Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Artificial Meat - Would that be OK with you (and PETA)?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Scientists are now proposing a way to grow artificial meat as a substitute for raising piltry and cattle on farms. Farms are high-polluting environments, plus there's the ethical question of the treatment of those animals (PETA) that are raised for food. Also, artificially produced meat would allow the nutrients to be altered, with harmful parts removed and more healthy parts substituted.

article

Excerpt:

Writing in the journal Tissue Engineering, Matheny said scientists could grow cells from the muscle tissue of cattle, pigs, poultry or fish in large flat sheets on thin membranes. These sheets of cells would be grown and stretched, then removed from the membranes and stacked to increase thickness and resemble meat.

Using another method, scientists could grow muscle cells on small three-dimensional beads that stretch with small changes in temperature. The resulting tissue could be used to make processed meat such as chicken nuggets or hamburgers.

“There would be a lot of benefits from cultured meat,” Matheny said in a statement. “For one thing, you could control the nutrients.”

All that said, would this be a way of still being able to eat meat and not have organizations such a PETA constantly trying to make us feel guilty for eating it? The thought of eating artificial meat might take some getting used to, but it would be much preferrable to earth's huge population having to resort to something like "soylent green".

[edit on 7/10/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I personally cannot wait until true cruelty free meat comes to the market. I'm no vegan or PETA activist but one thing is sure, I do not eat KFC for any reason, two reasons why I don't. Their methods of rearing them and the fear of rat tails and human appendiges(that may be a different company though I forget heh)

If it tastes good I could care less wether it was grown in a petri dish(or in a Vat as is the case here), this technology could also be used to regrow human tissue for use in surgical procedures, maybe even giving us the capabilities to regrow whole organs from just a few cells, amazing stuff!

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You want cruelty free meat?? Then try some of this, if you can afford it.

Kobe beef

An exclusive grade of beef from cattle raised in Kobe, Japan. These pampered cattle are massaged with Sake and fed a special diet that includes plentiful amounts of beer. This specialized treatment results in beef that is extraordinarily tender and full flavored.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 10-7-2005 by mOjOm]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
*drool* Nice Lifestyle, full body messages and unlimited beer rofl, I'll give it a try.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
PETA stands against cruelty of any kind against animals for any reason. I can see no reason why PETA would be against artificial meat.

I'm not sure how I should feel about artificial meat. I already eat enough artificial and prosed foods that are bad for me.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
PETA stands against cruelty of any kind against animals for any reason. I can see no reason why PETA would be against artificial meat.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Oh man, this is awesome. Since I train my strength, I would welcome such a nutritious source of protein. This would not, however, replace chicken or beef in my diet. Kobe beef, eh? *sharpens a knife*

Zip

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
Oh man, this is awesome. Since I train my strength, I would welcome such a nutritious source of protein.

Oh man. I misread "welcome" as "become".

I wasn't sure whether you were offering to be a sacrificial...well...Zipdot
, or something else entirely!

Anyway (now I've readjusted my specs and had more coffee)....why does the idea of this leave me with a rather odd "ew" feeling?

I'm a realist. I know that my store-bought chicken (I simply can't afford organic food at the moment. Neither can the food shelf) is chemically-treated, cruelly-obtained foodstuff. I know that my vegetables are laden with pesticides and the only vaguely "good" thing I eat is tofu. And even that's probably from chemically "enhanced" soy beans. I don't like this, but the alternative isn't really doable. Starvation doth not a happy Tinkle maketh.

But for some very strange reason, this idea just leaves me cold.

Maybe I'm seeing too much into the "cloning" thing.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So long as it is cheaper than meat but still has all the benifits and tastyness of meat. Shure why not. I would presume that you could grow enourmous cuts of meat this way. Just imagine a 2 foot chicken leg or 1000 ounce tenderloin.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Now I think about it, a 2-foot long chicken leg might actually be enough to turn me vegan

Because my little brain couldn't cope with thinking "well..if that's it's leg...wtf size was it's head?!?!?!"

