It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Navy want F-35, not the Super Hornets that were offered

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
The topic of this thread is:
Indian Navy want F-35, not the Super Hornets that were offered

Please stay on topic. As I recall you were asked just a page ago to do so. If you wish to have a debate about the socioeconomic conditions in India and China please start a thread on that topic. this is an aviation forum.

The Jacking of this thread will stop here.

Thanks
FredT

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Targeting F-35 JSF –– Indian Navy’s Masterstroke

In a significant move the Indian Navy categorically stated its preference for Lockheed Martin’s F-35 JSF (Joint Strike Fighter) over Boeing’s F/A-18E/F ‘Super Hornet’ offered by the United States. Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Arun Prakash, himself a distinguished naval fighter pilot, expressed as much while speaking to reporters after commissioning INS Beas, a Brahmaputra Class Guided Missile armed Helicopter carrying Frigate (FFGH) at the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd, Kolkata on July 11, 2005.

The CNS cited the inherent incompatibility of the Super Hornet with the aircraft carriers of the Indian Navy, which incorporate the concept of Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery (STOBAR), in absence of the steam catapults necessary for the Super Hornets for take-off. On the other hand, the Indian aircraft carriers utilise the “ski-jump” that forms an integral part of the STOBAR operations. The Short Take-Off and Vertical Landing (STOVL) version of the F-35B being developed for United States Marine Corps (USMC) can utilise the ski-jump for take-off and would be more suitable for the Indian Navy.

www.indiadefence.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Please stay on topic. As I recall you were asked just a page ago to do so. If you wish to have a debate about the socioeconomic conditions in India and China please start a thread on that topic. this is an aviation forum.

The Jacking of this thread will stop here.

Thanks
FredT

aight i'll stop but the only reason i said something is because he asked me to. Anyways, the JSF will be a great plane and any country would do well to have them in their arsenal.

The Super Hornet is also a fine plane and I feel that this plane would be a good choice for India over the JSF.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk

The Super Hornet is also a fine plane and I feel that this plane would be a good choice for India over the JSF.

thanks,
drfunk

except the small issue of the indian navy not having any carriers able to use it....

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Also here's some nice speculation :

HMS invincible haeded for the Indian Navy

and this is from www.globalsecurity.org...

HMS Invincible
In mid-2002 the rumor going around London was that the UK would put up the aircraft carrier HMS Invincible for sale in 2006. Since the Indian Navy's plans include several aircraft carriers, it made great sense that the Indian Navy will bid for the Invincible.

HMS Invincible could become the new flagship of the Indian navy in a controversial multi- million-pound deal with the British Ministry of Defence (MoD). The aircraft carrier, along with naval Sea Harrier jets to fly from it, was at the top of Delhi's military shopping list. Britain has three aircraft carriers; the others are HMS Ark Royal and HMS Illustrious. Invincible is due to be taken out of service in 2006.

The Government of India proposed to buy 17 second-hand Sea Harriers from the Royal Navy of the UK. The Government has been collecting information whether there are surplus Fleet Air Arm Sea Harriers. Royal Navy Sea Harriers are said to cost $9 million each and they also suit Indian Navy's requirements. About 29 Sea Harriers are available for disposal. Indian Navy, at present, has 17 units of FRS 51 model. Indian Navy might consider going for total fleet replacement. Sea Harriers can also be used for operational roles. This will suit INS Virat, as it can only carry Vertical/short take off and landing aircraft of size of the Sea Harriers. These can also be deployed across the border.

India's aircraft carriers :

> INS Vikrant (rt)
> INS Viraat - 32 Sea Harriers+ Ka-31 Helix-B+Sea King Mk.42B + Ka-28 Helix-A+Sea King Mk.42C
> INS Virkamadithya power projection carrier(to arrive from Russia in 2007/2008 after new refit)- 40 Mig-29K's + E-2C Hawkeye 2000 AWACS + mix of Ka-28 ASW helicopters and Ka-31 AEW helicopters + few HAL Dhruv/Sea King
> Indegenous carrier ADS (service in 2010): 16 Naval LCA combat aircrafts+ 10 HAL Dhruv + 2 Ka-31 AEW

And would it be too much to ask if India asked for a few second hand Nimitz calss carriers that are approaching retirement to be refitted(paid for by India) and given to India.

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The quote is from 2002 - before they updated the FSR51`s - so if india DID buy HMS Invincible , then would they also want toe FA2`s as well? The radar on the FS2 IIRC was used as a base for the Typhoon`s radar - and is very good.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
The quote is from 2002 - before they updated the FSR51`s - so if india DID buy HMS Invincible , then would they also want toe FA2`s as well? The radar on the FS2 IIRC was used as a base for the Typhoon`s radar - and is very good.

Well the article is dated late september 2004

Well i assume that if the sale of the carrier were to take place, then the FA2 harriers will be taken along with it if and only if the F-35's are not offered....how are its(fa2 s/h) BVR capabilities ??

Infact i've read that the Invincible is on offer and aslo that India is not the only one that's showing intrest...having trouble finding that link...will post it as soon as i find it.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It uses Blue Vixen - and can tarck and enage 4 targets with 4 AMRAAMS

www.airforce-technology.com...

as for capabilities , it has 11 modes

www.airtoaircombat.com...

as for range - i believe its something like 139-148 km, using low, medium and high PRFs

And its the Father for CAPTOR.

