? And what level are you at in your education?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Undulators, Wigglers and Their Applications is an interesting book. At 199$, you would be better off going to the library though. As a matter of fact, all four of these books are very indepth. Ive read three of them and a friend of mine is reading the other one now.

Physics books

Edit to add:

UWATA is more about mechanical processes and the radiating results. However, most physics bases are covered in these pages.

Also, send a U2U to Amorymeltzer and ask his opinion. He is the local physics junky around here

[edit on 7/14/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
well the first coarse for physics. a book about all of einsteins work (i cannot remember the name it was just short of 8 to 10 months ago. ive read sum on quatum teleportation but that wasnt a book it was just in with sum research i found at a college. im in algerbra 2 but i am goin to skip it so ill be goin into pre-calc. basically any math i have trouble in i research anything that has to do with it untill i understand it plus im only a sophmore in highschool. so i basically just research whatever i need to untill i take the full coarse. even if i dont understand the book at the time it would be useful to have once i learn what i need to.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
You are a sophmore? Read every book that says physics in the title. Seriously. If you have this rooted intrest, then nurture it. Read everything you can get your hands on. If you grab something a little advanced, make a note of it and out it back. Pick it back up later after you have read some other books and see if you can understand it. I cant stress it enough, read. There is so much material out there that you should have no problem finding somewhere to start.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
only thing i need is the math books to go with it. so if i need to i can go straight to that. learn whatever i need then move on

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I wouldn't read about QM until you have had up to differential equations...which is a long ways away. You can read conceptual stuff, but you won't understand it well w/o the math.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Dancing Wu Li Masters is good

www.amazon.com...=1121444694/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-6420279-9860017?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

so is

The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality

www.amazon.com...=1121444784/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-6420279-9860017?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

and

QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter

www.amazon.com...=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-6420279-9860017?v=glance&s=books&st=*

And of course, suplement these with more traditional (and dry) college physics textbooks.

[edit on 15-7-2005 by TruthMagnet]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
check this out:
Lectures in Physics by Richard Feyman!
Six Easy peices by Richard Feyman,

If you can grasp these then you should move on to
QED by Richard Feyman.

These books are as epic as Neutons OPTIKS !!

If you think that you can grasp Quantum Physics, these are for you!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Quantum physics and non-locality is simply the edge of a credibility precipice and you must begin by trying to understand POST-QUANTUM physics.

www.qedcorp.com...

You will either learn everything which has led scientists to crawl right up to the edge of the precipice, and then you might try to figure out if any one of them has made a mistake or, -you will charge boldly into "consensual reality" and faith based mathematics.

Try these books: Gödel Escher and Bach (Douglas R Hofstadter)
The Fabric of Reality (David Deutsch)
Satan, Cantor, And Infinity (Raymond Smullyan)

WHEN YOU ARE READY FOR THE MATH:
Start with-------Spacetime Physics (Taylor/wheeler)ISBN:0-7167-0336-X
It will grab your curiosity and won't let go.
pay attention to page 37 of this book (the section on Minkowski).

Good luck
MIB in Canada

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Undergrad I used David Griffiths QM book, and his EM theory book...his QM book was really bad though, stay away from it. At least it had solution manuals, unlike the EM theory text book.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
QED by Richard Feynman is a great place to start. Its intro to quantum lectures.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
GR, please do NOT skip Algebra II. Take all the math they offer and do not
worry too much about hard core physics books. At your age, its more
important to keep your interest up. If you can afford it, subscribe to
Discover and Scientific American. Or at least buy one of each and see if you
enjoy reading them cover to cover. Also, you are at an age where your
interests in life can drastically change over the next couple of years.
Dont kill yourself with the stuff you dont understand. You may end up
in political science if you fry your brain.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I would subscribe to magazines rather than reading Feynman before you have a good grasp of physics. If you want a good handle on physics...you gotta start with the basics first (Newtonian mechanics and electricity).

TN1

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hello Friend,

In order to start with Quantum Mechanics, make sure you follow the following Introductory Concepts:

Quantum Theory - Introduction

Mathematical Methods 1 & 2

Linear Algebra & Basic Operators

Differential Equations

Waves & Oscillations

There are many books I can suggest to you, but let me just give you the following list:

Tippler Physics - Very Good

Schaum's Outline Publications - Very Good

Bostock & Chandler (Maths mainly) - Very Good

Many others exist but just concentrate in one or two.

Good Luck

TN1

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Admireable if you are in high school. Previous post'ers are quite correct. It is not wise to skip entire math subjects because you will need them to carry out the advanced integration techniques necessary for even beginning to understand q mech. I'm a PhD student in engineering right now but I have taken advanced q mech and also quantum computing.

Basically, instead of worrying too much about the subject matter you should consider your strategy. Are you going to go to a college? You might spend time focusing on prep'ing for the SAT. The math required in the SAT is basic high school math, but you need a solid grasp of it. Have you taking AP Physics? The concepts in there aren't at the level of q mech.

Start with the basics. You might want to try going to Stephen Wolfram's NKS Summer School (web search on this). I went to this last summer, and there was a high school kid in there. Although some people think he's a quack, listening to him lecture on physics is coming straight from the source. He was in Princeton's Advanced Studies Institute (Einstein's old office).

He got his start reading about statistical mechanics at age 14 supposedly.

Actually before you muck around with quantum mechanics you need to know classical mechanics first.

You first need to get a good book on classical mechanics. Once you can explain to us how angular momentum in an atom works come back here and we'll tell you what h bar is all about.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
As everybody else has said, dont get ahead of yourself. You need the basics in many areas of mathematics and physics before you can do anything in QM.

A good classical mechanics text book would beIntroduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow.

This might seem like shameless self promotion but if you want to find more books that might be useful to you at some point check here.
Its the introductoy webpage to the mathematics in the course im taking, most of the links will have some books that are useful for the course.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
If you're looking for a physics 1 & 2 textbook, Halliday and Resnick have a good one - Fundamentals of Physics...

Lots of information and lots of problems, especially the "extended edition."

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
hi, you can find some ebooks at:

www.netlibrary.com

if you are a student at university, you may have the access to netlib

[edit on 19-7-2005 by kkkyyy]

new topics

top topics

join