It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


"A Bomb Test" (This is a true biography)

page: 1

log in


posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 06:01 PM
Hello, my name is brodband and I have been at ATS before, but I have lost thought of my other name so I decided to make a new one. I met a guy down my road whos uncle was sationed out at Area51 for quite some time whenever all of the bomb tests were going on. He has given me permission to publish this document which I have copyrighted. For security and saftey, the persons name has been changed to Bill Fryer (fake name). He is not alive at this time but the document is still extremely secret. No joke, its not one of the things where somebody thinks its secret and it really isnt. This is a journal he wrote. I would really like it if the mods could put this under short stories. Enjoy. Note: I will only post 1 page at a time (over time) (paper) because this story is 9 pages long.

A Bomb Test

1. My Unit had been at Camp Desert Rock for over two and a half months. We were Company B of the 95th Engineer Battalion (C) assigned to support and participate in the TEAPOT series of Atomic Tests for 1955. My company was the advance unit down the open the Base Camp and the second week of Octover 1954 and later, when all tests had been completed, we would close the base down and depart. Out departure date was on 5 July 1955.

2. I looked forward to this assignment and had a keen desire to see just what the actual, on site effect such an explosion would have upon both myself and other participants. My interest went back to the end of World War Two.

3. I had been on Okinawa at the end of the war and was expecting to be in the invasoin of Japan if they didnt give up. I felt then and still today, that the two A-BOMBS that had been used, had probably saved my life. My job in the INfantry was the heavy machine gun and mortar, neigher job fortold a long life in a shooting war. I had make it up to Japan and looked over the remains of both Nagasaki and Hiroshima during December, 45. The results had been very impressive becasue only one bomb had done the damage and havoc to each of the cities. Other cities I had seen were as bad or even worse as a result of fire-bombings and constant attacks, but none of them had been this extensivly damaged by one bomb. This fact had greatly impressed me then and forever afterward.

4. All of us had been kept very busy during the build up period before the first test bomb explosion. There had been thousands of feet of trenches to be put in for troop observers to stay in during the explosion. In addition, construction of emplacements and structures continued on a daily basis in and around thte test explosion area. Equipment was brought up and sited in the area of expected explosoin to test for their ability to with-stand the actual blast effects and thru instrumentation, the measured radiation abounts both inside and outside of each item. We had been very busy at Base Camp during this perio. Tents wre installed for accomadatoin of up to ten thousand trops participants, to include Army and Marine forces. The Air Forces were housed at Indian Sprins, a gunnery and boming field roughly 21 miles south of Dessert Rock and Camp Mercury where the civilian personnel lived.

5. My unit had been notified that they would participate as observers at one of the shots to be fired at sun up the next day. This ment we would arise at 0300 hours the next morning, have breakfast and pick up sack lunches. We would move out at or about 0400 hous by bus to the forward area. We would be breiefed at the treanch area and then enter the trenches within a half hour before the actual explosion was expected to take place. We would sit on the ground at the bottom of the trench, with our poncho pulled over our bodies, heads and arms resting on our knees one minute before the explosion and until the blast had passed over our trench, then an aditional period until the implosion came back and againpassed over our heads in the opposite direction, at that time we would rise up and look over the top of our trench and observe the fireball of the explosion as it went upward. Afterward, we would be allowed out of the trench to look at the visual effects remaining after the explosion. No one was to advance forward unless told to do so and then onlly after proper test readings had been accomplished.

To be continued... Chapters 6-10

[edit on 13-7-2005 by brodband]


log in