It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women priests ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Why is there such opposition to this ? In general i feel women have been stripped of there powers in religions. What are your thoughs on this issue ?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
My religion (Christianity) is very clear on that. It's in the book.

This is also in the wrong forum. Let's pay attention to the forums.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I am not sure where in the "book"...bible..that is but I am sure someone will find a quote and post it here. I am also Christian and the only limitation for females to preach is for Catholics, not all Christians. Other Christian denominations allow for women.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The Bible makes the rolls of man and woman fairly clear . Those are some of the hardest sermons for me to hear, because I was raised a feminist and remain a feminist, but the scripture is clear. At least, it's clear when I've heard it preached. Because of my feminism, this is an aspect of Christianity I've never really wanted to delve too deep into, but as I'm typing this I'm realizing it should be exactly why I delve deeply into.

I can't give you scriptures, because, as I said, I'd never really focused on that. It's starting to look like in a few weeks, I will be able to. Dang, I hate it when this happens

More to come, if this thread is still active by the time I've completed or at least gotten some solid info on this topic.

EDIT: Bible was said a few too many times in one sentance, had to fix that

[edit on 7-11-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law" (1 Corinthians 14:34).

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence" (1 Timothy 2:11-12).

Now, having said that, there are several accounts of women being "preachers", or priestesses, in the Bible. I do believe that God will use who He can, and if there is no man to do the job, He will use a woman. The shame is not on the woman, not at all, but on the man for shrinking from the calling.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
in other words

Where's my dinner yo?

/dodge

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
uh, Lys, this ain't church, many of the women here are gun-owners, and I'm too tired to get shot tonight!
Don't start anything with them that'll get us killed slap to death!

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Depends on which denomination of christinaty you follow

the ones that prevent WOmen from having authority over men will point out. 1 Timothy 2:1-3:13, 1 Corinthians 14:29-38, and 1 Corinthians 11:1-16. They do not mean women shold be gagged, but they should not have any authority over a man.

But in 1 cor 12 it talks about the church body, that even tho women won't have a position of authority, they still have a needed an important role to play, especially with educating children, and orginizing events (which i know they do much better then the men on average)

God does not tell us why he made men and women as he did, or why man is to be the head in the family and church. He has simply revealed his will to us and we are to obey it. There is no doubt about his love for us, and we are to obey him even when we do not understand all the whys and wherefores. We should not try to justify God by rational arguments, if he has not provided us with explanations for his actions and commands.

To avoid the situation of not allowing women to ask questions or have some input, or the situation of having a woman step out of her role when decisions are being made--some congregations have adopted the custom of having an informal meeting in which any member of the congregation can ask questions or give some personal input followed by a voter's meeting in which the authoritative decisions are made.

It is good that we seek to do things in an orderly way (1 Co 14:40). Some congregations have chosen this procedure since it serves well to carry out the Lord's work in the congregation in an orderly way, and at the same time to get input from everyone within the roles for man and woman that God has established.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I also have never seen a woman priest. I would find it very unusual for a woman priest mainly because of the time the books they follow were written. At such a time women were considered objects.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
To think that women were only concidered objects or property at the time is a rather uneducated opinion. In fact there are numerous cases in the bible and historically where the wifes are the ones holding the household together.

It is just compared to todays standerd, not many women would be willing to do nothing but raise kids cook meals, and clean the house. But in those days, there was nothing more rewarding but allowing and providing peace and relaxation for the husband when he came back from a hard days work.

How many of use enjoy coming home to a home cooked meal? sometimes in a hard days of work that is all you look forward to. I have learned this myself with helping out my parents, and how much they appreciate having me cook for them.

It is like saying Hooter girls are being demeaned when people forget those girls ENJOY working in skimpy outfits and flirting all day

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you ever have questions about the Catholic faith, a very good
source of information is Catholic Answers. They provide the
AUTHENTIC Catholic teaching and reasons behind those teachings.

Women and the priesthood. It can NEVER happen in the Catholic
church. No pope will ever be able to change it. It is an unchangeable
law. Married priests? That can change. It's not a law, it's a discipline.
Laws can't change. Disciplines can.

Did Jesus Give Priests to the Church?
URL: www.catholic.com...
A dialogue on the Biblical origins of the Priesthood

Women and the Priesthood
Can women be ordained to the priesthood? This is a question that
provokes much debate in our modern world, but it is one to which the
Church has always answered

CATHOLIC WOMEN A CASE OF OPPRESSION?
Surprise! Catholic women are not oppressed by the Church and are
getting increasingly tired of being told that they are.

WHY NO WOMEN'S ORDINATION
Defending the Church's stand on women ordination.

WOMEN PRIESTS: NO CHANCE
The persistent dispute about woman's ordination will have one
inescapable result: the perfection of the Church's teaching that
women can't be ordained.

[edit on 7/14/2005 by FlyersFan]

top topics

join