It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would these planes fly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
These planes come from a computer game, but I am considering making a working RC model of one of them (probably which ever one turns out to be the easiest to make work)
The game, in case you're wondering, is Crimson Skies.

First up is the 'Fairchild F611 Brigand'

As you can see it has no tail plane, but does have a small stabilising surface at the rear, just fore of the turret, and even smaller stabilising bits upright in the wings.

Next, the 'Hughes P21-J Devastator'

Bi-plane, pusher, only verticle control surfaces are below the wings.

Lastly he 'Hughes Aviation Bloodhawk'

This one I'm pretty certain WILL fly tbh as it bears a remarkable resemblance to the Henschel P.75, an experimental plane dropped by the germans.
(Other planes from the game can be seen here:
eythau.free.fr...
and here:
crimsonskiesuniverse.com... )

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
As an RC model, yes I think they would fly. But thats only because of this old thread I started,

The Latest Fighter-Cutter Aircraft

Seriously, watch it and your day will be that bit better!!

And one completely irrelevant thing (sorry mods!) Do you have Crimson Skies on Xbox Live?

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Thanks

No, I have it on the PC (so it's the original, not High Road to Revenge)

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nocturne
Thanks

No, I have it on the PC (so it's the original, not High Road to Revenge)

Fair enough, its a great game whatever you play it on. Did you like the vid on that link?

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yeah that was a great link, reminded me of a vid I saw of a flying-hydro that someone made from foam.
www.putfile.com...

Those 3D flyers are almost always foam in construction and can just about anything.
I've seen vids of em hanging on the prop, climbing a wall, doin all kindsa wierd stuff.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
The only one I feel would actually work (and it happens to be my favourite of all the game's plane designs) is the Hughes P21-J Devastator.

Oh how I have longed for aircraft designs like this to make a comeback, a little more class and originallity to plane designs (plus I like things that look old but arent).

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
They do look class dont they? Probably the reason I bought the game (and got to third in the world I might add!)

So much better than these boring grey planes you see at the moment.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
they're pure class, and the reason I still play the game now.
And the reason I'd like to fly an RC one ... no other bugger will have one.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nocturne
they're pure class, and the reason I still play the game now.
And the reason I'd like to fly an RC one ... no other bugger will have one.

Id love to see the finished product if you ever get around to making one. Good luck.

jra

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That's a really fun game. Used to play that with friends on the PC a lot a few years ago, been a while though. If i'm not mistaken, I think the designers of the game had looked at some concepts done by the Germans in WW2 and used some of there more farout ideas and designs, but again these were only concepts that never left the drawing board.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra
I think the designers of the game had looked at some concepts done by the Germans in WW2 and used some of there more farout ideas and designs, but again these were only concepts that never left the drawing board.

Things usually don't leave the drawing board for two reasons : Budget and Budget.

If you could get these planes recreated for RC use - I would PAY you to make me one and ship it all the way to good old Aussie land.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well, I've never built an RC plane before so it may take a few failures to get it right.

I quite fancy flying a Brigand or a Dev around tho ...

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Interesting. I have not seen airplanes of anything close those designs before now.

Well, it looks to me like they are flying, but other than the one with two counter-rotating props, I'm not sure as there isn't a tail rudder.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Luft 46

Here's a good site that shows the experimental designs the luftwaffe were working on at the end of WWII, look around and you will clearly see the resemblance to the planes in Crimson Skies.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Interesting. I have not seen airplanes of anything close those designs before now.

Well, it looks to me like they are flying, but other than the one with two counter-rotating props, I'm not sure as there isn't a tail rudder.

Dallas

The pics are just CG pics, so not really a representation of whether they actually fly or not

The one with the contra-rotational props has skegs on the lower wing which mount twin rudders.
Whether there's enough surface area for them to be useful is debatable tho.
However I've found a group on an RC forum that seem keen on the idea, so it's possible this project is still a go-er

new topics

top topics

join