I have read most of the help subjects I can find and I can't find the answers to my questions. I feel so lame.
I need help and I don’t know
what to do! Please bear with me.
I love this forum! It’s the only place I’ve found that most members intelligently discuss the events and subjects, without the need to lambaste
other members for their beliefs or spelling or some other insignificant reason. I said most members. That’s cool. I can live with the few who either
feel the need to criticize people instead of ideas or simply don’t know how or want to discuss differently.
I do have some problems with the forum, though. At first, I logged off and went in search of another forum that was juuuust right. But if it exists, I
can’t find it. This is the closest I’ve seen to perfect for me. That’s probably why the membership is through the roof! So, I decided to come
back here and ask for help. (Ack! I hate asking for help!) So here I am… putting my lame self out there to say that I need help.
Here are the issues I have (and I fully realize that these are my issues – I’m not blaming or criticizing) with the forum in hopes that someone
can come and shine a light (or 4 or 5) that will help me be more comfortable moving around in here.
- When I return to the board, I don’t see an indication of new posts in a thread. I have to look at the timestamp of the last poster and try to
remember if I’ve read it or not. Even if I look in my subscribed threads, it doesn’t tell me if there are new posts in those threads.
- Therefore, there’s no “Mark as Read” function. (Or at least I haven’t’ seen one.) I'm very structured and I'm going crazy.
- People start 8 threads on the same subject in 3 different sections - It's so confusing! (Is this to earn points? Do they not feel like they’re
being heard if they post in an existing thread?) I don’t remember which one I posted in, so I have to search them all. Besides that, if the subject
is slightly different I may want to post in two or three, and then I’m even more confused. I know I can look in my subscribed threads, but I’d
much rather open the board and see an indication of the sections and threads that have new posts. If there’s a new post, I can look in there. If
not, I know I already saw it.
- The "View new posts" feature appears to dump ALL new posts from the whole board onto the page all mixed up and I still have to search through them
to see if they’re of interest to me. Is there any way of ordering these or disregarding the ones from forums I never look at?
For those who move effortlessly around ATS:
Here are my questions:
- When you
log on or open the board, where do you
go? What is your process for finding out what has happened on the board since your
- Do you go to your ATS page? If so, how do you know which threads have new posts?
I'm used to opening a board and seeing an indication that a thread has new posts since I last looked at it. But I can't find that here. I'm willing
to adjust to a new environment and process, and even figure out how to make it happen, but I need a starting point and some ideas ...
Somebody please help me...