It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say goodbye to world wide web

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that we are living in the last weeks of
modern day internet.
"cyberterrorism is a serious and immediate threat to the Western World."
Once we get hit, (and we will get hit very soon), the only
pages remaining will carry FEMA logo.
Go figure.

As of July 14, 2003 according to US Embassy report for
Congress entitled, "Critical Infrastructure: Control Systems
and the Terrorist Threat":

quote:

Some experts warn of a cascade event, where a terrorist is able to manipulatecontrol systems and cause catastrophic failure within an infrastructure. Cascadeevents can be very damaging, causing widespread utility outages.

Seoul
June 10 2003

Computers are rare and Internet access is almost
non-existent for most people in North Korea. Yet the
isolated country is suspected of training computer hackers
for cyberterrorism, US and South Korean officials say.

The secret exercise, known as "Eligible Receiver," proved
that hackers could easily shut down the U.S. electric-power
grid within days and "render impotent" the
command-and-control elements of the U.S. Pacific Command,
NSA officials said.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Blah.

Misinformed alarmist disinformation.

The Internet is not going anywhere... it's as important, if not more so, than electricity.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Even if shutting down the power grid was the act of hackers (which I do not think is the case), it would have no effect whatsoever on military command and control centers, as they easily have the capability to operate off the grid...

Likewise, while a coordinated cyber attack could possibly thwart commerce...sensitive command and control networks are independent of the regular internet network and can function fine without it. It would take a coordinated attack from within the network to casue anything at all, and the stop-gap measures are mind-boggling.

Where do you think our top hackers go to work? You think they are in jail? Oh no....

The internet is here to stay...I'd bet good money on that....

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
Blah.

Misinformed alarmist disinformation.

The Internet is not going anywhere... it's as important, if not more so, than electricity.

I don�t deny it, but 50 years ago there was no internet, and the world was working properly, people made their lives and it was not needed right?
Doesn�t make you think how they buillt up the technocracy?

Is scary how much we depend on electronical devices now, 50 years ago the population and the goverment did not need it that much....

[Edited on 18-8-2003 by CoLD aNGeR]

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
You do mean the WWW in it's present form, right?
~~~

cannot imagine the govt & industry casting aside,

a micro-management tool...

a potential revenue source...
~~~

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Remeber, every military unit out there posseses portable generators, and run off these in a field environment. Same with major instilations, they have seperate grids, own power plants ect.

And youire right, many hackers that get caught get the "work for the pentagon or go to jail " line. the pentagon has some of the worlds best hackers, cuz as soon as you hack the system, the men in black our bustin down your door and giving you an offer you cant refuse.

Sorry, but those wannabes in north korea aint got a shot. temprarily inable the rest of us, maybe, but noit the big boys.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I don�t deny it, but 50 years ago there was no internet, and the world was working properly, people made their lives and it was not needed right?

This much is true. Then again, 50 years ago, we were not near as much of a global economy. Now, something happening in Asia can affect the market within minutes, not days or weeks. The world was working, to be sure, but not as effeciently.

What's more amazing, is that we created all of these little devices as time savers, so we could do less work and save more time. Instead, we are spending the same amount of time working, but simply doing more work! We humans certainly are odd little creatures....

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

This much is true. Then again, 50 years ago, we were not near as much of a global economy. Now, something happening in Asia can affect the market within minutes, not days or weeks. The world was working, to be sure, but not as effeciently.

What's more amazing, is that we created all of these little devices as time savers, so we could do less work and save more time. Instead, we are spending the same amount of time working, but simply doing more work! We humans certainly are odd little creatures....

I guess Gazrok that normal humans did not decide this, just people with power access and money could do this,
i think you know what i mean ha�?

join