Media upset over dead cameraman

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
As well they should be. There seem to be a lot of dead reporters lately.

International media rights bodies have called on the US to launch a full inquiry into the killing of Reuters cameraman Mazen Dana, who was shot dead by US troops in Iraq.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 01:18 AM
link   
there was a whole lot of attacks on non "embedded" media.
frickin' tragic.

i'm sorry i don't have a reference, but, i read about a british woman reporter who was blatantly warned(read "threatened") to go away by a US general.
shortly afterward, the bombing of a KNOWN MEDIA HOTEL by US tanks was an inexcusable act.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I hate to hear that someone's life was lost but we need to consider the following.

If someone is a caretaker for sharks, and shark bites and kills him, of course it's sad, but it does happen.
Reporters have a need to be at the front lines at all times, and see things close up. That's fine when you're reporting about a movie premiere, but when you're reporting from the front line of a war, tragically... things do happen. Yes, something needs to be done. I believe that what needs to be done is a greater sense of responsibility by the media outlets for the lives of their reporters. A good story is nice, but be careful, those are living people, not webcams.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Does anyone else find it funny that this info was released after the US said they had a problem specifically with Reuters?

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
I hate to hear that someone's life was lost but we need to consider the following.

If someone is a caretaker for sharks, and shark bites and kills him, of course it's sad, but it does happen.
Reporters have a need to be at the front lines at all times, and see things close up. That's fine when you're reporting about a movie premiere, but when you're reporting from the front line of a war, tragically... things do happen. Yes, something needs to be done. I believe that what needs to be done is a greater sense of responsibility by the media outlets for the lives of their reporters. A good story is nice, but be careful, those are living people, not webcams.

the reporters are vital to we the people, in order that we may make well informed DEMOCRATIC decisions. the US forces were claimed to be openly and deliberately firing on independent reporters. the reporters know the risk.
who's braver and more noble? the guy/girl who walks into a fight with a gun to fight for big business, or the guy/girl with a pen and paper to fight for the truth?

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 04:23 AM
link   
"The Pentagon has threatened to fire on the satellite uplink positions of independent journalists in Iraq, according to veteran BBC war correspondent"

www.gulufuture.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
the reporters are vital to we the people, in order that we may make well informed DEMOCRATIC decisions. the US forces were claimed to be openly and deliberately firing on independent reporters. the reporters know the risk.
who's braver and more noble? the guy/girl who walks into a fight with a gun to fight for big business, or the guy/girl with a pen and paper to fight for the truth?

Absolutely right. But we do have to acknowledge that is a terribly dangerous thing to be hanging around close up during wartime. The idea of embedding reporters with troops was a good one in my opinion because you had the reporters around in an organized fashion, and they were afforded the same protection as the military unit they were stationed with. This is certainly safer than having a bunch of people running around with paper and pen while bombs are falling.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The same people crying about this tragedy obviously hadn't read much on Vietnam and the many, many reporters that lost their lives there also........ and in countless other areas of conflict since....
Very sad.....but folks...everything in life is not a 'conspiracy'...
The Natural Laws that do effect this world and its daily functions play a role also....
War is hell.....
Innocents will be lost....
Very sad...

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I notice news is emerging that Mazen Dana may have filmed mass graves of coalition murder victims. Is this why he was shot?

Wouldn't be the first mass graves curtesy of the neoconartists - just add it to "the highway of death" Iiraq) and "the convoy of death" (Afganistan). and all the others we will never here about.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I would think that if the media had anything to be upset about , it would have been getting threatened by the US military at the beginning of the Iraq"THING",with having their uplinks targeted for transmitting news before the US could sensor it.
Diatraction,distractions........

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   
"45 bodies had been recovered since vthe palace beside the Tigris river, now used as the coalition headquarters."

"Nobody knows exactly how many Iraqis died in the war, but an Anglo-American research group, the Iraq Body Count, has estimated the number of civilian fatalities at between 6,000 and 7,800. The number of military casualties is between 10,000 and 45,000."

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have litle respect for major media reporters. Most simply report what they want to, ignore much else. i have long lost respect in the media for these people.

Some reproters actually do a good job. Some simply make a nuisance of themselves. Its hard to tell who is what.

But, reporters do die in war. thast what happens. the military has bigger and better things to be doing that trying to protect idiots who arent staying put where they belong.

I disrespect the American media for not showing the bodies of US troops and dead iraqis. Thats manipulative. people need to see the lifeless eyes and mangled remains of victims of Bush and Companys war on terror (or war for oil). Americans need to see these horrific, gruesome scenes to take this insane bloodlust and pro war mentality. they need to learn war isnt like an Oliver Stone flick, that those could be thier kids/ thier neighbors sprawled out dead.

They need to see war is ugly and kills people in horrible ways, so they can reconsider whether or not Iraqs "liberation" is worth the cost.

When i see reporters showing every side to the story, and every detail, then yes, Ill gain a little respect and sympathy for em.

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   
As SuperChicken would say....

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it Fred..."

Seriously, you can't have the media reporting uncensored news when you are in a warzone... War relies on secrecy of plans, surprise, strategy, etc. and the media aren't privy to that strategy, therefore they are ill-equipped to deem what is compromising, and what is not, in battle. One mentioned the reporters lost in Nam. We take far better care of them now, as you saw on tv (custom flak jackets, etc.), but there will be accidents, misidentifications, and tragedies. Let's not forget...those that are there, are there of their own free will...

top topics

join