It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacking and Terroism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Many people say hacking is a form of terroism. I think thats rubbish, it's a crime, not a act of terroism.

I suppose it can be used as sort of terroism, with hackers being capable to disrupt a business and cause it to lose money. But thats a huge differance to other terroism, like people killing mass people.

what do you all think? i think hackers should be treated not as "computer terroists".

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think hacking is a crime. I think hacking CAN be used as a form of terrorism. You dont just have to kill people for it to be terrorism. Murder is a crime, however unless it is done on large scale with some political motive, it is not terrorism.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Well,
If a cracker busts in to an electrical grid and shuts down power to say, oh, half the East coast of the States in the name of Jihad or Aryan pride or Barney the dinosaur, would you consider that terrorism?
Or if the same aforementioned cracker were to find a way to crash all the stock markets in the world in the name of his/her cause, well that'd be pretty terrifying.

Murder is a crime; suicide bombings are an act of terrorism.

I think it all comes down to *why* one commits the crime and what he/she hopes to accomplish with it.

-B.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I believe that a well-placed hack can be viewed as an act of war. Don't forget, this is the information age:

June 10 2003

Computers are rare and Internet access is almost non-existent for most people in North Korea. Yet the isolated country is suspected of training computer hackers for cyberterrorism, US and South Korean officials say.

www.smh.com.au...

Using software obtained easily from hacker sites on the Internet, last June NSA officials conducted information warfare attacks, or "infowar," on computers used by military forces in the Pacific and the United States. The secret exercise, known as "Eligible Receiver," proved that hackers could easily shut down the U.S. electric-power grid within days and "render impotent" the command-and-control elements of the U.S. Pacific Command, NSA officials said.

Hacking is a weapon. The person discharging the weapon can be affiliated with one or many different agendas.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well answer these questions ...

Is hacking ever good?

Do hackers only want to do good?

Has hacking ever been used to threaten, attack, destroy, retaliate, abuse?

If its not good, then its on a par with stealing, and assault

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
'Silent weapons for a quiet war'

Coleman, Jaz (2003) Implant, ex Killing Joke, what was to be titled The Death And Resurrection Show, now just Killing Joke. Malicious Damage Records.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a terrorist!!!!!

I play wargame's ... kinda like LEGAL hacking ... you get permission to hack. Don't anyone start stereotyping my sweet arse because I hack though ...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
hacking can't really stop people form living if u life, it only stops u form participating in the systems life, the only way hackers could do some real damage is maybe hacking into the missle command centre and bam launch some nukes then you have ppl dying, the economy going down is no terror for me i could care less about this bull plop, if any people had half a mind they'd walk away from it

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Yea .... economy going out ... sure no problem, xept, how do you get a job, how do you pay bills, how do you buy food?

Electricity going out ... pffft ... not like we need it, untill all our food spoil's. Definatley won't need it untill winter come's. I'm also sure we'll eventually learn to see in the pitch black dark of our home's at night too.

Hey, let a hacker take out our sewage and water somehow too ... who care's. We'll just take our crap's outside ...

If a hacker wanted, he/she could destroy every american's life ... including their own, unless the hacker was a terrorist.

Your right .... let's WALK away from the potential threat's a malicious hacker could cause ... LET him/her do it ... no biggy.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 05:22 AM
link   
i m thinking hackers is a real terrorist in our new peace and global cyber world,the crime to the people is, will lose a lot of thing,e.g money,wasted time,business trading.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think hacking is a crime. I think hacking CAN be used as a form of terrorism. You dont just have to kill people for it to be terrorism. Murder is a crime, however unless it is done on large scale with some political motive, it is not terrorism.

sums it up quite well actually....

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is a viable threat from outside sorces, but it is avoidable. Good administration and security policys will keep hackers at bay.

With so much information on network security available on the internet, there is no reason any system should be vulnerable to be hacked. Peroid.

If this does happen, it's because sys admin's are lazy and sloppy. There's no excuse for it.

new topics

top topics

join