It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help! Navigating ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I have read most of the help subjects I can find and I can't find the answers to my questions. I feel so lame.
I need help and I don’t know what to do! Please bear with me.

I love this forum! It’s the only place I’ve found that most members intelligently discuss the events and subjects, without the need to lambaste other members for their beliefs or spelling or some other insignificant reason. I said most members. That’s cool. I can live with the few who either feel the need to criticize people instead of ideas or simply don’t know how or want to discuss differently.

I do have some problems with the forum, though. At first, I logged off and went in search of another forum that was juuuust right. But if it exists, I can’t find it. This is the closest I’ve seen to perfect for me. That’s probably why the membership is through the roof! So, I decided to come back here and ask for help. (Ack! I hate asking for help!) So here I am… putting my lame self out there to say that I need help.

Here are the issues I have (and I fully realize that these are my issues – I’m not blaming or criticizing) with the forum in hopes that someone can come and shine a light (or 4 or 5) that will help me be more comfortable moving around in here.

- When I return to the board, I don’t see an indication of new posts in a thread. I have to look at the timestamp of the last poster and try to remember if I’ve read it or not. Even if I look in my subscribed threads, it doesn’t tell me if there are new posts in those threads.

- Therefore, there’s no “Mark as Read” function. (Or at least I haven’t’ seen one.) I'm very structured and I'm going crazy.

- People start 8 threads on the same subject in 3 different sections - It's so confusing! (Is this to earn points? Do they not feel like they’re being heard if they post in an existing thread?) I don’t remember which one I posted in, so I have to search them all. Besides that, if the subject is slightly different I may want to post in two or three, and then I’m even more confused. I know I can look in my subscribed threads, but I’d much rather open the board and see an indication of the sections and threads that have new posts. If there’s a new post, I can look in there. If not, I know I already saw it.

- The "View new posts" feature appears to dump ALL new posts from the whole board onto the page all mixed up and I still have to search through them to see if they’re of interest to me. Is there any way of ordering these or disregarding the ones from forums I never look at?

For those who move effortlessly around ATS:

Here are my questions:

- When you log on or open the board, where do you go? What is your process for finding out what has happened on the board since your last visit?

- Do you go to your ATS page? If so, how do you know which threads have new posts?

I'm used to opening a board and seeing an indication that a thread has new posts since I last looked at it. But I can't find that here. I'm willing to adjust to a new environment and process, and even figure out how to make it happen, but I need a starting point and some ideas ...

Somebody please help me...

Gratefully yours,
Benevolent Heretic

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Check out the MYATS button at the top.
Any threads that you have posted to will be updated latest from the top on any new postings to the threads that you have an interest.
You can add a thread to this by clicking on subscribe button and the thread will be added to your MYATS.
Hope this is what you are looking for

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
- When you log on or open the board, where do you go? What is your process for finding out what has happened on the board since your last visit?

My rather simple and idealic approach to seeing if there are new posts in forums I monitor is to look at the Last Post field and see whether the date and time is ahead of the time I last visited ATS.

Of course MyATS (click MyNew at the top of the page) is a dynamic means of doing this for you. You have the option of choosing which forums are monitored and you will be presented with a list of the day's new posts.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well I log onto the todays forum and view what is on the screen from there if I want to see what has been posted to threads I am involved in I go to My ATS the threads listed on the right, they move up in order of posts

[edit on 12/7/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretic
dont stress alone, Please feel that you can u2u me each question as you come across them, I am more than happy to help guide you though ATS.

When I return to the board, I don’t see an indication of new posts in a thread. I have to look at the timestamp of the last poster and try to remember if I’ve read it or not. Even if I look in my subscribed threads, it doesn’t tell me if there are new posts in those threads.

look at the tab at the top of the page that says, *New posts* thats a full listing on what has been posted. there are also sub sections for *today on BTS* and *today on PTS* within there also.

Therefore, there’s no “Mark as Read” function. (Or at least I haven’t’ seen one.) I'm very structured and I'm going crazy.

For threads you have posted on look in your profile and at the bottom theres a tab saying *find posts*. other than that use *my ATS* at the top of the page,

- People start 8 threads on the same subject in 3 different sections - It's so confusing!

Yes with a board this size its hard to get them all but we do try,

Also use the search See tab at the top of page, theres also a google searh there if you are unsure how to use the ATS search,
The google one looks though the ATS posts, So if you think of a topic write it in the box and see what comes up

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Thank you sincerely for answering and so quickly! I have been doing what you're all suggesting and I still feel out of control... It's just me, I guess. It's overwhelming and I so want to be able to see at a glance (without reading the timestamp and thinking so much!) if there's a new post...

Argh! I guess I have some adjustments to make.

This is a fantastic board! Cudos to those who run it!

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
ATS is a very daunting board, but once you get to grips with all the cool features, every other board on the web will seem like it belongs back in the '90s!

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i click the new posts or myats...but i do spend a lot of time on here so i can generally see the posts go down the last 75 list

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Navigating around MyATS

Click the MyATS button at the top to take you to "MyATS".

The MyATS screen looks like this:

At any time from any screen, you can click the MyATS button (A) to return to this screen

The area on the left (B) is your favorite forums. If you click the "(edit forums)" button, you will be taken to this screen:

Simply turn the forums you want displayed in MyATS on, and turn the ones you don't want to see off. Hit the "Submit" button at the bottom and you will be taken back to MyATS and the forums displayed should have changed.

You can move each forum's "frame" around in MyATS by using the red or green arrows on the top of each box (C). Pressing a single red arrow will move that forum down one slot. Pressing the triple red arrow will move it to the very bottom. The green arrows on the top left of a box will have the opposite effect, moving the forum up one slot, or to the very top as is the case.

Your subscribed threads are displayed on the right side of the MyATS screen (D). When you reply to a thread, you will automatically be subscribed to it. You can also subscribe to any thread at any time by pressing the
button which is at the top left of the thread as you view it. As each subscribed thread is replied to, it will be bumped up to the top of the list. If you have replied to the thread you will see your username next to it. If you later see somebody elses name next to it, it means someone has replied after you. To visit the thread, simply click on its title. To visit the last post in a thread, click the double red arrow after the title. You can also manage your subscribed threads in a similiar way to your favorite forums by clicking the "(manage)" button.

Have a play around with it, and after a bit of trial and error, you'll be flitting round the forums like a seasoned veteran.

Hope this helps and welcome to ATS.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm gettin' it! I'm gettin' it! Yay!! Thank you all so much!

new topics

top topics

join