It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X3: Your official information on X-men 3 starts here!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
We watched it first showing here, so we got to see it at 1545 CET (that's +6 from EST) yesterday.

I loved it. I really, really loved it. After all the poo and boo about it being a weaker film than the others, how the direction was poor, how there was no emotion - it was all garbage.

Fantastic film!

* Aside from my wife and I, there were only 3 others that knew to stay after the credits - and I'm really glad that we did!

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Horribly, horribly disappointing film. Then again, I held it to the same standards as the other ones, so maybe that was my problem. No, actually I think it was the fact that Brett Ratner ended up directing up.... :shk:

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The previews were well edited at least!

On reflection:

Cyclops.. they turned him into a flake [for obvious reasons].. "He's a different man now." I'm guessing it was a contract thing [allowing for more Halle time].

The part where the bad guys are ordered to guared the house and not let Wolverine and Storm in.. yet the bad guy picks him up and throws him through the front window. That made alot of sense..

Where X defends his behaviour to Wolverine and sounds like a bumbling idiot.. again.. probably to make him morally expendable.
Where X has a go at wolverine for waking up Phoenix.. even though she woke herself up. EDIT. The man is suppose to be a powerful psychic. ..he knew she was alive a thousand miles away but didn't know how she woke up?

The really bad al-cheapo cost cutting rubber bits stuck to Mistiques face, and the scene which had her morphing for absolutely no reason. Magnitos uncharacteristic [in the context of the other films] betrayal, he would have at least covered her up.

The ice-man stand off at the end.. very original.. not reminisent of Star Wars at all.

Halle Berry's failed acting attempt to create 'tension' and chemistry between storm and Wolverine [contract thing- they should not have caved to her demands].

The pre-battle near group hug moment.
[at least they didn't hi-5]

The flying guy who had no real impact on the plot yet had an opening scene dedicated to creating his charactor.

The bad editing.. there seemed to be not only scenes missing but scenes cut in half. Other scenes seemed rushed while others seemed detailed. There wasn't enough continuity to allow the viewer to get drawn in.

I'm sure I'll buy the dvd though. :shk:

[edit on 27-5-2006 by riley]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I liked it

I could pick things out and rip them up, but over all I liked the movie so I won’t beat it down (at least not yet.)
One thing I’ll say is that there were way too many characters to deal with and screen time was too short with “main” characters. But I knew it was going to be like that.

I thought Beast was a good. His few second of fighting was perfect “Beast fighting” it could have been a page right out of the comic.
Storm was the best out of the three movies. But I guess it wasn’t enough because Wolverine is shouting orders in battle instead of Storm

I do think fans will have a lot of different opinions on this movie. It does greatly stray away from the comics. IMO that is a good thing.
I stayed past the credits too

[Edit - I'll be getting into the movie a bit more on my blog too.]

[edit on 27/5/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Umbrax, you locked a topic that I was replying in earlier - I hope that you won't mind if I put those comments in here now, considering the time I took to write them:

Sounds like we saw two different films.

Originally posted by riley
I didn't want to put spoilers in the other thread.. but I have to get this out.

On reflection:

Cyclops.. they turned him into a flake [for obvious reasons].. "He's a different man now." I'm guessing it was a contract thing [allowing for more Halle time].

Scott's been a spoiled little whiner since the very first film. Marsden wasn't happy (referenced on tons of interviews) with his character or playing in the film, so Rattner obviously cut him (and everyone else) a break. Cyclops was far from the most focal or popular character.

The part where the bad guys are ordered to guared the house and not let Wolverine and Storm in.. yet the bad guy picks him up and throws him through the front window. :bash: That made alot of sense..

That was definately a Juggernaut action. Marko isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, nor was he ever portrayed as such in the film. It made perfect sense...

Where X defends his behaviour to Wolverine and sounds like a bumbling idiot.. again.. probably to make him morally expendable.
Where X has a go at wolverine for waking up Phoenix.. even though she woke herself up.

