Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Britons Willing To Sign Away Their Civil Rights For Security (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
An overwhelming percentage of Britons would support tough new measures to reduce the threat of attacks after the London bomb blasts, according to a poll by The Times newspaper. 86 percent of those polled supported giving the police new powers to arrest people they suspect of planning attacks. 88 percent said they were in favour of tighter controls on who comes into the country.

uk.news.yahoo.com
Some 86 percent of those questioned said they supported giving the police new powers to arrest people they suspect of planning attacks and 88 percent said they were in favour of tighter controls on who comes into the country.

Only 21 percent said they would change any plans or normal routines for travel into central London after bombs killed at least 52 people on three underground trains and a double-decker bus in the city last Thursday. Police suspect the bombs were planted by Islamist militants.

Prime Minister Tony Blair said on Monday he may speed up the implementation of new anti-terror laws in the wake of the London bombings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tony blair said he "may speed up the implementation of new anti-terror laws"? Well there's a surprise. He was facing opposition from both opposition parties AND his own party over ID cards and other terrorist measures, now they have all vanished.

Such is the power of terrorist attacks.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Now where have i heard something like this before

Terror attacks - loss of civil liberties - raising the fear factor eerm

O Yes the US have just had some of that ......

So how long before some poor country gets the US/UK knocking on there back door... IRAN/Syria/N Korea here we come ..... Stick the kettle on

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Iran but with the full 150,000 British soldiers this time as "WE'VE BEEN ATTACKED!@!" as their war cry.

With the Americans stretched in Afghanistan and Iraq, the remainder of our troops would be welcomed in taking over Iran.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Well, that would explain why some UK members on this site are not commenting or protesting this surveillance proposal.

What it does not do is explain their hypocritical stance, in regards to their condemning views and commentaries of the US Patriot Acts, etc.

The topic goes hand-in-hand with the one linked above.

seekerof

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Seekerof,

The funny thing is that even with the Patriot Act, U.S. law is far more civil-rights oriented than pretty much every European country.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Old news, ive heard rumours about this before the attacks and we are use to it to be honest. MI5 spies on us and has files on every cizitens.

If the government wanted to get rid of our rights, they could have introduce new powers under The Civil Contingencies Act, which they are allowed to under a terrorist act, but they didnt.

...So the cries of "police state" can stop now

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Well, I can certainly respect that, infinite.
If you like your email being looked at, your telephone conversations and textmessages known and recorded, like being on camara virtually everywhere you go, and enjoy having your license plates tagged, etc., then more power to the people, errrr, the government.

The next question is what is next for your Brits when further anti-privacy laws are enacted or implemented? Sooner or later, some in the UK will began to call out "police state." Will their accusations likewise be dismissed as easily as you have done so now? But again, if your used to such, then so be it. I will respect that, though I do not agree with such a matter. Then again, I do not live in the UK, either, so I do not have to worry myself with such anti-privacy restrictions. And to think the Patriot Acts were to be the end all of individual privacy rights....

seekerof

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
infinite

I have to point out a bias to you...and I can't believe I'm having to say this. But you got all anti-NWO once the rhetoric was against your government instead of the U.S. government...what's up with that?

pot - kettle - black, etc.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Well, I can certainly respect that, infinite.
If you like your email being looked at, your telephone conversations and textmessages known and recorded, like being on camara virtually everywhere you go, and enjoy having your license plates tagged, etc., then more power to the people, errrr, the government.

Members of the government and parliament, get it alot worse. MI5 have a nice collection on politicans, especially republicans who would like to overthrow the Queen.

More power to the government, i think you mean the Queen and her privy council

top topics

join