It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea wants to buy Global Hawks from the U.S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

S. Korea to Purchase US Spy Aircraft

The Defense Ministry has officially requested the United States sell its high-altitude, long-range surveillance aircraft as part of its mid to long-term arms acquisition plan, ministry officials said Tuesday.

Under its five-year arms buildup plan to enhance a “selfreliant” defense capability, the ministry plans to purchase four high-altitude UAVs by 2008, while producing four other medium- altitude UAVs by 2016 with the country’s own technology.

The Global Hawk can fly autonomously at an altitude of 20 kilometers (65,000 feet) above inclement weather and prevailing winds for more than 35 hours, with its computer guidance system.

During a single mission, it covers an area approximately half the size of the United States, providing detailed image-based intelligence of 40,000 square miles. The 13.5-meter-long air vehicle can move at a maximum speed of 635 kilometers per hour. It costs some $45 million per unit.

Link to entire article

I'm glad South Korea is finally starting to take responsibility for it's own defense.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I don't know...I dont think the US will bounce for the sale of Global Hawks, but I could see them selling U-2's or another high altitude recon aircraft, but for some reason I just can't see the US to sell the Global Hawk to Korea...YET.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I'm glad South Korea is finally starting to take responsibility for it's own defense.

Scuse me?

en.wikipedia.org...
Active troops

* 686,000 (Ranked 6th)

Military expenditures - dollar figure:
$14.522 billion (FY03)

Military expenditures - percent of GDP:
2.7% (FY03)

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Yeah, what the hell are you talking about? SK is armed to the teeth dude.
Not very suprising considering who lives next door.

The US force there is a comparitively small tripwire force (~40k US vs ~700K SK troops), intended to discourage NK from attacking. THe bulk of South Korea's defenses are made up of South Koreans.

I wouldn't be particularly suprised if they get the Global Hawks, we've already sold them modernized F-15's and Aegis/Spy-1 (for the new KDX-3 DDGs.)

[edit on 7/12/05 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Japan too is requesting that they be allowed to buy Global Hawks as well. North Korea and heightened tensions with China are the given reasons.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So the North Koreans are more scared of 40K US troops that 700K S. Korean troops? They better become “scarier” because I don't thin the US will stay there forever and getting the Global Hawk is a step.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Why wouldn't we sell them to them? They're just unarmed reconnaissance aircraft.

Is there any super-secret technology in them?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Wow thats a major development, if they ever had a war with North Korea again, that plane would be a very valuable tool. Intresting article!

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
They could sell them the plane stripped down for the koreans to put their own stuff in
if indeed they are going to sell them the GH (which seems very likely)

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Scuse me?

en.wikipedia.org...
Active troops

* 686,000 (Ranked 6th)

Military expenditures - dollar figure:
$14.522 billion (FY03)

Military expenditures - percent of GDP:
2.7% (FY03)

SK still wants U.S troops there after 50 years... USFK would have control over SK forces. Thats why President Roh is on a 10 year buildup to military "independence".

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The Japanese and Chinese arent the best of friends lately either, I can remember those chinese protestors marching in support of china, because lets admit it, the japanese are being twats about apologising about World War 2. So I can imagine how korea feels, Imagine being caught in the middle of the two major Asian powers, I would want to keep and eye on them too. And then of cause, theres the matter of South Koreas friendly neighbour...

[edit on 13-7-2005 by jonesey_dude]

new topics

top topics

join