It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Return of the ATS Newsletter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If you're getting spam flags, let me know if there is any information about why.

We've done everything we can for an EXTREMELY CAN-SPAM act compliant email format and sending technology. Double opt-in, reverse-DNS, live reply-to, live bounce, unsubscribe link, and more should have made this a very clean email.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
As i mentioned above it'll be because there email system received a large volume of email from one address. Usually that’s a good sign of a spammer.

I suspect once everyone goes in a sets there spam filters correctly it'll filter down and the systems (be it yahoo, gmail or AOL) filter will realise that the mail isn't spam and let subsequent mail through.

Thats how our spam filtering is set up to work.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Burgess

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Umbrax
Gmail sent my news letter straight to the spam bod

Did you get any reasons why it was sent to a spam bin? I ran the email through several tests, and even confirmed the server's settings (reverse lookup and all that) before sending. It'd be helpful to know why Google flagged it.

Thanks.

I ran the email through AppRiver... an industrial strength 3rd party spam filtering service, and it added this to the email header:
X-Note: Spam-Tests-Failed: None
So I'm wondering what Gmail sees.

[edit on 13-7-2005 by SkepticOverlord]

Were you sending it to multiple gmail accounts? Our spam filter here sometimes treats something as spam if the same address is sending to multiple recipients

Don't you just hate when they do that?

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Burgess
As i mentioned above it'll be because there email system received a large volume of email from one address.

We timed the mail to be "friendly" and not trigger flood flags. It took just about 12 hours to send to the entire list which is just about one email per second. This is well outside the spam-flood specs I've seen from the major services.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm going to have to go grab that from my trash bin in outlook! My company has a distributor that goes by the name "ATS" (Advanced Technology Services), and I assumed it was a newsletter from them, and, well, I'm already up to date with all of their news since I work closely with them. They, too, had a newsletter that they abandoned when we put up an extranet. Dun forgot that I had made my work email address my ATS email address.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Question about subscribing. Was this initial newsletter sent to everyone, and subsequent newsletters will only be sent to those who send a "subscribe" email? I didn't see the question in this thread yet, and was a little confused as to if I was subscribed already or not.

EDIT: Nevermind, the settings page says I'm already subscribed.

[edit on 7-13-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Hey SO any chance of the ATS webmail service going up for grabs again? I've got 15k+ points and I want an account.

But until then I'll just have to stick with Yahoo! So whats the plan for the newsletter, coordinates for Groom Lake or have we advanced beyond that point?

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Will members be able to submit their views too?, subject to inclusion in the News Letter?

Dallas

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Will members be able to submit their views too?

Of course. ATS is a collaborative community, and our newsletter is no different. In the next few days, we'll be posting details on how members can create articles for the newsletter.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, how did ATS get my new email address, when I signed up for this site I gave an AOL address, yet the Newsletter email arrived at new addy and I don't recall giving out my new one. I don't mind getting the email, but I wonder how that came to the other addy?

EDIT:
Is it related to this???
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
Hey why was this of all threads moved to PTS anyway?

[edit on 13-7-2005 by twitchy]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
You must have changed your profile, and modified the email setting. We built the newsletter list from the ATS member profiles.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I don't recall editing my member settings, I might have though and just don't remember doing it. Is that something you can check into, or would that be a pain in the neck, like I said I might have but I just don't recall giving my new addy out to any sites. It's no biggie, it was just odd as I have made a tremendous effort to keep my email addy off the net as i receive something like 2000 emails a day in my yahoo box.

EDIT: Nope, I just looked, it is still showing my AOL address in my member profile. Now I'm pretty curious...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
i receive something like 2000 emails a day in my yahoo box.

EDIT: Nope, I just looked, it is still showing my AOL address in my member profile. Now I'm pretty curious...

Assumptions about your lifestyle aside, what is your strategy for reducing your number of daily emails from 2000 to some managable number where you do not spend your 20 God-given non-sleeping hours per day opening or deleting emails without reading them?

Assumptions about said strategy aside, your edginess about 'where' and how you received the subject email from ATS is enervating and the story (which probably has a very plausible explanation) is one that the espionage enthusiasts and BIZARRE INDIVIDUALS WHO CRACK THE PASSWORDS OF OTHERS' PRIMARY EMAIL ACCOUNTS will take an ongoing interest in.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
To the best of my knowlege, I have never given out my new email address to anyone but to my family and to Ebay, and I checked my member profile which still shows my old address. Now, if I have never given my new email address to ATS, how did the newsletter find it's way to that inbox? ATS installs an Alexia related DOS application, discussed in the link in my previous post, is Alexia capable of gleaning my email address? Better yet, if it does, how does ATS get that information?
I know it sounds paranoid, but I'm pretty dang sure I haven't made ATS privy to my new email addy. I'm a big fan of this web site, but I'm a violent opponent to spyware, so at the risk of sounding paranoid and to sum it up in one question, how did ATS come by my email address.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

how did ATS come by my email address.

Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

To the best of my knowlege, I have never given out my new email address to anyone but to my family and to Ebay,

We're strict about privacy concerns. Our privacy policy is pretty straight forward.

1) Only the email address field of the ATS member database was used to generate the newsletter email list database. We didn't even pull across member names, just e-mail addys.

2) Additional "presonal data" fields in the email newsletter management software like name, zip code, etc. have also been disabled... so there's no way you or us to add that info.

3) Alexa and other banner-style items displayed on the site cannot obtain your email address. Also, all banners are now displayed from a different server than the ATS site, and it's impossible for the banner networks to learn what ATS pages you're seeing (it would be possible if the banners were simply embedded in the page normally).

The only possible explanation is that you perhaps registered an alternate ATS account you're not using with the email address in question. I sent you a u2u, if you provide the address, I'll investigate.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I can vouch for the privacy SO's talking about. A policy sounds goo, but isn't necessarily followed. However, ATS does follow theirs. This is the only website I've interacted with using my work email account, because of the freemail restriction. This is it. I did that over a year and a half ago, and have never recieved a piece of junkmail in my account. Never, not once. As a result, I believe what SO says, ATS follows it's privacy policy.

Back to Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds now.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Have you set up automated forwarding for certain email addresses from your yahoo account?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Just wondering,..it seems I had the email info in my profile incorrect at the time of the first mailing. I have since corrected this, but found I cant log into the newsletter page to subscribe.

Am I missing something obvious?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
the password given to you for the newsletter is different than your normal password. You may just be using the wrong password.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join