The entire point of that, plus several other key scenes with Professor X was so that we could learn that he is not the perfect saint, but a man who takes questionable steps if needed, to meet his beliefs. That helped to blur the line between he and Magneto. This was the basis of the "Take a stand" campaign...

He didn't "have a go" at Logan... he wasn't there to see that Wolverine was not responsible for Jean going bonkers and acted on instinct.

The really bad al-cheapo cost cutting rubber bits stuck to Mistiques face, and the scence which had her morphing for absolutely no reason. Magnetos uncharactoristic [in the context of the other films] betrayal, he would have at least covered her up.

I didn't have any problems with the special effects or make uo, and I really don't think that your critique of her facial appearance has merit. The scenes where she was morphing were done to show 1. The range of her abilities and 2. To play head games with the security personnel.

The ice-man stand off at the end.. very original.. not reminisent of Star Wars at all.

I agree. It was original and was in no way reminiscent of anything in Star Wars other than the "good vs evil"

Halle Berry's failed acting attempt to create 'tension' and chemistry between storm and Wolverine [contract thing- they should not have caved to her demands].

I'm not sure where or how you have gained access to these contracts that you keep quoting, but I would like to know.

The pre-battle near group hug moment.
[at least they didn't hi-5]

The flying guy who had no real impact on the plot yet had an opening scene dedicated to creating his charactor.

His name is Warren Kenneth Worthington III, codename: Angel. He's not "the flying guy". I'm thinking that his impact on the plot was that his father was the developer of the "cure" that was the focal point for the entire feature.

The bad editing.. there seemed to be not only scenes missing but scenes cut in half. Other scenes seemed rushed while others seemed detailed. There wasn't enough continuity to allow the viewer to get drawn in. [edit on 27-5-2006 by riley]

Ya lost me again there - without any references or examples I can't comment.

I was in no way disappointed. You, for example, complain that there was less character development than in 1 and 2. That´s right, but you should not see X3 as a single film. You should see it as part of a trilogy.

Character development was done in 1 and 2 (to a certain extent), so part 3 could be “assigned” to be the big finale of the battle, which it indeed was. Sure, there are new faces, which would give an interesting story, but where would this have lead to? Tell the indepth story of Colossus, of Shadowcat, of the Morlocks, of Multiple Man, the family bonds between Juggernaut and Prof. X, the circumstances how Xavier lost the use of his legs, etc… there wouldn´t be any time left to bring up a story.

If I may, there have been plenty of movies out there that I saw and that I thought sucked (though in reviewing them I do try to employ slightly more well-read adjectives). It's really best to have a level of familiarity with the subject matter. Grammar, spelling, referencing facts, and proper use of character names go a long way of helping write a more readable review.

I say this not because I loved this film and you didn't - but as a writer. When I've had comics reviewed by folks who didn't have a firm grasp of what they were reviewing, I felt cheated

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bripe Klmun
Scott's been a spoiled little whiner since the very first film. Marsden wasn't happy (referenced on tons of interviews) with his character or playing in the film, so Rattner obviously cut him (and everyone else) a break. Cyclops was far from the most focal or popular character.

I completely agree with you there. Cyclops was hardly even in X2 he was captured and “brainwashed.” I was shocked as to what happened with him in the third movie though.

Magnetos uncharactoristic [in the context of the other films] betrayal, he would have at least covered her up.

I thought he was going to kill her to "put her out of her misery."

To Magneto humans are nothing. The only feeling he has for them is hate...he almost killed them all in X2.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bripe Klmun
If I may, there have been plenty of movies out there that I saw and that I thought sucked (though in reviewing them I do try to employ slightly more well-read adjectives). It's really best to have a level of familiarity with the subject matter.

I've seen 1 and 2. It's a movie.. it does not require having read every single comic.

Grammar, spelling, referencing facts, and proper use of character names go a long way of helping write a more readable review.

Picking on typos?
Subtle.. you usually are only suppose to do that after you've started losing an argument. The film irritated me.. I was giving my opinion on it.. I do not need to be an X-MEN expert to do so. It was badly directed and the flow was extremily erratic. Mistique's make up in the last one was paint and gel based pieces. This one was basically a rubber mask. I was not publishing a review for a large newspaper.. this is a forum. It is does not require three hours work, research or perfect grammar.

