It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ridding oneself of a Real evil player.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 07:30 AM
link   
JetAudio - a "real" alternative to RealOne?

Lets face it, RealOne player is pure evil.

Realplayer frequently contacts realnetworks while you�re online (even if you turn this feature off), sending them god knows what info from the hard drive, tries to entice you via pop ups to spend money, plays havoc with the windows registry and aggressively picks fights with other applications over who�s going to play what file.

It contains programs that constantly run, using up resources and interfering with other applications.

If you attempt to close down these programs (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) they will simply start up again soon as you do ANYTHING.

If you have Realone player installed press �Ctrl + Alt + Delete� (do it now, it�s safe � click on �cancel� to close dialogue box) and you will likely find the following two applications running.

realsched.exe
FileDescription : RealNetworks Scheduler
InternalName : schedapp

rnathchk.exe
FileDescription : RealNetworks ATH Check App
InternalName : rnathchk

If you want a good look at what applications are running on the computer install the free Ad-aware program from lavasoft (see below) and run a scan. I would recommend you run this to find out what applications realplayer has installed so you can then check that they are all cleaned out after you uninstall realplayer (run Ad-aware scan with realplayer open).

Use �Add/Remove Programs� (Start Menu/Settings/Control panel) to uninstall realplayer.

After uninstalling Realplayer, realsched.exe may still be there. After deleting it separately, when you attempt to empty the trash it will pop straight back out of the recycle bin, ending up in some God forsaken folder somewhere in windows.

Use �Disk Cleanup�(Start Menu/ProgramsAccessories/System Tools) to empty the recycle bin after deleting this.

In one instance Running Norton System Works (a top utilities application) after such an uninstall, found over FOUR HUNDRED invalid registry entries and over TWO HUNDRED invalid shortcuts related to realplayer � no wonder things were a bit sluggish!

So having rid oneself of this evil, how does one and still play Real media files?

Here are two great FREEWARE programs that between them will display any image, video, or audio file that you are ever likely to come across, including Real file formats (rm , ram), streaming audio/video and DivX files.

No pop ups, adware or spyware. (as far as I have been able to ascertain thus far)

IrfanView: www.irfanview.com...

IrfanView is simply one the best still image viewers available and will play all the most common audio/video files INCLUDING RAM and RM

It has high quality basic image editing tools as well as instant thumbnails, instant auto/manual slide show, screen capture, and batch rename/conversion. It will create panorama images (join two or more images together), and will even work with ico files (make your own desktop icons) And this all happens VERY FAST.

IrfanView also has the sweetest sound of any player full stop - great for those mp3�s!

A couple of disadvantages are a few very minor bugs and a complete absence of any sound manipulation tools, eg no equaliser (for those who like things uncluttered this would be seen as a plus).

File size of iview380.exe is only 822 KB. Don�t forget to download the 3.5MB all_plugins.exe as well.

JetAudio: www.cowon.com...

After you have installed iview380.exe and all_plugins.exe, there will still be some audio/video files that you can�t play (this depends to some extent on what codecs are available on your computer)

The solution may be to install JetAudio as well.

JetAudio is a beautiful full-featured player with excellent sound and very high quality video.

It has everything you could possibly need, including a twenty-band graphic equaliser, CD ripper, and burner. (Although I still prefer to use Cdex for ripping and Nero Burning Rom for writing CD�s).

JetAudio even has a clock and timer/alarm and WILL PLAY RM AND RAM FILES.
Some may feel this player is �over featured�, however it still maintains a remarkably uncluttered and pleasant interface with a choice of two standard �skins�.

A small disadvantage may be the rather large file size at 17 MB (JAD5.exe).

DivX codec: www.divx.com...

If you are still unable to play DivX files you may need to install DivX codec v5.05

A few more great FREE apps�.

Ad-aware: www.lavasoft.de...

Find out about uninvited applications that are running on your system, easily deletes data mining cookies.

WordWeb: www.wordweb.co.uk...

A great little dictionary.

ChaosPro www.chaospro.de...

Generate full screen quality fractals (then use IrfanView to make windows icons). (Resource hungry).

Mozilla: www.mozilla.org...

