It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Soda Cans May Soon Have Warnings Like Cigarette Packs.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I always vote on these articles. If someone took the time and effort I might as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yeah, Sporty, you make a good point (as did the other poster).

It's a bloomin' litigious society we live in....when are we going to actually stand up and take responsibility for our own actions, without laying blame on a third party like that?

And Spliff? I almost wet myself with the hairdryer and Nytol warnings. Thankyou SO much for the giggle

(can I sue the weather service for telling me it was only -20 outside, when it was really -28? Those...those....grrrr. That 8 degrees is a lot when you don't have it
)

Edit: I voted "yes" too.

[edit on 14-7-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well normally I'd say that this is pointless. But you know what, I think the obesity problem has gotten so severe why don't we just put the warnings on so that they have no excuse for their position.

I know just a year or two ago I was drinking two cans a day. Now that I've dropped that number to maybe one a week or less I'm feeling so much better. I feel less sluggish, and a lot more active. So if we would just drink less soda pop maybe we'd all feel a little better. Of course one thing to consider is that children never read something unless there is a warning label, in which case they become slightly more aware.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I voted yes, although I have no strong feelings on the matter. I think though that if you start putting warning labels on everything, people will assume that anything without a warning label is safe. What happened to educating yourself and plain old common sense? I pity the person who needs warning labels to tell him soft drinks are fattening, or cigarettes are bad for you... what happens if he goes on holiday to a country without warning labels on their products? Does the food magically become healthy?

I think there should be a set of facts that everyone should just be assumed to know- cigarettes are bad, junk food is bad, etc. Maybe for things that are a little more obscure- like asbestos-containing products causing cancer- warrant labels, but not soda cans. If a kid is growing up without learning simple facts about nutrition, then he has bigger problems that need to be dealt with than getting fat.

-koji K.

[edit on 14-7-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
With the amount of smokeers in the United States, its obvious that no one gives a rat's behind about warnings on the pack stating the damage that cigarettes can cause. So who will care if a warning stating the high sugar content in a soft drink is on the can? If they were worried about the contents of the soda, its called the nutritional fact chart. Its on every package can or box of food.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Oh come on! Two sodas a DAY? HA! The only time I EVER drank two a day was when they were the last two in the pack and I had to wait to buy more until the next day.
I've been known to go through a 12 pack in three days. I admit I'm hooked to the caffeine, and have been for years. Do I know it's bad for me? Have for years, occasionally stop drinking soda until I pull an all night gaming session again then get drawn back in. Do I need a warning label? Of course not.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I say leave the soda the way it is. If you dont know by now it has sugar and can make you fat and rot your teeth..
whats the sense.

Its like prescription pills when the bottle says: To be taken orally...duh

Just a waste of time and money even for the sake of rednecks. They know this much too.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Tinkleflower brings up a good point on this subject.

I just find it ironic that with all the palava about sugar, none of the activists seem the slight bit concerned about the preservatives and colourings in soda.

all that and caffeine too.

Unless you live in Canada you might not know this, but the only soft drinks to have caffeine in them are colas. No other soft drinks are allowed caffeine. Not even the American caffeine boost known as Mountain Dew.

But now we have 'energy drinks' like RedBull, and energy drinks are allowed caffeine. So Pepsi.co gets the Idea to change Mountain Dew into a new product called Mountain Dew Energy. Energy drinks need a warning on them stating that they are not for kids.

(Sorry, but these were the best images I could get.)
The warning is highlighted on the back.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
For all the caffeine addicts in the world, there is now Jolt 2 chewing gum.
APparently they refined the recipe from the cola (twice the sugar, twice the caffeine) and turned it into a chewing gum.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
On average I consume about 6 litres of Mountain Dew a day.

I also smoke 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day, down from 3-4 packs a day.

I became addicted to both right about the time I hit puberty. It's not a difficult argument to make that at that time I did not have the faculties to make an informed decision about my future health.

When I get cancer, it's gonna be hard to decide who to sue.

So I'll probably sue them both.

On a completely unrelated note, I think the level of litigeousness in America is nauseating, but when you've got 2 lawyers in school for every 1 practicing, you need a lot of cases to keep them occupied.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
First of all......this should be your first indication...

The industry spends over $500 million each year promoting the sale of these worthless products(soda pop).

And worthless they are. I'm surprised that noone has centered in on the everyday conspiracies that continue to pigeonhole are brains into a chemically reactive mindset......if we have artificial stimulations(caffiene) then all our experiences and learned responses will be referenced with that particular chemical reference.....all fine nd good until we realize that it is that much more difficult for the body to be even motivated to recall something in a different mindset.....I'd get into the actual chemical /physical explanation but it is very long winded.

Suffice to say that as a basic explanation, you're more likely to remember something when yu are in a simialr 'mood' or have a similar 'feeling.'...after all, feelings are really the chemical interplays in our body.

How does this relate to soda?

