It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Terror Arrests Follow After Bus Bomber is Identified.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Arrests in Yorkshire have followed after the identity of the Bus bomber was discovered by police. I guess even suicide bombers have families who will miss them and enquire after them and in this way police have been able to move very quickly towards indentifying the members of the terrorist cell.

Arrests have been made in Yorkshire after the identity of the suspected London bus bomber led police to make a series of raids.

Security sources said the bus bomb suspect died in the blast but it is unclear if it was a suicide bombing.

They believe the four bombers were British born and all died in the Thursday's bombings.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Quick work though finding out your son was a terrorist who's died may even be worse than finding out your son was an innocent victim of terrorism.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 12-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 13-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
OK, now I am confused
Since they have only been able to identify Susan Levy (the mother of 2) where did the police get their information as to whom they should investigate?

I mean, if they have only been able to identify the remains on only one person. How were they able to identify, which of the 52 people who died in the attacks should be investigated, have warrants issued?
There has to be much more to this, such as the son was already under investigation etc. I can think of no judge that would issue warrants just because this one person out of 52 (or the 700 that were injured) should be targeted just because the son was reported missing.

I am now starting to smell a very large and dead rat here or am I just missing something?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
They are believed to be British born aswell and its been confirmed aswell. Apparently the material they found in the homes worried them about public safety (more attacks?)

[edit on 12-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I can only guess but I suspect I'm right.

1/ 4 British Muslims head for London and carry out the bombing.

2/ Atleast one died maybe all of them.

3/ The families and friends of these bombers get worried when they haven't heard from them since the bombing.

4/ They contact the police as they are concerned.

5/ Police realise that 4 British muslims from Leeds are reported by their families to be missing.

6/ Police check CCTV at Leeds train station on Thursday.

7/ The can then check that they arrived at Kings Cross.

8/ They can then put 2 and 2 together.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
They are believed to be British born aswell and its been confirmed aswell. Apparently the material they found in the homes worried them about public safety (more attacks?)

ummm, why would suicide bombers leave materials for future bombs in their homes?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
ummm, why would suicide bombers leave materials for future bombs in their homes?

6 homes in total have been searched, material has been found at some of these locations, police won't say which.

You have to remember that police believe the cell was located in that area, thats why material probably still remains.

Even the local Mosgue was believed to been watched this weekend, so someone has tipped off the police

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Sooooo........
May be a case of profiling (oops, did not mean to swear).
Here is what is now being reported.
4 men were "acting suspiciously" at the leeds station. (define suspicious)
Families contact the police
Police during their taking of re missing reports "discover" that there are 3 British Muslims.

2+2 = theses 4 men are their suspects and are the suicide bombers.

Does this not sound like a huge leap of "logic"?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Confirmed: Family of a bomber called around 10pm 7/7 worried that they hadn't seen him.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by justyc

6 homes in total have been searched, material has been found at some of these locations, police won't say which.

You have to remember that police believe the cell was located in that area, thats why material probably still remains.

Even the local Mosgue was believed to been watched this weekend, so someone has tipped off the police

Either the family or someone from the Mosque probably over heard them speaking, has heard their views on terrorism, noticed they were all still missing or heard them rejoicing over the acts in London is the most likely reasoning for such a thing - in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

I mean, if they have only been able to identify the remains on only one person. How were they able to identify, which of the 52 people who died in the attacks should be investigated, have warrants issued?
There has to be much more to this, such as the son was already under investigation etc. I can think of no judge that would issue warrants just because this one person out of 52 (or the 700 that were injured) should be targeted just because the son was reported missing.

I am now starting to smell a very large and dead rat here or am I just missing something?

According to the bbc website - more remains have been identified but the families have asked for their identities to be withheld for the time being...

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The given link for the news source does not contain the quoted material...

