It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Polluted Countries by Rank

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Found this, pretty interesting, i'm sure the typical stereotyper would say that the US is the top polluter in the world and they are bastards for not signing the Kyoto Agreement, but I have my opinions as to why they didn't.
But that isn't the subject here. This is about the top polluted countries in the world so here they are:

Rank Country Tons of Carbon per person
1 Qatar 20.05
2 United Arab Emirates 10.36
3 Kuwait 8.69
4 Guam 7.76
5 Bahrain 7.66
6 Singapore 7.04
7 United States 6.04
8 Luxembourg 5.69
9 Brunei 5.28
10 Australia 5.19

Source

Anyone care to admit their surprise?

I must say I am abit shocked myself..

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
That's per person not total amount. The Largest polluter is still the good ole US of A.

I also think that top 10 list is inaccurate due to the fact I was under the impression that Canada was more wastfull per person then the US, but since we are so much smaller then the US we don't nearly pollute as much.

[edit on 10-7-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
That's per person not total amount. The Largest polluter is still the good ole US of A.

I also think that top 10 list is inaccurate due to the fact I was under the impression that Canada was more wastfull per person then the US, but since we are so much smaller then the US we don't nearly pollute as much.

I am aware it was per person... Do you mind telling me why you think the list is inaccurate and provide some useful information I can read to get an idea where your impression is coming from?
I would like to point out, the developing countries like in the middle east use older cars which give off more emissions because they don't have emission standards like the us and can do.
And I think that would put them pretty high up the list.
Have you ever seen the cars they drive and the factories they have?
They are so outdated, and they dont have epa standards like north america does.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Lol @ Luxemburg.

The only reason they are in there is because they get the smog from all surrounding country's, belgium, germany and france and only have 500000 inhabitants...

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm surprised at the carbon pollution in Singapore, Luxembourg and Australia.
The rest are not surprising.
Oil producnig countries are pretty likely to have lots of pollution of all kinds.
I am a little surprised that Iran and Saudi Arabia aren't on there.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
"I can read to get an idea where your impression is coming from? "

I believe it was a CBC Program called the 5th estate so no linky. Maybe it's changed but I was under the impression that Canada was in the top 5 while the USA was farther down not in the top 10 at least from what I remember.

thematrix makes a great point too, pollution knows no boarders which might have scewed the results by quite a bit. Remember these countries are dirt poor(the Populace not the Gov't Coffers) and the people driving cars are the privledged minority in the top 5. They will never be major pollution contributors and looking at it from this perspective only serves to distract from the larger polluters in N. America, EU and Southeast Asia.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here's the top 10 list of total CO2 emissions:

1. United States 5,762,054.0
2. China 3,473,597.3
3. Russia 1,540,365.0
4. Japan 1,224,737.4
5. India 1,007,978.9
6. Germany 837,424.8
7. United Kingdom 558,225.1
8. Canada 521,404.4
9. Italy 446,596.5
10. Mexico 385,075.0

www.nationmaster.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I believe it was a CBC Program called the 5th estate so no linky. Maybe it's changed but I was under the impression that Canada was in the top 5 while the USA was farther down not in the top 10 at least from what I remember.

That's not air pollution, that is solid waste (garbage in our landfills). We throw away the most packaging (per capita), or at least we did in a 1998 study. Since then, and the new kinds of packaging I'm sure you've noticed in stores, and with all the new recycling programs we have across Canada I'd bet we're not in the top ten anymore.

But then again, we're the 2nd largest country in the world and we have less than 36 million people. Why not just make one giant 1000 square km landfill in the middle of the precambrian shield? It wouldn't go anywhere for 150 million years... And we'd be able to mine it for fuels over time (be able to run power planets from the gases we could drop shafts to after 50 years).

I'm all for pollution! The sooner we screw up our planet enough, the sooner we'll start colonizing other planets and finally get our stupid little selfimportant nationalist asses out into the universe.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tbare

I would like to say that I think this list is inaccurate because i've found it on a post with no authoritative reference.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
you know.. as a canadian, even I think we should be in that top ten.

the oilsands are a freaking disaster and southern ontario smells.. you can't breath the air there and you sure don't wanna be swimming in the great lakes settling ponds.

JSR

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

oh here we go again.....

this has been discussed so many times here. and it all depends how you calculate it. per person, or total.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

But that isn't the subject here. This is about the top polluted countries in the world so here they are:

Rank Country Tons of Carbon per person

I'm confused. Would someone like to explain to me why carbon is a pollutant now?

You do realize it is the basis of all life on the planet, right? Every one of you is breathing out CO2 right now...

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This one of those threads that had good intentions and then goes to hell.

I would first consider the link supply the info and the agenda that drives it. Based in Montreal Canada.

Most polluted country is a broad term that defines many things other than just carbon. This is a list that could just as easily said countries with most money to waste on petroleum based products, and it would have been basically the same list.

This list is just another example of tree huggers putting a different spin on their old message.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
lol, it's not often a conversation about pollution turns to "What happened to Canada?"

It depends on the type of pollution in question.

I remember one from last year stating we were 13th worldwide for toxic emissions.

I know CO2 wise, we've dropped considerably.

... and as for landfills, the recycling effort is really taking off, I can't find any buildings who don't have recycling bins any more.

So it really depends on what kind of pollution you're talking about... cause we could throw noise pollution in there too... damned crickets.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Guam.... carbon pollution? wow.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I'm surprised at the carbon pollution in Singapore, Luxembourg and Australia.

i'm surprised singapore rated higher on the list than the US.
interesting list.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

... and as for landfills, the recycling effort is really taking off, I can't find any buildings who don't have recycling bins any more.

I don't know why I laughed when I read that, but I did.

It's 2008.

When I was in High School (in Canada) in 1985, I watched my home town roll out the recycling program for the first time.

Twenty-two years later, the comment that it's "really taking off".

Thing is, you're right. It's taken off. Finally. It's taken a little more than a generation to do it, but people are finally getting clued in. My question is: what took so long?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
You all do realize this thread was started in 2005, right?

I didn't at first, but hey, brings back memories.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Doesn't it make sense that the higher populated the country is the more CO2 output it'll have? Don't we exhale quite a bit of that, while plants inhale it?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join