It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vigilantes - (aka: caped crusaders, superheroes, call them what you will)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Mods: move it where you like but its about a "secret society" so to speak of people)

Ok i want to put the question out there. Is anyone here, or does anyone know of someone who: is a vigilante; goes out at night and aprehends criminals; has a secret identity; etc?

I hold the greatest respect to anyone whom this may concern, and have no wish whatsoever, if you wish to discuss it, for you to jeparodise the work that you are doing.

I am conducting research in this field as i myself witnessed, as i was walking home at about 11:30, a large man with a rucksack over his shoulder being chased (and im not kidding) by another individual running full pelt in a ninja style suit and a crossbow of some sort!!!! would this be vigilante work.....or is this just some peoples idea of nighttime fun???
im not sure as not 5 minutes later 2 police cars with sirens blazing shot past me. very odd.........

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
There is a guy in Boston that went around with a cape and tights filling parking meters that were going to expire, he also cut "boots" off cars.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
LOL yea i know about that one and similar ones.......they are just silly.......i was wondering if anyone knew of any serious vigilantes coz am interested...

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
back when i was in High school i knew of a few folks that would destroy pot "fields" plantings when the cops just did not bother to respond to "tips"

Personally, i wish there were a few more of the Super 'V's' but the whole topic is very dangerous in respect to misuse of power or the V getting the wrong person. i guess if caught red handed with something like Armed robbery what difference would it be from one of the victims/ customer shooting the culprit?

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A thought just came to mind. I remember hearing that there is really two types of super-villain.

Theres the soldier villain.....who fights with his body (generic bad guys in comics, or eg: Bane (Batman). The analagy instantly and obviously goes out in real life to every armed robbery, bank heist etc.

Then theres the real menace, the villain that fights you with his mind. He (she) can control all other villains, using superior knowledge and skill to defeat good instead of brute force. This would go toward the cold blooded serial killers, e.g: Jack the Ripper, or even those doctors we're always hearing about that slaughter their patients, silently, cunningly......This type of villian is of course the most insane.

i guess if caught red handed with something like Armed robbery what difference would it be from one of the victims/ customer shooting the culprit?

You are right on that one. In a perfect (comic book oriented) world we could have spandex/kevlar wearing average joes with money to burn jumping around rooftops, saving the day, but in reality, people can and would die, of course theres no collateral like in reality, good always triumps over evil. This is completely not the case in reality.

In reality there is an extremely fine line between right and wrong. things are simpler in comics. we cant just have every tom, dick and harry running around "fighting" crime. It would be far worse than what crime does now!

But getting back to the point, i know for a fact there are certain people who "take the law into theirown hands". (the internet is extremely scarce on any details about vigilantes). I suppose if you had the skills, the tools and the will (and i might add a knack for quick escapes) then ok you could become a "superhero". But not everyone.....

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
brings to mind that bobunty hunter guy with a tv series or occasionally on tv.

He kind of skates the law in a big way- but the difference is he is protected by law. Lesson learned = get a BH license whomp all the bad guys you want. gadgets optional

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not a Bad idea. But surely not as cool. No secret ID. No mystery.......sigh everyone knows you and shoots you on the spot. T'dbe much better to be unknown and wear a mask etc.

Ive also beem putting together a list of stuff that would be essential for a vigilante (non lethal - aka non gun)

Stuff

www.defensedevices.com
www.safetygearhq.com
www.amazing1.com
elads.biz/dark.html

x5 – Kubotan £15
x2 – 200,000V Taser £30
x2 – Rear View Glasses £10
x1 – Electronic Dog Repellant £9
x4 – 30F beam micro-light £20
x2 – “Cybernetic Ear” £24
x1 – “Promax Tactical” Suit £680
x2 – Retractable Baton £32
x1 – Nylon Utility Belt £19
x1 – (pair) “Fist of Shadow” £98
x20 – Smoke Bomb

also to convert currency www.xe.com...

[edit on 9-7-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Shadow88, In what capacity would a "Vigilante" equipped with the above items perform?

I am interested in where in society there would be a need for actions against criminals beyond that which is also catered for by our already under appreciated law enforcement persons and at what level are you talking about?

Understand that I do not support this activity just interested to see in what situation one would be driven to relying on one self.

The only one I can see is perhaps an urban decay setting in which anarachy is erupting. Recent events.

I would also be concerned that alot of the items detailed could be used for darker purposes. Anyone else?

Perhaps I am reading to much into this thread, interesting premise though.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Grimholt]

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Grimholt]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
O yea dont get me wrong, i dont condone those who take the law into thereown hands, which is classed as "vigilante work".

Initially i was just interested if anyone was known to be mimicking the role of a superhero.

It seems there isnt any well known or known vigilantes in the sense i mean.

Of course all the items can be used for darker means, but of course thats not really the kind of person i had in mind. Obviously i meant these all only to be used for defense, disabling, and noble purposes, otherwise it would be more than the police do,.or than bounty hunters do, and thus against the law.

Youre not reading into it too much, theyre valid points, this, profession could easily be abused, instead of say, in classic cimic book style.....taking out a whole drug gang with only your utility belt.
lol

You have to remember as well that real life heroes (aka bounty hunters, police, firefighters etc) dont have that infinite luck. Even with all the gear, all the defense, you can still die, evil can overcome good.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The closest we had in Australia that I can think of was a guy dressing up as Spiderman in the 90s who became notorious for hitting the high rises on the Gold Coast climbing from one floor to the next stealing peoples jewelery etc.

He was eventually caught. Did not use his powers for niceness

He was active for quite a while though.

I was just discussing this with a mate and he informs me that their are window cleaners now working on the gold coast who dress up us spiderman.

so they are basically utilizing there super powers for the custodial good of mankind......there is hope for the planet after all

[edit on 3-10-2005 by Grimholt]

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
LOL well thats funny.....

But i guess it will forever remain in the realms of fantasy im afraid.....

ah well....

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I feel like this guy just read Watchmen.

new topics

top topics

join