Wrong link? Changed by the BBC?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i know, just being observant & wondering aloud ....

like wondering how documents identifying one of the bombers were found at both edgeware road & aldgate east when the suspects were seen arriving in kings cross at 8.30 - why would one bomber take some documents of another because there is no way someone could make it from kings x to edgeware rd & then aldgate in 20 mins during mon morn rush hour!!

also, why would someone in yorkshire report a missing person in london unless they knew they were going there?

police are also saying they think the fourth bomber is still buried under kings cross

*edit to add... it would be worth checking if they bought return tickets

[edit on 12-7-2005 by justyc]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Explosive Expert on the BBC is saying the area around the house in Leeds was evacuated because he believed they made the explosive themselves and evidence has probably been found to state they made them, themselves

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
justyc
you have just echoed my thoughts / suspicions on this.
There seems to be a bit too much convienent information pointing to one suspect that leads to 3 more (all dead so no way to confrim anything) and oh by the by, all 4 were british muslims.
Acting suspiciously, by what definition? were they attempting to elude camera / cops etc? If so, such activity would have / should have been identifiable long before now.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
wow, imagine that....they can't stop it from happening but they, for some reason, can id the bomber soon AFTER the blasts............sounds familiar...........

if only the govts had access to all personal info this would have never happened....invite them into your life, now we can rejoyce, we are all safe now......................

did somebody say they smell a rat?...i smell it too......................................

[edit on 12-7-2005 by clearmind]

TPL

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I never thought the 'War on Terror' would come so close to my home. I live about 1 hour from Leeds in South Yorkshire.

The police said they found identification and property of the bombers in the wreckage. Why would they carry things that gave their identity away so easily, i know they would have been discovered eventually but it just seems so stupid of them to carry I.D.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Why is that puzzling? They're making bombs, when they're done they have the stuff that was used to make them and whatnot. Why shouldn't there be 'left overs'?

The fact that they are british born children of immigrants is interesting. Shortly before the bombings, an issue of Foreign Affairs published an article that was examining the inability of modern europe to properly assimilate the large number of muslim immigrants within it.

Here's an interesting selection:

As a consequence of demography, history, ideology, and policy, western Europe now plays host to often disconsolate Muslim offspring, who are its citizens in name but not culturally or socially. In a fit of absentmindedness, during which its academics discoursed on the obsolescence of the nation-state, western Europe acquired not a colonial empire but something of an internal colony, whose numbers are roughly equivalent to the population of Syria[...] A volatile mix of European nativism and immigrant dissidence challenges what the Danish sociologist Ole Waever calls "societal security," or national cohesion. To make matters worse, the very isolation of these diaspora communities obscures their inner workings, allowing mujahideen to fundraise, prepare, and recruit for jihad with a freedom available in few Muslim countries[...]should not be compared with marginal European terrorist groups of the past, such as the Baader-Meinhof Gang in Germany, Action Directe in France, or the Red Brigades in Italy. Like other jihadist groups today, it enjoys what Marxist terrorists long sought but always lacked: a social base. And its base is growing rapidly, thanks in part to the war in Iraq.[,..]
are a group of alienated citizens, second- or third-generation children of immigrants, like Bouyeri, who were born and bred under European liberalism. [...]They are the latest, most dangerous incarnation of that staple of immigration literature, the revolt of the second generation. They are also dramatic instances of what could be called adversarial assimilation -- integration into the host country's adversarial culture.[...]
To prevent proselytizing among its mostly North African Muslim community, during the 1990s the energetic French state denied asylum to radical Islamists even while they were being welcomed by its neighbors. Fearing, as Kepel puts it, that contagion would turn "the social malaise felt by Muslims in the suburbs of major cities" into extremism and terrorism, the French government cracked down on jihadists, detaining suspects for as long as four days without charging them or allowing them access to a lawyer. Today no place of worship is off limits to the police in secular France. Hate speech is rewarded with a visit from the police, blacklisting, and the prospect of deportation. These practices are consistent with the strict Gallic assimilationist model that bars religion from the public sphere (hence the headscarf dispute).
[empahsis added]

On problems:

counterterrorism agencies remain reluctant to share sensitive information or cooperate on prosecutions. Measures proposed in the wake of the Madrid attacks, such as a Europe-wide fingerprint and DNA database and biometric passports, remain only that -- proposals.Fragmentation and rivalry among Europe's security systems and other institutions continue to hamper counterterrorism efforts. For nearly a decade, France has sought the extradition of the organizer of several bombings in the Paris metro in the 1990s, but his case languishes in the British courts to the anguish of the Home Office as well as Paris[...]
With a few exceptions, European authorities shrink from the relatively stout legislative and security measures adopted in the United States. They prefer criminal surveillance and traditional prosecutions to launching a U.S.-style "war on terrorism" and mobilizing the military, establishing detention centers, enhancing border security, requiring machine-readable passports, expelling hate preachers, and lengthening notoriously light sentences for convicted terrorists. Germany's failure to convict conspirators in the September 11 attacks suggests that the European public, outside of France and now perhaps the Netherlands, is not ready for a war on terrorism.
[emphasis added]