I say this not because I loved this film and you didn't - but as a writer. When I've had comics reviewed by folks who didn't have a firm grasp of what they were reviewing, I felt cheated

And I say this.. not because you disagree with me.. but as someone who doesn't appreciate blatent personal insults and snide put downs. We both know I had some very valid points but for some reason you had to shoot ALL of them down.. why? Because for some unknown reason you took it personally.. like I am now.
I'm sorry I don't have your 'firm grasp' [..yep] on this 'comic'.. but the fact is I didn't see it as a comic but as a movie so judged it accordingly.. besides which your grasp on it is not anymore valid than anyone else's. Now.. as for you being a writer.. unless you actually wrote this movie yourself you have absolutely no reason to feel cheated by my review [that and I have a problem more with it's director than it's writer].
Film is an completely different medium than comics. Understand?

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I completely agree with you there. Cyclops was hardly even in X2 he was captured and “brainwashed.” I was shocked as to what happened with him in the third movie though.

Did the scene set this up properly? Wolverine guessed. The last we saw of him he was kissing his girlfriend and then she was found unconcious. She was fine before hand.. perhaps they left the battle out to make the one with the proffessor more shocking.

I thought he was going to kill her to "put her out of her misery."

To Magneto humans are nothing. The only feeling he has for them is hate...he almost killed them all in X2.

True but she was still his main sidekick [who had just saved his 'life'].. the scene seemed inadequate.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Good Movie marred by Sloppy Editing, Bad Directing, and Medeocre Script. When X4 comes out(I firmly believe there will be an X4 before this decade is over), how much you wanna be that A. Magneto regains his powers. B. Jean gets resurrected...again and C. Brett Ratner will NOT be directing.

It's good to see Moira Mctaggert though as that story line may be the next trilogy.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I thought it was awesome having Moira Mctaggert

I don't think they will have a X4 though, just because of the cost of the cast.
I'm really loooking forward to a Wolverine movie

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Meh, just get some no-names for the next film. With that ending, you know that they will be looking very hard at the Box Office numbers, which will be good. If it does as Good as X2 then they'll do it. They gonna milk 'er dry, which could be a bad thing as well...

One thing that extremely pissed me off about this movie is that the Sentinals didn't speak......

With Bolivar Trask now fully introduced and the first Sentinal having been seen.... just imagine what X4 could be.... :drool: I'll be very pissed if they DONT do it...

As for additional cost cutting, just get rid of Storm.... (The Sentinals will be even more Menacing without some of her Tricks
)

Oh another thing that pissed me off(i've said it before and I"ll say it again). Rogue... :shk:

[edit on 27-5-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
It's good to see Moira Mctaggert though as that story line may be the next trilogy.

Alright.. so maybe there are reasons to refer to the comics. I thought he just happened to know the name of the nurse and said it to startle her..

BTW. I have to agree with the Rogue issue. Pretty piss poor effort on that storyline.. I really liked that charactor.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Alright.. so maybe there are reasons to refer to the comics. I thought he just happened to know the name of the nurse and said it to startle her..

Moira wasn't just at the end of the movie, she was at the funeral and was introduced earlier in the film.

In the comic she had romantic relations with the professor. Moira was the world's leading authorities on genetic mutationone and one of the few humans that were aiding the X-Men.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Moira wasn't just at the end of the movie, she was at the funeral and was introduced earlier in the film.

I remember the 'ethical leacture' about the coma patient. Wasn't that the same nurse [or doctor]? Unfortuantly I don't remember her part in the funeral scene. It's annoying because [obviously] I didn't like the movie but it had half decent visuals in it which I wouldn't mind seeing again. Cinemas don't have fast forward.

In aus the actual picture quality was alot paler than the previous movies.. was this just on the one I saw or did other people notice this?

In the comic she had romantic relations with the professor. Moira was the world's leading authorities on genetic mutationone and one of the few humans that were aiding the X-Men.

