It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History of a Chicago Street Gang

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I was rather excited when I came across a website for the gang, the "Gaylords".

As a teenager, I was an associate member of a gang, and the Gaylords were one of our allies. Tough, street savy, and never backing down froma fight, they got a lot of respect, from their allies and enemies alike.

A Brief Excerpt:

The Gaylords Street gang has its beginnings in the area of grand and noble on Chicago's north side. The Gaylords were originally a softball club in the late 1940s or early 1950s, that eventually converted in to a street gang around 1954. Softball clubs and social clubs were common in Chicago and many neighborhoods had them. Other softball clubs at that time included the Scorpions, Ramrods and the Demons. It is very important to say here, that for many years after the 1950s, gangs referred to themselves as "clubs" in Chicago.

It has been reported that the name of the Gaylords softball club was at first called "Gayle's Lords," because they were sponsored by a local tavern that was either called Gayle's or the owners wife bore the name Gayle. Later the name, Gayle's Lords, became shortened down to Gay Lords. The reason for this is unknown, its probably because the usage of the word "Gay" by society at the time to reflect a cheerful mood

The Gaylords adopted their name at a time period in which homosexuality had nothing to do with the word "Gay." It was a trendy and widely used word of the time that described a proud, happy mood. The word "Gay"could be found back then in the names of businesses, books and even in movies such as: The Gay Intruders (1948), and The Gay Amigo (with western star, Cisco Kid, 1949).

History of the Gaylords

What is interesting, is that most gangs started out as 'clubs'. These clubs, consisting of one ethnic group for the most part, would protect their neighborhoods from criminals and trespassers. The Gaylords, along with the Simon City Royals, and Stoned Greasers, were a white gang. As the influx of Puerto Rican and Mexican immigrants into the Northside gained momentum, the whites started moving to the 'burbs. The Gaylords stayed, and battled, to at least the mid-1990's.

I have nothing but respect for this gang. I have known many of them, and would have put my life in their hands. This website is an introduction into a gang, and a white one at that. ( dispelling the myth that gangs are only black or Latino).

The GAylords have a book coming out soon, which I am going to purchase.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This made me think of a hilarious piece on "Chappell's Show" about gang history. It is done in a Frontline type style and follows a rivalry between two gangs in the early 80s.

It also takes place in Chicawga.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
As a teenager, I was an associate member of a gang, and the Gaylords were one of our allies. Tough, street savy, and never backing down froma fight, they got a lot of respect, from their allies and enemies alike.

They'd have to be, with a name like that! Seriously though, excellent and very interesting post.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Growing up near Chicago in the early & mid 80's the gaylords were the first gang i ever heard of. I did see alot of their taggings in a west suburb of Chicago called Bloomingdale back then.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Some Images....

top topics

join