It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanotech - soon we will be able to play god for real.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
news.nanoapex.com...

Very good site with news / info on nanotech

some highlights :

Elimination of drugs :
www.israel21c.org...

An Israeli team led by Dr. Dafna Benayahu of Tel Aviv University's [profile] Sackler Faculty of Medicine is working with 27 other research groups from throughout Europe to revolutionize medical technology. Their goal in the five-year project is to develop the nano-scale tools needed to create a 'tissue machine' - a device using stem cells that could produce, for the first time, a specific population of cells or tissue needed to heal a variety of ailments.

And the overall view :
news.nanoapex.com...

Dr. Hall describes a nanotechnology timeline which he breaks into five separate and distinct stages. We are currently in stage one, and now have the ability to image and engage in rudimentary manipulation of molecules. Stage two involves simple self-assembly, and in stage three we will have the ability to use self-assembly to create complex machines. In stage four, we will have the ability to make complex molecules from simple molecules, and in stage five we will be able to design macrosystems atom by atom. Although Hall does not make specific predictions as to when these capabilities will emerge, his writing makes it clear that he foresees these developments within the next few decades.

---------

Another thing ive seen discussed, will be our newfound ability to create artificial neural networks... translation : artificial intelligence on a scope of actual life, we will be able to create something like our own brain, except that it is going to be man made. There is alot of research being done into that particular field right now.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
good god thats frightening, humans playing god....i just have a bad feling about that.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Personally, I see this the same way as you would a "super weapon." A superweapon is usually some ancient artificat of immense power that can be used for good or evil depending on whose hands it's in. This is just an unconventional interpretation of that.

I look forward to the developments in this technology. Five years is surprisingly short, I feel. I hope they don't fade away.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
good god thats frightening, humans playing god....i just have a bad feling about that.

Nuclear fission and fusion, global warming, man-made plagues, cloning. Humans have been playing God for a long time.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
hehe speaking of artificial intelligence.. has anyone seen the anime called chobits? it has an interesting concept.. its set in the future, and instead of computers, people have these female androids following them around, and they browse the net with them, email, and they do chores for their masters. Its not a crazy idea at all, we might be able to realize it in 30 years.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I agree with Kitsunegari, playing God is something that we shouldnt really be doing....But then again what is the true defination of becoming a God, ok we can manipulate and enviroment to produce results but didnt God create everything out of nothing....

Maybe the nanotechnology will be able to help us manipulate the enviroment a little more, but wll it truely allow us to create new things with nanotechnology as the building blocks ?

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They (scientists) want to be able to eventually create everything using nanotech.. Using nano machines to process their own materials, duplicate themselves and basically GROW the macro machine that you want. It will take many years of refinement for that im sure, but once they can do that the possibilities become a little crazy... artificial intelligence will become scary, they will be able to literally make artificial life. And have something with an neural network grow itself, anyways... lets wait 50 years and see what happens ;o

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
how ironic, i was just watching a tv show about nanotechnology!

cool stuff, it really is, i just don't like the idea of humans being able to control so many things. i don't know why i don't like it, i just don't

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I agree, i dont trust our motives as humans, in general. nanotech will have alot of military applications that are so insanely scary, and that is where it is going to be used first. I wont be surprised if i look at the news in 15 years one morning and see "everyone in whatevercountry is suffering from some kind of flesh eating disease that kills instantly, and nobody in any other country seems to be infected" And then a few days later "everyone in oneofourstates/provinces is dead from some flesh eating disease" etc. :p

but maybe im just pessimistic, maybe we will have the responsibility to not use nanotech for those kinds of applications. hah, yeah right.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
However wouldnt nanotech machines still be unable to cope with EMP since it fries electrics....If not then it looks like we would not have a defence against them...

However this technology will also be used for good, basically at the end of the day, with this technology it is up to us to either chose to use it wisely or to abuse it

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
apparently they discovered that microbes emit some sort of electricity and that nanomachines might use different rules of physics to deal with electricity than what we are used to.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
you know what, if we did something like the matrix movie, but self inflicted, because we dont feel like advancing anymore and just want to enjoy ourselves.

That could happen in 100 years maybe hah!!!!!!!

[edit on 16-7-2005 by Davood]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well nanotechnology is another one of the millions of ways in which humans adapt to the world they live on. I dont see it as "playing God", it is simply a further means of making the human race more invincible.

If people can't accept that it is a human instinct to explore and utilise this universe, then they need to wake up to how humans have survived so long already.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Nanotechnology is a very controversial subjest, imo we shouldnt even tamper with the idea, the diseases and after effects would prove disastrous. Also i believe it puts a (how should i put this) "low view point on life itself'' we may be able to create human life but we can never give it a spirit or soul....

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think nano tech can help people with diseases.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by healthyhitter
I think nano tech can help people with diseases.

It will and already has helped heal people. Ever hear of Band-Aids with silver embedded within it? Those are Nano particles of silver that bond with the cut and promotes healthy tissue growth versus scar tissue growth.

What most people think of when they think of Nanotechnology(at least those that I've talked too) think about the Chritonesque version of Nanobots gone amuk, too bad his vision appears to violate 2 of 3 thermodynamical laws

The Educated skeptics of this technology are focusing on the more fundamental problems of Nanotechnology like Toxicity of these new Nanoparticles and new classes of molecules like C60 and CNT's(I have even heard some people claim that those molecules can self-replicate
People seem to assume that if they self-assemble they can replicate as well ROFL)

The more radical environmentalist movement is doing a great job at making sure people are opposing this technology with ignorant assumptions. Instead of actaully taking the time to research the potential impacts both good and bad they read the rhetoric and mutate it into something else, its the way of the Neo-Luddites.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
i believe we are and have been playing god, and as technology advances we will only be playing him more and more untill he is completley played out. maybe just maybe he thinks we already know to much. just a thought!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Somebody needs to play a God cause the one that everyone seems to believe in hasn't been doing a very good job at it. Not that we need one at all.

Nano tech will just further we humans along if it doesn't get shunned by religions like everything else.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Maybe people are putting too much hope on the development of one technology. I like the idea of nano-tech, I considered doing it at a degree level, but instead choice engineering :S

However if we do put too much faith in this technology then maybe it will resulantly be the end of something we try to fix.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Personally I hope they give people the choice to receive treatment via nanobots in the future, The people who dont want the life extension will get sorted out after about 50 years or so ;o Let the neo luddites live in their own little worlds if they want to, no need to force them to change their minds.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join