It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Triple sunset:Planet discovered in 3 star system! (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
For the first time ever a 3 star system has been discovered.This comes up straight frome the science fiction universe.IF you have seen the move "pitch black" then you can imagine how would it fell like to be on the planet

news.yahoo.com
A newly discovered planet has bountiful sunshine, with not one, not two, but three suns glowing in its sky.
It is the first extrasolar planet found in a system with three stars. How a planet was born amidst these competing gravitational forces will be a challenge for planet formation theories.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

WOW a tri star system.Scientists are discovering extra solar planets every year.I hope they find a planet with life very soon.

Related News Links:
space.com

[edit on 14-7-2005 by warthog911]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
wouldnt it be a tad hot for life as we know it? 3 suns? ouch! I dont think we ever gonna find life. We're just a fluke.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
My guess is it would be relatively regulated due to the fact three suns would have an imense gravitational pull. The planet would have to be on an extremely fast orbit to be close enough to be super hot but if it were going relatively slow it would be out maybe far enough to stay reasonable life would be plausible on such a planet if it were the equivalent of uranus or plutos distance from our sun. There are a lot of variables obviously, I would be interested in seeing what kind of stellar phenomenon and storms happen on the planet. Probably some really interesting things!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
In that Yahoo article, you will find that observation of close-in hot Jupiters can not be explained without a lot of fudge factoring using the planetary accretion model 'accepted by the scientific community'.

That is the problem with dogma.

Unless backed up by exhaustive observation, it is worth no more than a papal bull.

There are many other equally valid theories of planetary formation.

One is that planets (and some stars) are formed as droplets in hypernova explosions- droplets that are formed complete, then expelled by the blast, all in a matter of minutes- finally coming to rest in stable orbits around another star.

This points out that planets can exist in triple systems- and Centauri.

Thanks for the post

top topics

join