On the progression:

Revulsion against Nazism and colonialism translated into compassion toward religious minorities, of whatever stripe. At first, Muslim guest workers were welcomed in Europe by a liberal orthodoxy that generally regarded them as victims lacking rights. In some countries, such as the Netherlands and the United Kingdom, that perspective spawned a comprehensive form of multiculturalism. London's version verged on separatism. While stepping up surveillance, the British authorities allowed Islamists refuge and an opportunity to preach openly and disseminate rabid propaganda. Multiculturalism had a dual appeal: it allowed these states to seem tolerant by showering minorities with rights while segregating them from, rather than absorbing them into, the rest of society. Multiculturalism dovetailed with a diminished Western ethos that suited libertarians as well as liberals.
[emphasis added]

And an interesting note on the sociology of it:

The Dutch reaction to van Gogh's assassination, the British reaction to jihadist abuse of political asylum, and the French reaction to the wearing of the headscarf suggest that Europe's multiculturalism has begun to collide with its liberalism, privacy rights with national security. Multiculturalism was once a hallmark of Europe's cultural liberalism
[emphasis added]

And a note on why zarqawi is seen as a BTO:

Several hundred European militants -- including dozens of second-generation Dutch immigrants "wrestling with their identity," according to the Dutch intelligence service -- have also struck out for Iraq's Sunni Triangle. In turn, western Europe serves as a way station for mujahideen wounded in Iraq. The Iraq network belongs to an extensive structure developed by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, now formally bin Laden's sworn ally and the "emir" of al Qaeda in Iraq. Recently unsealed Spanish court documents suggest that at a meeting in Istanbul in February 2002, Zarqawi, anticipating a protracted war in Iraq, began to lay plans for a two-way underground railway to send European recruits to Iraq and Middle Eastern recruiters, as well as illegal aliens, to Europe. Zarqawi also activated sleeper cells established in European cities during the Bosnian conflict.
A chief terrorism investigator in Milan, Armando Spataro, says that "almost all European countries have been touched by [Iraq] recruiting," including, improbably, Norway, Switzerland, Poland, Bulgaria, and the Czech Republic. The recruitment methods of the Iraq network, which procures weapons in Germany from Balkan gangs, parallels those for the conflicts in Chechnya and Kashmir. Thanks to its state-of-the-art document-forging industry, Italy has become a base for dispatching volunteers. And Spain forms a trunk line with North Africa as well as a staging area for attacks in "al Andalus," the erstwhile Muslim Spanish caliphate.
[emphasis added]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TPL
I never thought the 'War on Terror' would come so close to my home. I live about 1 hour from Leeds in South Yorkshire.

The police said they found identification and property of the bombers in the wreckage. Why would they carry things that gave their identity away so easily, i know they would have been discovered eventually but it just seems so stupid of them to carry I.D.

Probably an emergency back card, credit card, that's all it would take to locate them or even a mobile phone - something they could have needed so they were able to do the bombing run.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Now, we have to stop the cell from carrying out any more attacks on our soil. The chances are the cell will leave the country for a while and return at a later date.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
wow, imagine that....they can't stop it from happening but they, for some reason, can id the bomber soon AFTER the blasts............sounds familiar...........
[edit on 12-7-2005 by clearmind]

of course - the bombers were kind enough to leave identification at the scene - one even took anothers just so we would all know who was at the other end of the tube line.

they may have cctv of them arriving in kings cross but i dont think enough time has passed to check out if they were also filmed leaving any station or tube or changing anywhere etc - it will also be easy to find out now where the bus bomber got from kings cross onto a 30 bus. but if they were confident enough to carry bombs all the way from yorkshire on the train without being noticed, then why do witnesses say the man on the bus was agitated and fiddling with his bag?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join