It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

interesting fact!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Did you know that the Death penatly still stands for treason? i never knew that, so i thought i would share it with you all

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
ignore that, just found out that Jack Straw signed that away in 1998
...crap, so death penalty does not stand *sighs* i thought i had an interesting fact then

[edit on 11-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Source
When the 6th Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights was ratified on the 20 May 1999 all provisions for the death penalty were finally abolished in the United Kingdom. The UK later (October 10, 2003) acceded to the 13th Protocol, explicitly abolishing the death penalty under all circumstances.

As a legacy from colonial times, several islands in the West Indies still had the British Judicial Committee of the Privy Council as the court of last appeal; though the death penalty has been retained in these islands, the Privy Council would sometimes delay or deny executions. These islands severed links with the British court system in 2001 in order to speed up executions

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
* removes nonsensical statement about geography after reading Forum header *

[edit on 11-7-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
ignore that, just found out that Jack Straw signed that away in 1998
...crap, so death penalty does not stand *sighs* i thought i had an interesting fact then

Lucky for Blair.

Doesn't taking one's nation to war on false pretenses count as treason?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Yeah, with a firing squad.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Yeah, with a firing squad.

Too bad our government lost the rule book on treason.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
treason isnt punishable by death anymore nether is burning ships in dock on the Thames. heres how i know;

27th January 1999. The Home Secretary (Jack Straw) formally signed the 6th protocol of the European Convention of Human Rights in Strasbourg, on behalf of the British government formally abolishing the death penalty in the UK. It had been still theoretically available for treason and piracy up to 1998 but it was extremely unlikely that even if anyone had been convicted of these crimes over the preceding 30 years that they would have actually been executed. Successive Home Secretaries had always reprieved persons sentenced to death in the Channel Islands and Isle of Man where the death sentence for murder could still be passed and the Royal Prerogative was observed.

my source is; www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk...

i heard of it on QI one of the best game shows ever
i dont know when burning ships in the thames was reclassed though

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
We can only use it during war time, thats the only reason under EU law that we can use it. I read it the daily mail a couple of months ago.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

in times of war or imminent threat of war

says the bill

my source is; www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk...

[edit on 27/10/05 by mik0001000]

new topics

top topics

join