So he knew he was going to die.. and thats why the ethics speech was made to the kids and she had his new body waiting for him? Thats sweet.

Awww.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Here is what I would do for X4. I would first split it up into two parts, one Featuring Moira, Xavier. The other Featuring the rest of the gang(lead by Gambit and Beast).

The First plot will go something like this, a mysterious letter written in X's handwriting appears on Storms desk, who is so shocked she grads Wolvie and heads to Scotland ASAP. On their way to scotland, the plane gets intercepted by an unknown entity and the only survivor is Wolvie, so no more storm after the first 10 minutes of the movie so you don't have to pay Halle that much dough. The rest of the plot will center around X and Moira looking for wolvie and they meet up with him and find out to their shock that he's gone feral again and they have to horribly mutilate him even beyond the ability of his own mutation to heal without changes. Then when he's fully healed(it will be like Dr Who regeneration) and Jackman will have fulfilled his purpose and a new and (hopefully) better Wolvie will get some screen time. Fear the Feral Beast mwahahaahahah!!!

The Second Plot will center around Beast who is now looking after the school in Storms "Absence," and then all of a sudden Sentinals start attack and to everyones shock, Magneto comes to save the day with rogue in all her flying superstrong glory.

The movie should end in a cliffhanger leading into a X5 where the plot will be mostly about trying to take down Genotian Slavery and stuff and will Culminate in X6 where they face off against that Self Aware Sentinal who just so happens to be working for none other then Apocolypse leading into the Age of Apoc, Trilogy.

See you can keep these movies going on forever!

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
BEST MOVIE EVER

Definatly lived up to and surpassed the first two films. You guys just went in to the movie thinking it was gonna be bad.

My only problems with the movie is that the angel parts were irrelevant
and the fact that Wolverines hair didnt burn at all, but who wants to see a bald wolverine?

I give the movie 5 stars out of 5

No there can and there will be an Xmen 4. We need to see Gambit and mor Nightcrawler theyre so cool

[edit on 27-5-2006 by Vegemite]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Oh, one other thing...

WHen I was waiting through the credits, only about a third of the theatre left. The added extra special scene was neat and could pump up the sales. The theatre was 9/10th full which is pretty good on a Saturday at Noon.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
riley, I guess that we're going to have to agree to disagree here, but a word to the wise - you may wish to develop thicker skin if you plan to make reviews. You acted as though I was attacking you as a person, when I was doing nothing more than countering your comments. That's sorta what happens when you review something in a public forum...

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Hi Bripe Klmun!
I just wasn't going to pretend that your very veiled personal digs weren't personal or that that your critisisms were constructive or even relevent.. it seems other people noticed the same things I did so I guess they didn't have an adequate 'grasp' on it either.

Again.. movie/comic: two different things.
Thankyou for your concerns about my feelings though, maybe I do need a thicker skin but perhaps you could use better judgement in how you respond to people in future.

--------------

Originally posted by Vegemite
My only problems with the movie is that the angel parts were irrelevant
and the fact that Wolverines hair didnt burn at all, but who wants to see a bald wolverine?

I didn't notice that before.. [glad I didn't- I liked that scene. Showing the ribs was very effective]. Reminds me of 'Queen of the damned' where a Vampire's heart is ripped out.. the scene looks sensational [opposed to the rest of the movie] but the thing is the heart is kind of.. beating.
.. or the 'book burning' scene of 'The day after tomorow'. I wish directors that show off with details wouldn't overlook more obvious ones.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by riley]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

May 28 (Bloomberg) -- ``X-Men: The Last Stand'' had the fourth-largest weekend opening in box-office history with an estimated $107 million in ticket sales in the first three days of the Memorial Day holiday.

The News Corp. film had $45.5 million in ticket sales on Friday, making it the second-largest one-day gross in history, trailing only ``Star Wars: Episode III,'' according to Exhibitor Relations Co. ``Episode III'' took in $50 million when it opened May 19, 2005.

If things keep going this way, then we'll probably be hearing an announcment about a sequel soon.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join