It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI Report 2005--China

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
Oct

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There was progress towards reform in some areas, but this failed to have a significant impact on serious and widespread human rights violations perpetrated across the country. Tens of thousands of people continued to be detained or imprisoned in violation of their fundamental human rights and were at high risk of torture or ill-treatment. Thousands of people were sentenced to death or executed, many after unfair trials. Public protests increased against forcible evictions and land requisition without adequate compensation. China continued to use the global “war on terrorism” to justify its crackdown on the Uighur community in Xinjiang. Freedom of expression and religion continued to be severely restricted in Tibet and other Tibetan areas of China.

web.amnesty.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
While the West continues to turn a blind eye to human rights issues in China, it doesn't look like there will ever be any serious consequences.

It keeps happening. And it keeps being "brushed aside", ignored or otherwise overlooked. Largely for the mutual trade benefits enjoyed by China and it's Western trade partners. A vocal "smack on the wrist" by Bush isn't going to do much, as both sides in this are comfortable in the knowledge that neither can really afford to close off trade ties.

Money talks; until we stop valuing trade agreements higher than human lives, the atrocities will continue.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
No, what's revealing is that none of these human right liberal groups seem to want to push or make it big headlines news like the tragedy that it is, they make some report and stop caring about it (have you seen this on the new? Me neither). But god forbid akhmen does not get to talk to his lawyer or get his hot beans on time it would be a global catastrophe according to these same groups right?

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Erm...I actually saw this mentioned on BBC World News, and - gasp - of all places, on CNN; but that's besides the point

You know as well as we all do, that not every piece of "news" is equally newsworthy; It's hardly appropriate to blame this on the originating organisation.

How about we put some blame on our terribly biased news sources? They're the ones, after all, who get to decide what's fit for us to hear about.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If the people making the report would make a big deal out of it, it would get reported. Besides your not telling me Akhmed not getting his hot beans on time is more important than what happen and what is happening in china and all around the world.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Nobody is making a judgement about who is or isn't "more important" - why does that even enter your equation?

I dunno. Many of us have the 'feedback' letters from local politicians and groups, along with campaign representatives in Washington, after we've tried to "make a fuss" about certain issues; sometimes it makes the news, more often than not, it doesn't.

Flippantly passing it off as a case of "Akhmet not getting his hot beans on time" just sounds like playground banter. This isn't a playground...although it's true there are some bigger bullies than others amongst certain nations, yes?

Again though - this is regularly mentioned on news services. Perhaps not Fox or CBS in the US; but there are just a few more sources out there.

Time to start lookin'?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

You know as well as we all do, that not every piece of "news" is equally newsworthy;

Well it was this statement that got me thinking about what reports get news time and what don't. Besides I'm not going to look for some unknown station on cable carrying the story, it not if I or you know the story or not its if the large general population is aware of it.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Afaik, the BBC isn't some unknown station

But perhaps more pointedly - if we don't look for news, how are we expected to find the truth in any situation?

You know?

Oct

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

And it keeps being "brushed aside", ignored or otherwise overlooked. Largely for the mutual trade benefits enjoyed by China and it's Western trade partners.
Money talks; until we stop valuing trade agreements higher than human lives, the atrocities will continue.

I think you have a deep insight.

Oct

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Well it was this statement that got me thinking about what reports get news time and what don't. Besides I'm not going to look for some unknown station on cable carrying the story, it not if I or you know the story or not its if the large general population is aware of it.

Some famous media have benefit involvement in China, therefore they intentionly ignore a lot of news to avoiding offence CCP.

Therefore, Using money, CCP has successfully changed the social value of some western democrocy countries. It is the pity of the world.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
agree with many comments made here...............The hyporcrisy of it all is enough to make one sick........

China is an abusive manipulating communist government.

But corporate America and the West want the increased profits through outsourcing production through the slave labor market they offer...........Then corporations are licking their chops with a new emerging market to sell to..........

We throw economic sanctions on countries that have abusive governments and restrict human rights where we don't need their labor or markets.....

.........but when it comes to China we turn a blind eye to the outright torture going on there so we can boost profits and stock shares.

This should be such a huge issue and a story of significance to the citizens of the US through media coverage but it is not.................I have to wonder how tied into the money machine in benefits are commercial media outlets that they barely take notice of the situation as well.

