It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Need some help from folks living in UK please.

page: 1

log in


posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 08:27 AM
Recently my husband and I have been discussing relocating to England. My husband however has questions concerning the trade union and hasn't had any luck finding information about it on the web.
So I am soliciting some help from those of you that may have first hand knowlegde.

Can anyone give me some information regarding the local unions in the UK? My husband specifically is in Sheet Metal Trade Union Local 10 doing heating and air.

Thanks in advance for any help.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 08:44 AM
Honestly? I'd concentrate more on obtaining residency visas etc before unions; it might be more of an issue.

But here we go

London union link

AMICUS site - great info here

Linky to Home Office Immigration info

(fwiw, I was born and raised in England)

Hope this helps

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 08:49 AM
Thanks so much Tinkleflower. This isn't something we are planning to do soon. He is just interested now in finding out what type of jobs there are in the trade he is currently in and what their contracts are like and such.
I myself am really flying blind with the whole thing as I would be the one responsible for getting the rest figured out I am sure.
But any info regarding residency and the like is appreciated too.

thanks again

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 09:07 AM
Found another!

A bit more to choose from, regarding Unions in England

As for work permits:

Great FAQ here

Generally, this is how it works:

You (well, your husband) will apply for a work permit from the UK - this can be done from the US, in several ways. As a general rule, he would need an offer of employment from a UK company...or, if he's lucky, his company has a branch in England and he can transfer (this is a little different, but easier in practice).

Once this is all done, he's then free to go to the UK - you (and any children) might need seperate visas to join your husband.

After he's completed the residency requirements, he's able to apply for residency - and he'd be applying on your behalf, too. If all goes well, you'd become residents after that

Info on changing status from "work permit" to "residency"

Obviously it's a somewhat tedious and drawn-out process; but don't let the paperwork drag you down!

If I can be of any other help, just let me know

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:07 AM
Thanks again for your help. He and I will look into all of the sites you provided. You have been a tremedous help.
This is actually exciting. It's funny because I hear so often how many people want to come to the US to live and yet I have always wanted to live in the UK. GO figure!
Guess you always want what isn't easily accessible.

new topics


log in