It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NASA to Take Photos of Abandoned Equipment on Moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Conspiracy theorist that say that we never made it to the moon will soon be silenced when NASA launches it's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter(LRO) in 2008. The LRO will orbit the moon for 1 year and is equipped with a 1/2 meter resolution camera that will be able to take snapshots of the equipment that was left behind from the Apollo missions over 30 years ago.

science.nasa.gov
For the first time since the 1970s, a NASA spacecraft will get clear pictures of Apollo relics on the Moon. Better pictures are coming. In 2008 NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter will carry a powerful modern camera into low orbit over the Moon's surface. Its primary mission is not to photograph old Apollo landing sites, but it will photograph them, many times, providing the first recognizable images of Apollo relics since 1972.

"I would say the rovers will look angular and distinct," says Mark Robinson, research associate professor at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, and Principal Investigator for LROC. "We might see some shading differences on top from seats, depending on the sun angle. Even the rovers' tracks might be detectable in some instances."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Of course some might wish to hold on to their theory that man has never been to the moon, but it is going to be hard to make that argument after we see dozens and dozens of photos that document what remains of the lunar landers. The landers, and the rovers should be clearly visible with these new photos.

The main purpose of the LRO is not to take pictures of the landers, but to survey the moon as a whole. NASA is just giving in to the constant cry of "it's a lie" that conspiracy theorist have been declaring for years. I'm sure that NASA would be more than proud to display these photos without any other reason than bragging rights, but it's nice of them to think of conspiracy theories when they take them.

Related News Links:
lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov

EDIT: Link to Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter images that show moon landing sites. You can see the tracks the astronauts left in the moon dust.
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 31-5-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Oh but wait. How do we know that equipment belongs to "current earth" times? This could be equipment left behind from a million years ago...really...some say and there is some proof to the fact that history keeps repeating itself, that mankind has been here before and has achieved even higher levels of technology than at present.

I sure hope they can analyze and show proof that this equipment is ours in the here and now.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Oh but wait. How do we know that equipment belongs to "current earth" times? This could be equipment left behind from a million years ago...really...some say and there is some proof to the fact that history keeps repeating itself, that mankind has been here before and has achieved even higher levels of technology than at present.

I sure hope they can analyze and show proof that this equipment is ours in the here and now.

I would call that the old "you debunked my theory so here's an even outlandish one" ploy

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
double post... sorry

[edit on 13-7-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
LOL... This saga will never end. Thats my point.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
You're absolutely right. There will always be some that deny no matter how much proof they give us. I've never been to Mexico City. How do I know it exist? All I've seen are pictures. I can't wait until they start sending back the images of the hidden moon base on the other side

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Maybe its the Equipment that Russians Left on the Moon!

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This wont stop a thing...
just like a movie with a cliff hanger ending..
check back in a year for the sequel

"THEY PHOTOSHOPPED THEM!"

it will never end until they open the Moon Landing theme park next to the landing site and offer guided tours...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It would seem NASA has to do SOMETHING to try to repair its reputation after having unrecoverably DISCREDITED itself by offering up 'that totally bogus and hack amateurish at best' official 'visual record' of the Apollo 'Moon landings'.

(See Space Exploration/An End To The Moon Conspiracy!)

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Text Red This is great news!

I will FINALLY find my car keys!!

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
First the humorous: or they had Industrial Light and Magic load the pics on a flash card before launch-

Now the serious: so NASA is capable of half-meter resolution, eh? When all the 'public' missions so far give us non-NRO blur-pics (since we don't have the high-resolution decode key) !

The original Lunar Orbiter missions in the sixties were precursors to Apollo, so are we to assume NASA are actually really going to send a few humans back to the Moon as promised and planned for and promised and planned for (can you hear all those desk-jockey paychecks being ripped open year after year after year?).

Finally, notice the military terminology. Recon. Fascinating.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Why Is NASA waiting 24 years to do this? Answer. Cus they have been DE-bunked and 98% of thier funding comes from you American's TAX $$$ ,so they have REAL reasons for LYING baout a supposed moon landings, just like all the mars missions are FAKE, USA/RUSSIA/Europe have Tesla's tech and they have been to the moon and they have Collonies on Venis and Mars, but the Appolo missions were faked, the tech they REALY use to go to other planets is GREATER than the shuttle and Our Russian Proton lifters.

jra

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
Why Is NASA waiting 24 years to do this? Answer. Cus they have been DE-bunked and 98% of thier funding comes from you American's TAX $$$ ,so they have REAL reasons for LYING baout a supposed moon landings, just like all the mars missions are FAKE, USA/RUSSIA/Europe have Tesla's tech and they have been to the moon and they have Collonies on Venis and Mars, but the Appolo missions were faked, the tech they REALY use to go to other planets is GREATER than the shuttle and Our Russian Proton lifters.

Ummm... is it just me or did this make no sense at all? So NASA is going to take high resolution maps of the Moon (and of the Apollo landing sites) because they have been "DE-bunked"? Huh?

I have yet to see any evidence that shows the Moon landings to be fake. I'm glad NASA is doing this. Although i'm sure it won't convince people like SiberianTiger, but who cares. I just want to see these for myself. And speaking of photographing the Moon. Has there been any pics from the ESA probe that's orbiting the Moon at all? I haven't seen anything yet from that.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hmm..

How bout they allow and independent organization to send a probe to orbit the moon - then we may have proof!

Having some half baked, psuedo-military organization (NASA) police themselves seems less than ideal to me.

I have no specific doubts about them going to the Moon, but their complete monopoly over space (and the tightly controlled release of data from missions) has always seemed a bit suspicious to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Well everyone knows that the only photos theyll be sending back are of Edam and Mozzarella - IT'S MADE OF CHEESE PEOPLE!

But seriously, by the time we as a planet get our arses in gear and do something other than send bits of metal floating to their usual destruction in space at immense expense and with little being gained in proportion, we will already be well on the road to self destruction. Well, were already trekking that very road, but we'll be seeing the apocolypse at the end of the tunnell before any of our countries make real headway in outer space. Thats my opinion anyway.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I actually believe that NASA did go to the moon, but then I also believe that there is an alien moon base !

Bet we don't see pics of that

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Mostly Just wonder if it is really worth the cost to send a craft to just photograph the surface of the moon. But I do not know all of the why for how comes.
But I do think that about the only thing that will help convince the people who always say conspicry is if the photographs are sent back in the clear, and not encripted.

Fig

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Finally, notice the military terminology. Recon. Fascinating.

That's what got me wondering...why are they doing that kind of resolution on the MOON? Best way to do a survey before building something?

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If they had tech to go to the moon back then they would have had tech to build the U.S. Space shuttle capable of going to the moon, the reason they haven't is because they never went to the moon.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiberianTiger
If they had tech to go to the moon back then they would have had tech to build the U.S. Space shuttle capable of going to the moon, the reason they haven't is because they never went to the moon.

The Shuttle was designed for Cold War implementation, I don't see any problem accepting that we've been to the Moon. All you need is a viable delivery system and advanced math. My strong point..........

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join