It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grid about to fail again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Same situation just now - moments ago (just after 4pm) here, south of Cleveland, we just experienced a brief power outage. (hopefully we won't take out the whole east coast this time?)

The Midwest power system recorded numerous voltage swings as early as midday Thursday, long before high-voltage lines failed south of Cleveland, officials said

story.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Not again. How is this happening? Is the gov't letting this go on for some odd reason and they actually do know how its happening? Or is some super hacker destroying the grid system??

Nightwalker

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Keep us informed Bob... that is if you have electricity to power your computer.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   
we had our rolling blackouts here already. What we just had wasn't that. Power went out, then right back, then totally off, for about a minute, then back on.

Though I doubt any of this is due to hacking there is a new worm going around sort of like the 'blaster' worm (and tons of ICMP traffic on the 'net today). Again - unrelated, I hope.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
will do K_OS. I fished the generator out of the garage - so, if it goes out again I'll be prepared this time!

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You may need to get you a dc to ac inverter... My small one can run a 52 inch T.V. dvd player, vcr and florecent lights. It is a nice investment. P.S. I hooked it up to my saturn, never blew a fuse and I was only running 15 amp fuses.. not to mention that my car uses less than a gallon of gas while idling for 12 hours... compared to the 18 gallions a generator would require.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
will do K_OS. I fished the generator out of the garage - so, if it goes out again I'll be prepared this time!

Hehe, I was typing my reply so I didn't see yours until I had finished mine... I guess you can say great minds think a like.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
You may need to get you a dc to ac inverter... My small one can run a 52 inch T.V. dvd player, vcr and florecent lights. It is a nice investment. P.S. I hooked it up to my saturn, never blew a fuse and I was only running 15 amp fuses.. not to mention that my car uses less than a gallon of gas while idling for 12 hours... compared to the 18 gallions a generator would require.

Just be very carefull not to run it for twelve hours in a closed garage. unless you're a mafia stoolpidgen.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip, K_OS. (heading down to Radio Shack now, lol)

And, my wife has a Saturn. my thought is
(you never blew a fuse?)

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Perhaps the French have one thing right: nuclear power. They never have power problems. Of course, I live in Illinois, which has more nuclear plants than any other state. They are old and basically "hazardous sites" now. IL imports electricity from all over, despite our reactors.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Fury

Hehe... I can see it now, Hey honey can you go check on the car... cough, cough, cough, is everything alright...ooops...

Bob
Nope not a single fuse... It completely amazed me... 750 watt inverter, cost about $50 at Wal-Mart... I purchased it the week before the big ice storm that knocked the electricity out here in KY for a week, last winter... Talk about good timing... maybe I am a little psychic after all...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:01 PM
link   
well speaking of nuclear power: if the power company, First Energy, is to blame for this blackout it should come as no surprise. Search for news on the Davis-Besse Nuclear plant.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Bob, that is an Ohio based company? I have not read any papers today.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
First Energy is in Ohio (don't know if they are based here, per se). Davis-Besse has a cracked reactor, or something along those lines and no doubt scandalous.
Some background info:
www.cleveland.com...

(located about 100 miles to the west of me - I am sandwiched between that reactor and one in Perry Ohio)

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Perhaps the silly blackouts will make people realize that nuclear power plants should not be closed down.
In New York the current environmentalist platform is to close down the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant. So now that there's been a blackout of mass proportions people finally admit we need power. But they all play "Not in my backyard" Freddie is right, the nuclear plants are the way to go, not antiquated crap. If you don't want it in your backyard, your backyard will be dark

join