Seems like if everyone in the US benefits from the profits they aren't interested in caring how they get them...........

And the worst is that China is taking their exported profits and throwing the cash straight into the military.........there are enough reports and research about what China wants to do with that too.......

Is our greed to increase profit margins in corporate America and the powers they control through campaign funding of government officials that corrupt that we compromise our national security on top of allowing all this abuse to continue?

Look.........I have benefited from the free enterprise system in America and as a result have a good quality of life experience...................but a materialist I am not...............and you can't win satifaction in life chancing material and monatary goals to the exclusion of everything else.......but Wall street seems to run that way........

How can we have an infinate free enterprise system of growth in a World of fast depleting finite sources??

Is this the ultimate flaw of our system of free enterprise?...........That as it becomes more successfull it becomes its own demise?

I know........corporate America says that our involvment in China's economy could eventually drive them to a more democractic form of government some day..........

Really?...................A democracy is best served as a form of government only when the general population is both literate and has an established middle class along with a strong social system of values that encourage responsiblity..........otherwise a democracy only reflects the dismal state of its voters and collapses............(can you say Eastern Soviet countries and Africa on failed democracy?)

You are not going to force a revolution and resultant democracy on the state of China by throwing money at them through trade practices......

China is exporting the products..........importing the cash....abusing their population and building up their military in the process. Someday they are going to eat America's lunch ...........

You want a clue when it will happen?

Keep an eye on what happens in Taiwan for starters........then watch N. Korea over time to see how China reacts.........

"The love of money is the root of all evil".........

Oct

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by futuretense

I know........corporate America says that our involvment in China's economy could eventually drive them to a more democractic form of government some day..........

So many years have past, this has proven to be the self-dream.

The developement of China's economy made CCP have a great mount of money to influence the western countries' policies, and it uses the wealthy of China to maintain its evil regime.

Wake up. When the Nazi Gernmany and Japan developed quickly before World war II, the world then did not realize the disaster the developement would bring to the world.

Oct

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Diplomatic Defector from Australia to Testify in US Congressional Sub-Committee

Republican Henry Hyde, the Chairman of the US congressional sub-committee on global human rights, has invited Chinese defector, Mr. Chen Yonglin, a former 1st Secretary at the Sydney Chinese Consulate, to testify before the Committee about Chinese spy networks and how the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) treats Falun Gong practitioners.
The sub-committee is to examine human rights abuses by the Chinese Government against Falun Gong practitioners.
theepochtimes.com...

Oct

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The 2004 United Nations Reports on China’s Persecution of Falun Gong. It is the second book of collections of reports of the Special Rapporteurs of the United Nations Human Rights Commission on China’ violence against Falun Gong practitioners.

www.flghrwg.net...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oct
Republican Henry Hyde, the Chairman of the US congressional sub-committee on global human rights, has invited Chinese defector, Mr. Chen Yonglin, a former 1st Secretary at the Sydney Chinese Consulate, to testify before the Committee about Chinese spy networks and how the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) treats Falun Gong practitioners.
The sub-committee is to examine human rights abuses by the Chinese Government against Falun Gong practitioners.
theepochtimes.com...

Seriousely guys, tell me how you think.

Do you guys in the U.S actually believe that by inviting a "defector" or "traitor" to testify in front of congress will win over the hearts and minds of the Chinese people?

I not trying to start a flame here but it seems to be that all of the things that the American government does is counter-productive to winning over the hearts and minds of the Chinese people.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Originally posted by rapier28
Seriousely guys, tell me how you think.

Do you guys in the U.S actually believe that by inviting a "defector" or "traitor" to testify in front of congress will win over the hearts and minds of the Chinese people?

well he wants to talk about the atrocities commited by the govt against its own people

I not trying to start a flame here but it seems to be that all of the things that the American government does is counter-productive to winning over the hearts and minds of the Chinese people.

wats so counter productive, wen it should be more awareness as to wat is goin on in China?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The reason i put this is because Chen Yonglin has very little knowledge of the abuses that occur within China, this is a publicity stunt. If he actually had some meaningful intelligence, he would've given them behind closed doors, and arrests can and will be made against "Chinese agents".

We all know his lied before, ie. on the kidnapping which the Australian Securities Agency find his claims to be groundless. He also said "1000" spies, which is stupid. Think conventionally, how many spies does 1 handler handle in the CIA?

