It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM Teams w/CenterPoint Energy for Broadband Over Powerlines (BPL)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
IBM is teaming up with CenterPoint Energy to test technology that could turn power lines into a high-speed network capable of delivering Internet access to consumers and providing real-time monitoring of the power grid

In the pilot program, CenterPoint is seeing download speeds up to two to three times faster than cable Internet service, a company spokeswoman said.

Because BPL essentially turns the electrical grid into an Internet-based network, every device attached to the grid will be able to communicate with other devices on it. This means that BPL technology has the potential to develop a "smart grid," which could allow for such services as automated meter reading, real-time system monitoring, preventive maintenance and diagnostics, outage detection and restoration, as well as other potential applications.

Today utilities are generally unable to see beyond our substations," said a CenterPoint spokeswoman. "But with BPL we could see the health and status of our network down to the outlet in the home. These smart grid technologies should result in improved system reliability and service for our electric customers."

news.com.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

This Broadband Over Powerline (BPL) technology sounds interesting. Critics fear converting existing electric utilities into consumer broadband providers will cost billion$ - due to upgrading existing electrical grids, but Google & others seem to see much potential in the technology.

I'm not sure if I want increased speed for decreased online privacy, knowing I'm constantly being monitored by some "smart grid", but I'm sure BPL holds many other benefits for the future. Perhaps BPL is being integrated into the proposed Unified North American Community so for the time being I am haunted by latenight flashbacks:
“There is nothing wrong with your internet;
do not attempt to adjust the picture.
We are controlling transmission.
We will control the horizontal.
We will control the vertical.
We can change the focus to a soft blur.
Or sharpen it to crystal clarity.
For the next century sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear.
You are about to participate in a great adventure.
You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind
to the Smart Grid…”

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This sounds fantastic. We need to overhaul the grid, and if we do so while building in a cable function for it, all the better. That means better access for more people, anyone who has electricity in fact.

Better intercommunication is just better. We can deal with lack of security, but to have widespread access and interconnection, well, that's exactly the sort of boost we're looking forward to in this new age.

In the pilot program, CenterPoint is seeing download speeds up to two to three times faster than cable Internet service, a company spokeswoman said.

I suspect that won't continue once put onto the big stage, but nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is exactly whats needed for true Internet TV to really take off. One question though, do you need a special outlet or can you use a regular outlet that's one thing I havn't been clear about..

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
We've had this over here in the UK for a couple years now, quite smart, as far as I am aware, you only need a special cable router to interperate the signals...

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I live out in the middle of no where. I first connected to the 'net in 1995 @26.4kps. I hooked up last night @ 26.4kps. There is no other option but satellite and I'm not crazy about paying for that. This might be the saving grace for me. I think I read about them trying this out in the UK several years ago. Of course, I'll probably be an old man before it gets to South Georgia.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimragan
I live out in the middle of no where. I first connected to the 'net in 1995 @26.4kps. I hooked up last night @ 26.4kps. There is no other option but satellite and I'm not crazy about paying for that. This might be the saving grace for me. I think I read about them trying this out in the UK several years ago. Of course, I'll probably be an old man before it gets to South Georgia.

Im in the exact same boat as you.

High speed for the masses !

I was told I MAY be able to get high speed as early as....... 2007.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Sadly, from a Radio Amateur's point of view, this will destroy conventional radio communications, at least in the lower frequency bands.

www.arrl.org...

www.eham.net...

Also a lot of military and civil radio communications are still conducted at lower frequencies.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by AgentSmith]

new topics

top topics

join