It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing EMP Threat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Do I read correctly and can I believe my eyes, when a so called respected Senator - John Kyl no less - states in an interview that terrorists pose a threat to the US because they might gain nuclear technology and detonate an 'EMP' bomb a 'couple of kilometers above the earth's surface?'

How would terrorists drop their bomb? How could they fly away and get clear of their bomb?

EMP is an Electromagnetic Pulse or for you non Nuc Bio Chem warfare specs, an intense broad spectrum band of electrical energy, released at the point of detonation of a nuclear device - much like lightning!

It ain't fatal to anybody but military radio operators who receive incoming messages on radios, people on life support in ICUs (hospitals) or using mobly phones.

Worst case scenario is whole (total) body radiation (electrical) burns as energy passed down radio antenna, through yer head and earths through yer feet. Yes you will die.

This guy deserves a right royal kick up the ares for scare-mungering and whipping up a frenzy over nothing.

Militarily, EMP is a problem but nowadays, radios and computers are hardened against EMP.

Who is this nutter John Kyl? What state does he represent? And what clowns voted for him?

*Edited caps lock title*

[edit on 11-7-2005 by dbates]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
really? do you have a fariday cage around your electrical equipment? What you mean to say is that most millitary equipment is hardened against EMP, however, most civilian ellectrical equipment is not....

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Well Solarity I simply cannot understand what a Fariday Cage has got to do with terrs dropping a nuclear ('EMP') bomb on a tgt.

As all Brit military communication devices have built in solar/radiaton shields which dissipate the effects of EMP, I can only assume that other military services around the world have given their comms equipment the same level of protection.

One of the best defences against EMP is to switch off, thus forcing the EMP to earth quicker and not through your radios or cell phones.

Things like MRI scanners and other sensative hospital equipment are not built to withstand the effects of thermal (EMP) radiation etc.

This, as we say in the NucBioChem warfare circles, is called the Transient Radiation Effects apon Electronics or TREE for short. It is the radiaton (EMP) that is transient and not the effects.

But nobody has answered my question. Who is this senator and why is he rumour mongering?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
There is no 'thermal' EMP radiation..
Here's a quicky for you but I'd read up some more:

1. The electromagnetic radiation from an explosion (especially nuclear explosions) or an intensely fluctuating magnetic field caused by Compton-recoil electrons and photoelectrons from photons scattered in the materials of the electronic or explosive device or in a surrounding medium. The resulting electric and magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges. The effects are usually not noticeable beyond the blast radius unless the device is nuclear or specifically designed to produce an electromagnetic shockwave.
2. A broadband, high-intensity, short-duration burst of electromagnetic energy.
en.wikipedia.org...

And as for the Faraday cage, here's another quickie from good old Wikipedia, if you do some research you will learn that it will protect devices from things such as EMPs, and you'll also find that a statement like

but nowadays, radios and computers are hardened against EMP
is obviously wrong.

The Faraday cage is an electrical apparatus designed to prevent the passage of electromagnetic waves, either containing them in or excluding them from its interior space. It is named for physicist Michael Faraday, who built the first one in 1836.

Faraday stated that the charge on a charged conductor resided only on its exterior, and had no influence on anything enclosed within it. To demonstrate this fact he built a room coated with metal foil, and allowed high-voltage discharges from an electrostatic generator to strike the outside of the room. He used an electroscope to show that there was no excess electric charge on the inside of the room's walls.

This shielding effect is used to eliminate electric fields within a volume, for example to protect electronic equipment from lightning strikes and other electrostatic discharges (ESDs).

The same effect was predicted earlier by Francesco Beccaria (1716–1781) at the University of Turin, a student of Benjamin Franklin's work, who stated that "all electricity goes up to the free surface of the bodies without diffusing in their interior substance". Later, the Belgian physicist Louis Melsens (1814–1886) applied the principle to lightning conductors.

The Faraday cage is sometimes known as a Faraday shield. The latter term is also used more generally for any kind of electrostatic shielding.
en.wikipedia.org...

Also an EMP bomb does not have to be nuclear in origin, an EMP pulse is a side effect of a nuclear blast but it is not the only way producing one. Without going into too much detail as I don't want to feed any info to 'unsavoury' types that might read this (though some searching on the internet will eventually tell you everything you need to know, it isn't actually a secret), a weapon a current method of producing a high energy EMP is using conventional high explosives detonating in time with a sudden high energy discharge into a coil in such a way that sends out a powerful EMP burst. That's in basics of course, if your really interested search around. But the point is that you don't need a nuke.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

Who is this nutter John Kyl? What state does he represent? And what clowns voted for him?

*Edited caps lock title*

[edit on 11-7-2005 by dbates]

John Kyl is a senator in the united states senate for the state of Arizona, along with John McCain. As for who voted for him....well the state of Arizona of course.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
To even get that technology would be hard and I doubt if any one would give this away to terrorists unless its government sponsered with betrayal.

These terrorists are using second rate tactics and they will not get that lucky or smart in the first place.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I'd be pretty impressed if the terrorists could get their hands on something to get a nuke high enough to detonate and cause an EMP disruption. They'd need a missile of some sort, so unless it was state sponsored, I don't see how a terrorist organization could get their hands on one. EMP IS something that we need to be ready for, but I don't think it's as big a threat right now as they're hyping it up to be.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Fritz, having a faraday cage would protect electrical equipment by diverting the flow around the cage, and away from the sensitive equipment. If the bomb is dropped that high up, you wouldn't need to worry about the explosive blast because it's too far away to do any real damage.

If terrorists can get their hands on a nuclear bomb, I can't see why there would be that much of a problem in getting a plane or missile to detonate it at that altitude. They'd probably get it from the same suppliers who got them the nuke. Of course I doubt that they have the ability to do this, but if they were to detonate a large nuclear bomb 500 kilometers above the Earth's surface, they could knock out all electrical equipment in the entire continental US. Scary thought. If you want to read some more into the EMP, check out my research here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I'd be pretty impressed if the terrorists could get their hands on something to get a nuke high enough to detonate and cause an EMP disruption. They'd need a missile of some sort, so unless it was state sponsored, I don't see how a terrorist organization could get their hands on one. EMP IS something that we need to be ready for, but I don't think it's as big a threat right now as they're hyping it up to be.

All they would need is a couple of $100 weather balloons, some helium and a GPS from Radio Shack.

Launch your device from a boat in international waters, beyond reach of the Coast Guard, and let the jet-stream fly your device over your target city. The GPS, programmed with the desired coordinates releases the device over your city target and....BOOM!

Simple. Once you get the nuke, it's cost maybe $10,000 including boat rental. You could probably hit any city within 500-1000 miles of the coast and be headed out to sea before anyone had any idea about what happened. You could do it on land as well; but there would be an increased likelyhood of detection from radiation detectors, which would imperil your chances of a successfull launch.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Bhadhidar]

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Bhadhidar]

M6D

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Hmmm...which country do you al to believe would most likely sell a nuke?

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They terrorists will only likely to get second hand weapons anyway and anything new like EMP will be unlikely. Its more likely to be nuclear weapons and thats worse. Here is a link to an article below see what you think, research on it more, I just got it from another link.

Quote from the link below:
According to captured al-Qaida leaders and documents, the plan is called the "American Hiroshima" and involves the multiple detonation of nuclear weapons already smuggled into the U.S. over the Mexican border with the help of the MS-13 street gang and other organized crime groups.

www.wnd.com...

new topics

top topics

join