It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternatives to Embryonic Stem Cell Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I've learned that there are many alternate ways to gather stem cells from our own body rather than taking the cells away from an embryo. I'm just wondering, if there's all these other alternatives then why is it so important to use embryonic stem cells over the less controversial alternatives.(BTW, I'm not against embryonic stem cell research, I'm just wondering if all this controversey is worth it)

Here's a link - Scroll down until the heading called Alternatives to Embryonic Stem Cells - www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org...

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Very good question, add to this the fact that there has only been success with adult stem cells being used and no success with embryonic ones. The only thing I can come up with is most people are fascinated with death and being in control. People also do not like being told what they can and can't do. There is a right and a wrong and just because a person can do something doesn't mean we should.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This might help in terms of perspective:

"Large numbers of embryonic stem cells can be relatively easily grown in culture, while adult stem cells are rare in mature tissues and methods for expanding their numbers in cell culture have not yet been worked out. This is an important distinction, as large numbers of cells are needed for stem cell replacement therapies."

Taken from FAQ here

Hope this helps

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Thanks Tinkleflower for the website it helped me alot.

I guess I would just like to see how far adult stem cell research can go before we move onto something as controversial as embryonic stem cell research. Even though embryonic stem cell research may have greater potential at the moment.

new topics

top topics

join