It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You damn Liberals!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Why is the word 'Liberal' used as an insult?

If you read these threads often enough the worlds liberal, politically correct and do gooder often crop up together when disagreeing with someone.

Why is describing someone as a liberal used offensively?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It's an ancient tactic, demonize your opposition, create an enemy to bang the drums of war with. It's an illusion. There hasn't been any real opposing political parties in the US since the early 1860's. If you ever watch professional 'Wrestling' you get the idea. They put on a good show pretending to argue over trivial crap like abortion, or gun control, but when the lights go off and the cameras aren't recording, they eat the same coporate steak dinners and cash the same lobbyist checks. The Industrial Revolution was the end of the American Idealology. There is only one party in the US, the Industrialists.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I understand you question. It is similar to "right wing" being used for conservatives. Society tends to coin phrases that suit their agenda and for whatever reason these phrase took hold and can be viewed by some as insulting. I for one find the phrase "your ignorant" to be a little insulting however I have learned on this site it is not degrading, rather only refers to ones knowledge of a particular subject.

Don't let it get to you and perhaps, make up a fun phrase of your own and see if it takes off.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe

If you read these threads often enough the worlds liberal, politically correct and do gooder often crop up together when disagreeing with someone.

Because today's liberal party leaders seem to have taken out all logic and reasoning from the issues they stand for; hypocrisy, elitism, and their doubt standard stances, are oblivious to them.

[edit on 11-7-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Because today's liberal party leaders seem to have taken out all logic and reasoning from the issues they stand for; hypocrisy, elitism, and their doubt standard stances, are oblivious to them.

There is no liberal party in this country.

Your second statement could be even more applied to today's "Republican" party. Are YOU oblivious to that?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe

The same charges can be leveled against the conservatives.

I think the problem is that the liberals act ashamed when the conservatives come up accusing them of all sorts of ridiculous things -- basically guilt-tripping them. I would like liberals to stand up and say, "yes, I'm liberal. So there."

And perhaps point out that the conservatives of today are taking what was the liberal stance some 100 years ago.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Yes, you're probly right on that. I know that in the media, I work with liberals, and they are not afraid to point that out. In light of what's going on today, I understand them totally. And I've always been conservative.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
LOL! You brain surgeons want to argue political parties!
Think about it; the liberals' home is the Democratic party - hand's down. How much of the liberal agenda do they get through? Very little. Why? Because most of America doesn't buy into that crap!

The Republican party is supposed to be the party of the Conservative nowadays, but have you seen much of the Conservative agenda go anywhere? Of course not! Why? Because they really don't want to to push it as it goes against their masters' wishes.

Both horses in this race is owned by the same people, so go ahead and continue to play their game. Sure, there are still a few of us who know how it was meant to be, but their not concerned with us, but the next generation. They always look toward the next generation.

Sorry. I forgot that this is PTS and not the conspiratorial board.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

[edit on 11-7-2005 by TrueLies]

What is that saying about a pot meeting a kettle?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Well.. so far this seems to be the most popular comment on this thread.

Look in the mirror, mate. Your talking to yourself.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It is meant to conjure up all of the things that conservatives fear most.

If your a liberal, then when you hear that word, you are probably thinking of Thomas Jefferson, FDR, free school lunches and the EPA saving Americas wetlands.

When demagogues use that word, they mean a different image: anti-family, anti-religion, elitist, globalist and anti-small business.

You don't take it as an insult. But then it isn't aimed at you--it's aimed at the conservatives, and is supposed to rally the troops.

Surely you knew that.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I guess when you feel under siege, you feel you must rally the troops.

The term liberal isn't near as offensive or threatening as it once was, for me. I guess b/c now I can see the benefits of that liberal hand throughout the 20th-century. A lot of the things we conservatives enjoy today came from liberal legislation.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
ECK, you'd probably stop and cry if you were to consider how better things would have been had it not been for the liberal,that is, big government working in unconstitutional ways, meddling.

Here's a big liberal, a major player in the destruction of the nation, and this is what he thinks:

"The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities." --Zbigniew Brzezinski

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Oh but he's the one of the grand masters of the Neo Con movement. Very stealth, tho he is.

I give him and is grand chessboard two big thumbs down.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I guess when you feel under siege, you feel you must rally the troops.

It's not the demagogues who feel under seige. Not by a long shot.

It's the millions of American voters, who have felt besieged for decades (thank you, that's the perfect word), and think that maybe someone shares their fears and dreams.

new topics

top topics

join