The latest version of Mozilla is effective internet browser. Even nice just to have a change from internet-explorer (you don�t have to uninstall internet-explorer, so have a choice of either) Has inbuilt pop up stopper and can block specified cookies.

CDex: www.cdex.n3.net...

Should be called Jack.

KNOPPIX:

www.knopper.net...

(Open Source) Try out LINUX without uninstalling the windows operating system. This 701 MB CD will boot up from the CD rom drive. Simply insert the CD and restart the computer. It has the works; -Open Office, image viewers, media players and games. CAN EVEN ACCESS ALL EXISTING FILES ON C DRIVE

To go back to windows simply �log out� remove the CD and restart the computer.

[Edited on 19-8-2003 by thepresidentsbrain]

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Excellent post

Other evil programs that should be gotten rid off are Internet explorer, outlook express, oh hell, any Microsoft OS should be dumped.

See this article for more information.

Link to Microsuck.com

Enough to get anybody worried.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
When I had Windows 98...I tried to uninstall RealOne...my computer crashed, I even had a hard time getting back on to fix it. I had to end up reinstalling it

REALONE bites the big one.

I love my WINAMP!

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I hate realplayer, I had problems too after uninstalling it. Its an evil player made by evil people. grrrrr at them

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I too always hated real player, real networks and all their products.

I always wondered also why the icon for the multimedia section is the 'real networks' logo?

Even the media player logo would have fited better.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
RealOne player is demonic! And that is the truth. If you have the original do not update it. The only reason I keep Real Player anyway is so I can run those .ram media files.

Just a shame there isn't a 'real' alternative...

[Edited on 19-8-2003 by MrEisenhower]

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrEisenhower
RealOne player is demonic! And that is the truth. If you have the original do not update it. The only reason I keep Real Player anyway is so I can run those .ram media files.

Just a shame there isn't a 'real' alternative...

[Edited on 19-8-2003 by MrEisenhower]

LOL
i wish there were better media players out there *sighs* i will have to pray that one day there will be one

welcome back btw MrEisenhower

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I would never install Real Player on my system.

It's been known for their hidden spyware sending packets of your system information to their customer and tracks your online habbits.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thanks. I have been getting major pop ups on my computer and I have RealOne. Its so bad that sometimes I get 30-60 pop ups and Ihave to shut down. i was wondering why that was happening. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Colonel. if your getting major pop ups it is probably something other than realone.

It may be another trojan -I suggest you run an ad-aware scan (see original post).

And use Moziila which has an in built in pop up blocker (see original post) .

Cheers

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepresidentsbrain
Colonel. if your getting major pop ups it is probably something other than realone.

It may be another trojan -I suggest you run an ad-aware scan (see original post).

And use Moziila which has an in built in pop up blocker (see original post) .

Cheers

Thanks, much. I'll let you know how it works.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   
For pop-ups, I recommend my good friend Pop-Up Stopper. I alway use it when I browse the web. You can get the free version here = www.panicware.com...

[Edited on 19-8-2003 by Megalodon]

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   
You can use a wirewall to regulate chatter between Real and the Internet. I suggest Sygate. I would also suggest Mozilla for browsing. It has excellent anit-popup features and multi thread viewing. I switched about four months ago and dread having to do anything with IE.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thanks, my computer has been running smoother since I uninstalled Real Evil.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I can suggest you to use Real alternative and quick time alternative.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
For Pop-ups I use Ad-Muncher, it works nice for the popups and also banner ads on websites. Another useful feature of Ad-Muncher for the paranoid folk is the IP Scrambler. This just bounces your traffic off of many Proxy servers, giving a random IP, which mostly is not traceable back to you....but you never know....

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Do you have kazaa? cause if you do it has a pop up add thing that you cant get rid of as far as I know, et kazaa light... its better way better. but I tried and tried to get rid of those pop ups but I gave up eventually but one day got a viruse and had to refrag the ole hardrive... and that got rid of em... It would give me like 30 pop ups occasionally also... I dont even have kazaa light now though

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hi there,
I'd also suggest VideoLAN:
VideoLAN

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 06:04 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Does anyone have any idea how to capture streaming REAL MEDIA?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join