Its argued that ist *probably* the best pulse doppler radar in the world.

And no it isn`t based upon the AN/APG-65 or 66 - its purely British.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Chinawhite, i must admit you never seem to let go of a chance to hijack a thread...what does this have to do with education at all ...... the last time i checked - an educated person would never post false stuff on education in an F-35 thread.

Your eagerness to take swipes at India by posting fabricated stuff is amazing to say the least.

For the last time, if chinawhite and his aussie friend dfunk, want to post any filth on India go do so in one of those flame war forums....and quit spamming other threads and disrupting some good informative discussion with your never failing anti-India rhetoric.

Like Raj said if you have nothing to contribute to the topic other than some "wtf..lol..India is poor" crap then please stay off this thread...and quit trolling.

Now if we can hopefully get back to the topic,

and Question : Will the planned naval variant of the Eurofighter require steam catapults for launch ??

and since Boeing are persuading the Indian Air Force to buy the super hornet (read prev page) after the Indian Navy turned down the offer, could anyone tell me if F-18's have ever been land operated in history ??..and if so tell me about their effectiveness.

and another question : Will the prospective operators of the F-35 other than the USAF, be getting planes inferior to the ones that the USAF will have ???

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Another reason why India might not buy the offered block 2 super hornet

Late in June, Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi had been invited to take a spin in one of Boeing’s F/A-18s at the Le Bourget air show. While landing, the Hornet’s nosewheel refused to come down because of an undercarriage problem, sparking off elaborate emergency measures on the ground, in case Tyagi and the American pilot needed to eject. Later, the pilots were able to bring down the jet safely.

www.indianexpress.com...

another interesting quote :

While the IAF has no qualms in admitting that the Super Hornet is possibly the most advanced fighter currently in full-rate production, most officials in the force insist that the Hornet has always been a platform designed for carrier-borne maritime missions. Almost all Hornets in possession of the US forces at present are with the aircraft carrier groups.

The Boeing team will try its best to dispel this popular opinion that the Horent is a Naval platform. Friday’s presentation will most likely have Boeing informing the IAF — as Lt Gen Jeffrey Kohler of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency had done earlier this year — that the Super Hornet can be upgraded and tweaked for conventional multi-role operations.

Interestingly, it’s the Indian Navy which will first get a taste of the Hornet this September during a joint exercises with the US at the Arabian Sea.

url

New exercises are something to look forward to as well

And here's a carrot for India to go in for the Super Hornet :

Since US media reports indicate Bush administration’s clearance for possible transfer of sensitive radar technology like Raytheon AN/APG-79 AESA radar of the Super Hornet to India, diplomatic bargaining to secure the AN/APG-81 AESA radar may well bear fruit.

www.indiadefence.com...

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
chinawhite, please give it a rest. these tirades are so tedious I have now got to the stage where I just scroll past your replies on here which is a shame as there might be something interesting hidden in there that I am missing.

Now if we can hopefully get back to the topic,

and Question : Will the planned naval variant of the Eurofighter require steam catapults for launch ??

There will be no navalised Typhoon, it was proposed to the RN for the future carriers but the decision was taken to retain STOVL capability instead.

The best modern type for carrier ops is probably the Rafale M, even if it is French.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Ignoring the trolls, heres something that will open the pandora's box :

The HMS invincilbe was retired just 3 days back.....and India is most likely to get it (just like the Viraat carrier)...

Check this out .... UK aircraft carrier HMS Invincible decommissioned

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see how the Indian harriers even begin to cope with the Super Hornets - although if india do get the Invincible then maybe they`ll ge the FA2 sea harrier as well , especially for the BVR capability

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I don't see where this HMS thign will fit into India's future carrier ambtions..
Unless they've suddenly decided to tout more than 2 carriers at a time..
Highly unlikely this HMS deal..

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
right now they have 1 (maybe 2) carriers - and the Viraant needs replacing kinda soon

so to buy Invincible and her Sea Harrier FA2`s would be a good move.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The deal is like this..

The Vikrant is retired.. Its a floating musuem of the Bombay harbour..
(Hope its still there!!
)
THe Viraat is slated to serve until 2010..
The Gorshkov(Vikramaditya) is to be launched in 07-08 I think..
Don't know for how long the Gorshkov is sto be kept in service..
The indigenous indian carrier (ADS) is slated for launch around 2012
(48000 tons I think)
So I really don't see where the Invincible fits in..Also SS articles are all before 2005 ..
I was looking for something more recent...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
They buy Invincible and retire Hermes (viraat) , and with the russian carrier for the MiG 29`K`s they have 2 carriers till the new one in 7 years time

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
does anyone know if fa-18's can take off and land from the Invincible ?

[edit on 3-8-2005 by alien]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
invincible is like the viraat and like it is a VSTOL carrier and has a ramp...so it cant handdle block 2 F/A-18 super hornets that Boeing are persuading India to buy......perhaps it may be a good time to ask for a Nimitz class carrier from the US could us to handle the super hornets

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is the 3rd time I've had to edit out 'off topic' replies...I'm essentially lazy and hate it...so now I'm p*ssed.

BE ADVISED - ANYONE WHO POSTS ANOTHER OFF TOPIC REPLY IN THIS THREAD WILL BE BANNED - PERMENANTLY

[edit on 3-8-2005 by alien]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join