It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloned cats! Get 'em while there hot!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
A recently cloned cat sold for $50,000. The cat called "little Nicky" is cloned from the owner previous cat "Nicky" who died last year. The company that created Little Nicky, Sausalito-based Genetic Savings and Clone, said it hopes by May to have produced the world's first cloned dog. The company also want to clone at least 50 cats by the end of the year. I think they should just let human clones go ahead. I mean the studies would save lives. We'd be like the Asgard in stargate SG-1.

Source:
Cloned cat generates ethics debate

[edit on 9/7/05 by Atomix]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Some people just cant let go...

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Eh, they probly just swithed it with some other simmiler bread cat.
And stated "Hey! We can pretend to bring cats back and then switch them around and say we cloned em! I wonder what that means, but it sounds like Bush."

Just messing.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Once they start cloning humans they hav'lle no need for spies anymore. They can just get a sample of their mark's blood, kill the mark and then replace him... Still thousands of cats are put down because they have no homes and these people are just increasing the probem. I agree with the cloning but not with creating more cats to be put down...

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This was posted a while ago, but oh well.

The cat she payed for only looks like her dead kittty, it wont have the same personality, imagine it got ran over- expensive roadkill.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
I agree with the cloning but not with creating more cats to be put down...

Do you really think someone is going to pay $50K for a cat and dump it in a shelter? I can see that these people would be doing better to go get a cat from a shelter, since they're not getting the same cat anyway, but they're not "creating more cats to be put down".

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
No I mean not evreryone is going to buy a cat for 50K when they can buy it for $300. This company wants to clone 50. If 50 aren't sold they'll probably be put down.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
i think you should just remember youre pet for what they are and let go. science is all getting to weird, and there is alot to what sciencetists call the yuck factor.
remember the way people react to abortions, imagine how people will react to clones

[edit on 9-7-2005 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

No I mean not evreryone is going to buy a cat for 50K when they can buy it for $300. This company wants to clone 50. If 50 aren't sold they'll probably be put down.

No, I think you'll find they're talking about 50 clients waiting to have 'their' cats cloned. Who wants a clone of someone else's moggy?

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Once they start cloning humans they hav'lle no need for spies anymore. They can just get a sample of their mark's blood, kill the mark and then replace him...

The clone would still have to be born and then raised to adulthood.

People are not just genes, they are the sum of their life's experiences. Different experiences equal different people, even those with the same genetic pattern.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Once they start cloning humans they hav'lle no need for spies anymore. They can just get a sample of their mark's blood, kill the mark and then replace him... Still thousands of cats are put down because they have no homes and these people are just increasing the probem. I agree with the cloning but not with creating more cats to be put down...

cloning isnt actually duplicating the memories and growth of the person, its starting a new life cycle using some of the dna from the "original" so a clone is gonna be a baby and will have to learn just like the original did, no guarantee as to personality, etc

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I saw them at Wired NextFest in Chicago. They had the original there, as well as the clone. It was REALLY freaky - the clone looked exactly like the original. Couldn't tell the difference.

Couldn't find my pics, but here's some others:

Tahini, the original

Baba Ganoush, the clone

[edit on 7/10/2005 by chiS2000]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Cloning does offer a chance to save rare or extinct species... and if they're funding the work from people who want a "brother-clone" or "sister-clone" of a loved pet, I say go for it.

The two cats shown are Bengals; a fairly rare breed. I own a cat that's a reasonably expensive and unusual breed (Birman... lovely cats.) But what if they were showing living Hawai'ian birds -- birds that were extinct just a few years ago?

Cloning might be a far better choice than straight genetic engineering. Someone could clone a cow (for instance) that was born centuries ago; an animal that had resistance to some of today's diseases. An animal free from some genetic problems of an inbred group of animals.

Another animal that it might save are the cheetahs, which are so genetically identical that it's hard to tell one cheetah from another.

So I think that if folks want to clone pets, let them do so... let's work out the problems on our common domestic animals and see what we can do to UNdo some of the environmental and species damage that we've already done.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I agree with you byrd,

Personally, id like to see all those frozen bodies we keep finding in the artics be used for cloning material, whooly mammoths !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
We should learn from the movies if we bring back prehistoric things bad things will happen for instance jurassic park

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I have noticed alot of people have had arguments against cloning etc... for many years, yet until the first actual human clone is produced, we dont really know the full effect of cloning.

However if we were able to find a way to transfer the conscience into one of these clones, we would effectively have a way of immortality.

I guess this is always going to be a contraversal technology in the eyes of socity

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by racos
I have noticed alot of people have had arguments against cloning etc... for many years, yet until the first actual human clone is produced, we dont really know the full effect of cloning.

However if we were able to find a way to transfer the conscience into one of these clones, we would effectively have a way of immortality.

I guess this is always going to be a contraversal technology in the eyes of socity

thats the ticket

now if we can just grow bodies without brains =p

actually well probably be using methods to regenerate our own bodies rather than growing replacement ones, at least for now, who knows what kind of social and legal structures will exist in 100 years from now.

Anything is possible.

top topics

join