It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eurofighter is still a most deathly weapon system

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Im as big of a proponent of US aircraft as anyone, but the Typhoon is better then the Eagle, bottom line.

Seekerof,

If I am reading those projections for the RCS right, the F-117 would be 'more stealthy' to radar then thr Raptor. I was always under the impression that the Raptor was somewhere inbetween the Nighthawk and the Spirit in radar stealth...

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
AMM Like Seekerof said the true RCS values are still Top Secret those figures are not etched in stone just the best estimates we’ve got.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

As for your sources, if you believe sources from computer game sites, be my guest, but they rarely provide factual information, on any thing but the most basic of information e.g. It has two engines not three etc

This shows your ignorance goose, AvWeekly and Jane's are probably the 2 most reliable sources out there.

www.sci.fi...

It would be fair to say that the F/A-18E/F employs the most extensive radar cross section reduction measures of any contemporary fighter, other than the very low observable F-22 and planned JSF. While the F/A-18E/F is not a true stealth fighter like the F-22, it will have a forward sector RCS arguably an order of magnitude smaller than seventies designed fighters. Since every deciBel of RCS reduction counts until you get into the range of weapon payload RCS, the F/A-18E/F represents the reasonable limit of what is worth doing on a fighter carrying external stores. None of the RCS reduction features employed in the F/A-18E/F are visible on any of the three Eurocanards, which raises interesting questions about the relative forward sector RCS reduction performance of these types.

Section 1.2, paragraph 15.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Im as big of a proponent of US aircraft as anyone, but the Typhoon is better then the Eagle, bottom line.

Name me one thing the Typhoon can do that the Eagle can't.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hockeyguy567.............check your u2u inbox, ASAP.
Thank you.

seekerof

[edit on 19-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Seeing as you're so adamant you name one thing the F-15 can do which the Typhoon can't.

In answer to your own question I think I will offer 'supercruise' as an answer.

Although you only asked for one thing 'swing role' reprogramming at the touch of a button springs to mind as well.

Although in truth the question itself is infantile, in a 'my dad can beat your dad' kind of way.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
As of right now, the Typhoon doesn't have as good radar, or as good weapons as the F-15, and it won't for about another five years.

The Eagle can do pretty much anything a Typhoon can, as of right now.

[edit on 19-7-2005 by Hockeyguy567]

Mod edit: you do not need to quote the entire post that is directly preceeding yours.

[edit on 19-7-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
But you asked for one thing Typhoon can do which the F-15 can't. I gave you two, though with resaearch I could provide some more no doubt.

On the other hand you say that the F-15 can do 'pretty much' everything the Typhoon can. Wow, impressive.

You also qualify this statement (as always) with 'as of right now'.

How do you know what the Typhoon can do 'as of right now'?

The answer of course is 'you don't'. The reason for this is that with the Typhoons working up into squadron service its operational envelope is expanding every day. But being a SuperHornet fanboy as you are you like to think that the Typhoon is still at DA level. Go on, admit it.

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Greetings,

I honestly believe that, no matter what material and information you display to some characters on this thread, they will still claim that their view is correct in all respects.

A few points, I am confused by the fact that you state that the Eurofighter Radar system is lacking, when compared to the ASEA Radar system being fitted to the latest of the F/A-18E/Fs, admittedly, I haven't been able to find much on this upgraded AGP-63 variant. Although what I have found is very similar if not nearly identical to the Sea Vixen's Variant fitted to the Eurofighter, High Defination Mapping, Look up and Look Down ability, increased memory and processing power, Low Probability of Intercept (LPI) capability, multiband radar emission ability. It should also be noted that the Eurofighter has intergrated its Self Defense system with the Radar system, not to mention it is fitted with the latest in IR detection and attack system. I would say those are pretty comparable in most respects, I haven't seen any range figures thought.

Another thing, is the fact that your source, is merely an opinion, much likely yours too and mine for that matter, because the European nations have selected a different way to design their aircraft, for all you know the design of the Eurofighter and Rafale may infact be more effective than your nations aircraft designs, its just how it. During WW2 prefered fighters without armour and more ability in the dogfight, where as the US and British prefered their pilots to come back. Thats just how it is, because it is different to your percieved idea of stealth, please understand that, I don't want to have to explain the Birds and the Bees to any one on this forum!

As Waynos has already mentioned, there are a number of abilities that the Eurofighter has which the F-15C's lack, this does include a truely multifunction computer system, not to mention the ability to drop Air to Ground Muntions, this also includes the inability to attack martime targets, some thing the Eurofighter can do, also, the prime example is supercruise, another item that the F-15 currently lacks.

