It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rice Upbeat On N. Korea Talks (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
U.S. Secretary of State, Condoleeza Rice expressed optimism toward the chance of successfully negotiating a N.Korean agreement to give up their nuclear arsenal at this months 6-way talks in China. Talks, last year, were unsuccessful and the U.S threatened to take N. Korea to the U.N. Security Council.

www.cnn.com
SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says Washington and Seoul are very optimistic they can make some headway at six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear program to be held this month.

But after meeting in Seoul Wednesday with South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun and Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon on the last leg of her Asian tour, America's top diplomat admitted there was much work still ahead.

"We are very optimistic that our joint efforts to improve the security situation on the Korean peninsula could indeed bear fruit, although, of course, there is still much work to be done," Rice said at a news conference, according to Reuters

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess we will know in a couple of weeks, whether N. Korea is serious this time around. They have proven in the past that they are totally unpredictable, when it comes to
keeping promises to negotiate in good faith on this subject.
Even if they were agree to end their nuclear weapons program, there is no guarantee they would not renege again, as they did in 2002.

Of course, Ms Rice wants to put the best face on the possibility for progress with the N. Koreans but one has to wonder whether Kim Jong Il is playing us or not. Unfortunately, I do not have much faith in U.S negotiaters actually brokering a deal much less the North Koreans honoring it.

Related News Links:
www.chicagotribune.com
www.msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea to resume six nation talks!
NEWS: The Two Koreas agree to resume seeking peaceful end to Nuclear standoff
(submission) (news) North Korea Links Nukes to U.S. Threats

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Even if they were agree to end their nuclear weapons program, there is no guarantee they would not renege again, as they did in 2002.

True, but at the same time, didn't they reneg because of some poorly chosen words by Bush? I personally would probably have done the same if I were in Kim Jong's shoes, although admittedly it is a rather immature way of handling things.

new topics

join