(yes, I know, it wouldn't need or have a head. YOU tell that to my culture-washed brain
)

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
please..... people complain about pesticides and herbicides being used on crops but they want to eat meat BUILT in a lab?

sounds healthy.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I agree with sardion2000 about the KFC thing. I absolutley refuse to eat there now after I heard about how the kill the chickens. Its very inhumane and cruel. I am definitely not a vegetarian by anymeans. I love eating meat; but I am a little weirded out by eating meat grown in a lab. Perhaps if I had some and it tasted good or possibly better then I would be all for it. Still it would be different.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think all PETA members should be made out of artficial meat...

Mmmmm, Kobe beef, had some last night with a spectacular Cabernet (2001 David Arthur Elevation 1147)... Beer and milk baths are all that...

Carnivore Monkeys, not just beer and brats anymore…

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I won't eat at a KFC either, but not because of the way they get their product, because of the way they run their store. I've been from coast to coast and city to city and one thing you will find at every KFC, regardless of where it is, is that the store is nasty. I'm serious, just walk in and look at the counters, look at the floor and even look at the walls. KFC is by far the filthiest restaurants in all the USA. I've yet to visit one that was clean.

I suppose clean ones do exist out there, i've yet to come across one though. Since I no longer eat there i doubt i'll ever come across one either.

Wupy

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The process they describe is similiar to the process of growing epidermis used for sever burn victims.
That process involves dissolving the foreskin of circumcised children, one slice of dink tissue is used to grow something like 100 meters of epidermis. They may not use this process anymore as wholly artificial epidermis has no bio-rejection from the recipient.

I would be happy to eat lab-chicken, knowing that 100 other chickens were not sneezing
and crapping on the head of the chicken I'm eating for its short life time.

The nutrients required to make this lab-meat can be taken from the
ultra nutritional hemp seed.

But really we need to see what happens to the human digestive tract with this lab meat,
and also we need to know side effects, like we get from artificial fat and sugar.

I'm not too concerned about cruelty to herd animals, not as much as I am
concerned about the 50 Million pounds of pig poop that goes into our water supply,
every single day. If this process makes that pollution neglible, and doesn't
add new and more harmful pollution that lets do it ASAP.

Of course we will need to keep cows around for growing magic mushrooms!

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The Colonel makes some mean fried chicken. I don't care how they kill em, those 7 herbs and spices are addicting. I think one of the spices is crack.

BTW life feeds on death in one way or the other. In order for life to continue something has to die in the process.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Where are we gonna put all the farmers who lose their farms when they no longer have any source of income? Besides that I'll eat it if it tastes just like another steak or chicken wing. It will not on the otherhand keep me from hunting and eating that game.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Of course we will need to keep cows around for growing magic mushrooms!

Ya know what, that comment just made me think of something!!!

Do you think it's possible to get "Mad Mushrooms" from a "Mad Cow" poo pattie???

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
Where are we gonna put all the farmers who lose their farms when they no longer have any source of income?

Ah, the farmers. They will get biology degrees and become better persons. And they will join the rest of the economy, which means: no more whining, no more special treatment. I hope that one day we can outlaw the current methods of meat production.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Ah, the farmers. They will get biology degrees and become better persons. And they will join the rest of the economy, which means: no more whining, no more special treatment. I hope that one day we can outlaw the current methods of meat production.

I hate to state the screamingly obvious, but a biology degree doth not a better person guarantee.

There's a HUGE grey area - one involving many, many steps - between "current brutal methods" and "other methods" of meat production; to ignore this is not denying, but encouraging ignorance.

It's not as black and white as you appear to be implying here. Not to mention...who are we to force a perhaps unwanted "education" on a person who is a seventh generation animal farmer? Where do we get that right?

What's next? Do we ban all leather production, too? What exactly are we going to do with the skyrocketing unemployment rates after we've done away with all animal produce jobs?

Give 'em all free biology degrees?

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join