Long story short.....it's a dehydrant. The sugar is a dehydrant. The caffiene is a dehydrant. The carbonated water is a dehydrant. Everything about soda is a dehydrant And when you're dehydrated, your body has to compensate, and it turns out that there is a mental cost....(shock)

Water
Since the brain is 70% water, this essential fluid is vital for your memory. In fact, water accelerates the functioning of the brain as a whole, and when it is dehydrated, it works at a slower pace. This is particularly true when it comes to memory; a dehydrated brain releases the hormone cortisol, which adversely affects the brain's capacity to store information and create memory.

In addition, cortisol causes adrenalin to be released, which prompts the brain to function in a more primary, instinctive way; this also affects our mental functions and memory.

askmen.com...

Keep in mind that this is a cumulative effect. The more soda you drink, the longer your body is going to be in such a state.......there's a reason why mental illness is treated with chemicals......consistent manipulation of neurophysiology goes a long way in determining your mood and your ability to assimilate information.....more directly, your ability to be motivated out of context.

Also, remember that different people react differently to different ratios, younger people will be unlikely to notice the effects(indeed, if you never knew the alternative, how would you notice?), etc. This is your standard disclaimer.

Not to mention that Aluminum has been implicated in Alzheimers Disease, which a large portion of soda is consumed from.

There you have a seemingly over paranoid post. But it's not. Look into some basic neurology....it's not that complicated, I promise. They should not only have warnings on the dehydration, but the intentions of soda purveyors.......btw.......when I found out about this, I dropped soda like the worst habit I've ever had.......but that doesn't mean I don't indulge every once and a while.....it's all about context...

A couple of sites with some basic info....I didn't have too much time to draw up a more comprehensive post....but you can also do a google on cortisol and learn about what it does so as to draw the lines yourself....I recommend it.
www.unhinderedliving.com...
www.world-mysteries.com...

[edit on 15-7-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
And this is why I drink water

(and tea, admittedly. But that's far less harmful than eleventy hundred cans of soda, non?)

It's very telling to note that most of us don't realise...when we feel the first pangs of thirst, we're already dehydrated.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Hmm.. If I should get my girlfriend pregnant can I sue her for not telling me that having sex with her might cause her to spawn baby Veltro?

Someone tell me now so I can take advantage of this potentially lucrative opportunity before the government requires warning tattoos on womens naughty bits.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Veltro......you're fired.

Your analogy doesn't apply.

But hey......at least you can blame it on the soda....

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkleFlower
It's very telling to note that most of us don't realise...when we feel the first pangs of thirst, we're already dehydrated.

Very true........also, the recommended dosage of water daily is 64 ounces.......or a super big gulp. Seems a whole lot easier to actually consume now, doesn't it?

To kind of wander a little further on this point, consider some of the advertising campaigns for soda.....hot day, dripping sweat, the droplets of water splashing from all directions and the satisfied drinker through all phases - from opening the soda to gulping the soda......btw, it's wierd to me that the drinker is always orgastically happy even pror to the initial drink, but that's just me. My point is that, the soda advertisement's are inherently propagating that their product will is the answer for dehydration(which, as TF put it, is thirst). I'm tellin' you..........there's something not right there....

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Yes we can be safe and label some things. But this labeling thing can be taken too far.

Troy

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
ya, drink diet soda, that artificial sweetner is so much healthier!! my pediatrician back in the 80's warned me about aspertame!!

as for water, our well water??? you've got to be kidding!!! my pets would prefer to go outside and drink out of the mudpuddles!!
the rest of us will drink the soda, or the juice, or tea whatever, but don't drink the water, at least not unless you boil it, and flavor it.....mexico's water is probably safer!

I say they should put a warning label on everyproduct that they know is dangerous to our health, computers, plastic bowls, just about all our food, including fresh produce, the tap water, and well, by the time they are done, american will end up being the most paranoid, sickly people in the world!!!

maybe the gov't should take the time to just look at who that are handing out all the subsidies to, and whom they aren't...changing their policies there might make a huge difference! they want us to eat more fruit and vegatables, but they don't subsidize those, so if we were all to eat the balanced diet (whatever that is today, it changes quite often too), well, there wouldn't be enough of them to go around anyways.

but, I'd bet that the state's piggy banks will start to develope their own obesity problems as they start to tax the heck out of all these "unhealthy" food items!

[edit on 16-7-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

as for water, our well water??? you've got to be kidding!!! my pets would prefer to go outside and drink out of the mudpuddles!!
the rest of us will drink the soda, or the juice, or tea whatever, but don't drink the water, at least not unless you boil it, and flavor it.....mexico's water is probably safer!

Yup - diet soda isn't exactly good for a person. Then again, it's like most things - once in awhile won't kill you (unless you're oddly allergic and have anaphylactic reaction, which would suck).

As for well water...there's bottled water out there, but even better, there are zillions of water filters; no reason why we can't all be drinking safer water

(that said, herbal teas are a nice alternative, too - assuming they're made with the right ingredients, and not the pseudo-herbal stuff that costs $9/bottle...)

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I concur, you can definitely put in a good water filter, and drink better water. You know the bad thing about some filters when it comes to Chlorine (It says it removes taste and odor only, that still upsets me to think about it). So, basically, I'm still drinking Chlorine, unless I get a filter that actually takes it out. I would definitely read up before purchasing a filter.

Troy

top topics

<< 1   >>

join