1000??

Even if he was a spy master (which his not), he at most would handle 2 spies.

I'am still waiting for the "list of spies" that he claimed he has.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hello West Point 23. Re: Your rant about liberals not wailing about China? I am a member of AI, a Democrat, a Decorated Viet Vet, and I am here to tell you that AI and other so called Liberal groups have been trying to make China's Human Rights Abuses a national priority for years.

Please don't dredge up "Liberals" as a group that does not stand for Human Rights. This country is at war in Iraq for Human Rights & Democracy? Do you honestly believe that? We are operating airbases surrounding Iraq in some of the most repessive nations in the world. We ignore the African Continent because we are afraid of confronting China's interests there directly... while millions are shot, brutalized, relocated, and starved. This is not the work of "Liberals".. but of Neo-Cons, Corporations, and the bottom line.

West Point? What year did you graduate? Are you a wanna-be?

[edit on 1-8-2005 by RubyRed]

[edit on 1-8-2005 by RubyRed]

Oct

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I donot know if he has the listof spies, but

Yonglin announced, “The CCP’s Australian consulate has two systems; the diplomatic system and the intelligence system. The budget for the personnel in the intelligence system is independent. Many thought it was not wise to use the consulate to collect intelligence, but in fact, all the significant intelligence information is gathered through the consulate. Therefore, most consulates are equipped with intelligence systems. I was originally the political consul for the CCP consulate general in Sydney, responsible for contacts with both the Australian and Chinese officials and for dealings regarding political issues- a diplomatic system official. I gathered intelligence information primarily using public means (for example, reading publications, the internet, publicly monitoring group activities of dissenting persons, etc.) I participated in the receiving of intelligence from informers; therefore, I also know some informers’ names, even though I was not an intelligence system person.

"When I was working for the Chinese consulate, if I wanted to investigate someone, it was as easy as turning one’s palm- the consulate would just obtain information from informers. We only needed to give them a call, and they would tell us what we wanted to know. Some informers would even disclose the secrets of people around them over the phone; some would report in writing, although real smart ones would talk in person. But do not think it’s safe to talk in person; all telephone conversations or personal conversations must be reported in writing, and reported collectively to the supervisors, then reported to the internal intelligence department at home after analyzing and organizing the information. The intelligence system personnel inside the consulate would then directly report to the chief-of-staff or the security department.”

Three Documents Exhibited to the Media by Yonglin

Yonglin continued, “The first document was supplied by an agent to a consul, Duowei, comprising a list of Falun Gong practitioners’ names with a written note saying, ‘This document was obtained from the organization given on the back of the envelope.’ After verification, people named on the list were included in the internal monitoring list.” [Editor’s Note: This list is commonly called a “blacklist.”]

The second document exhibited by Yonglin was a six page facsimile from the Canberra Embassy to Sydney and Melbourne. It has the signature of the then CCP Ambassador in Australia, Zhou Wenzhong. It is a list naming Falun Gong practitioners and dissident persons.
Yonglin continued, “Because there are so many names on this list I do not wish to make all these names public.

"Certainly, I also have other files, but I do not wish to release all the files to the public, because nearly every document has a specific individual name, be it a political figure or a public official. I do not wish to produce the concrete details, because there are many families involved, and these files are potentially harmful to these families.”

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oct

I donot know if he has the listof spies, but

Yonglin announced, “The CCP’s Australian consulate has two systems; the diplomatic system and the intelligence system. ... (chopped)

Most, if not all consulates across the world, by all governments, act as intelligence gathering focal points in that country.

Again, his stating the obvious.

In fact, Australia had a famous case involving a former Chinese dissident who was jailed in China after spying and relaying information directly to an Australian embassy official in the 90's.

Japan had a famous cause involving north korean refugees in China who relayed information about North Koreans to the Japanese consulate in Shenyang.

Britain had a famous case just recently with 2 people arrested in Hong Kong for spying after the handover, etc etc.

Again, Chen Yong Lin is just going over the broad aspects of spying without any "important" information regarding individual spies or cases. The only individual case he brought out was the kidnapping of Lan Pu's son, which was discredited by ASIO (Australian Securities and Intelligence Organisation).

The dossiers he hands out are nothing sinister (not nice, sure), but nothing sinister, just countries keeping tabs on people who they regard as "unfriendly". Every country has such a list.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join