- Phil

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
But you asked for one thing Typhoon can do which the F-15 can't. I gave you two, though with resaearch I could provide some more no doubt.

On the other hand you say that the F-15 can do 'pretty much' everything the Typhoon can. Wow, impressive.

You also qualify this statement (as always) with 'as of right now'.

Look, I have no doubt in my mind that the Typhoon will be superior to the F-15 within the next 5-10 years. But I keep saying the "as of right now" because you keep saying that the Typhoon is the "2nd best fighter right now" when it's not.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
just started checkin out these aircraft posts, and damn that eurofighter is a sexy killer! used to be in love with jets when i was younger, kinda gettin back in the loop of things, and from what ive been seein, its better than before!

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hockeyguy567

Look, I have no doubt in my mind that the Typhoon will be superior to the F-15 within the next 5-10 years. But I keep saying the "as of right now" because you keep saying that the Typhoon is the "2nd best fighter right now" when it's not.

Well, I have never used 'as of right now' when discussing the merits or otherwise of any fighter or any other aircraft.

Where do you get '5-10 years' from? Typhoons are beating F-15's in mock engagements today and have done so routinely for several months since the squadron pilots got them. And before you get the red mist and start spouting about 'real combat records' (a) it is not the Typhoons fault that it has not been to war yet and (b) we are talking about capability not what was achieved in the past. That is a separate discussion and would have to include the Spitfire, P-51 et al. Clearly including those types in this discussion would be ridiculous so try not to confuse matters.

I am confused why you would think it will take years for the Typhoon to overhaul US types currently in service? Do you also think that the Raptor will only be better than the F-15 in five to ten years?

[edit on 21-7-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Amazing direction of this thread. OK guys [and maybe girls], what about to make some war: European Union vs. USA. Then we can see in real situation, which fighter is the best in multirole action [air-to-air, air-to-surface, CSAR, martime attack, SEAD, air fire support...]

PS: compare Eurofighter to F-15 is the same like to compare F-22 to Dassault Mirage F-1.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by matej]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well, the mmissiles top-speed is good... so no chance for any countermeasures...

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Cant the Eurofighter carry and fire or drop nearly the entire NATO armaments range, just like the F-15? Since the US is willing to sell the UK nearly all of its range of ordanance, what specifically can the F-15 utilise that the Eurofighter cant?

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I think thats a half truth Richard, The F-15E can carry most of the nato muntions, as you know the F-15E is a redesigned version of the F-15 fighter, basically a pure bomb truck, sure she can launch missiles in self defense, but her abilities in a dogfight are greatly degraded. The F-15C can't to my knowledge carry any ground attack muntions, merely 20 mike mike, thats it. the Eurofighter can be both a fighter and a bomb truck in the same mission. Without the loss of much of her dogfighting abilities.

- Phil

[edit on 22-7-2005 by gooseuk]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The C had a very limited bombing capability. It could carry a few iron bombs, but no precision weapons, and I think only 500 pounders. That is where they actually came up with the idea for the E model from.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
i would take a Tornado GR4 over the F-15E - i can only think it was pride that meant the USAF didn`t get the best low level strike aircraft , and had to settle for second best.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Thats correct. You may not have seen it but I mentioned a few days ago how the Tornado was proposed to the USAF.

This was back in 1979, before it had yet entered service when the USAF tested it and it was declared by a leading USAF General of the day (I would give his name but I no longer possess that edition of Flight ) to be 'absolutely the best plane for the job'. Grumman was even partnered by BAe (who led the effort rather than Panavia) so that it would be produced in the USA.

However there was a significant lobby in the Pentagon that was labelled by Flight 'the NIH lobby' - meaning 'Not Invented Here' - and it led to the rival F-16E and F-15E proposals going forward for further evaluation instead despite the protests of both the USAF and Grumman.

I remember there were rumblings for several months afterwards in the editorial columns of Flight bemoaning the US position and asking 'what happened to the two way street?' referring to the US president (Carter) talkng about a 'two way street' of arms sales across the atlantic.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by matej
Amazing direction of this thread. OK guys [and maybe girls], what about to make some war: European Union vs. USA. Then we can see in real situation, which fighter is the best in multirole action [air-to-air, air-to-surface, CSAR, martime attack, SEAD, air fire support...]

PS: compare Eurofighter to F-15 is the same like to compare F-22 to Dassault Mirage F-1.

[edit on 21-7-2005 by matej]

The yanks would send all their tomahawks to destoy all airfields first.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join