It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homebuilt personal aicraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm just curious if any of you here have ever built your own airplanes, rotorcraft, paramotors, hovercraft, etc...?

If so, is this something you would warn someone else to stay away from or would you encourage them?

For those of you who have done it, what was the level of difficulty and expense involved?

I'm asking because I would like to build a small personal aircraft (probably a rotorcraft or paramotor) just as a hobby project and would appreciate input from anyone else who has done this.

NOTE:
Right now, my level of experience with this is zero.
I don't even have a pilots licence.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Greetings,

This is interesting, to be honest it depends on you, do you want to have it flying within 2 months, do you want it to be built from scratch with your own design or you are willing to spend hundreds of thousands to spend.

It could range from 2 months to construct, right up to a lifetime, depending on your comittments and your wallet.

I would say go for a kit, quick and easy, although there is a cost factor for that ease, if you want to build every thing yourself you could get the plans for a W.A.R mini FW 190 or spitfire.

- Phil

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
www.kitplanes.com...

www.zenithair.com...

Just a couple of kit based websites you might find interesting, get your pilots licence before you try to fly though(even if its an ultralight) and put in lots of time at the Simulator if you have one near to you.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk
This is interesting, to be honest it depends on you, do you want to have it flying within 2 months, do you want it to be built from scratch with your own design or you are willing to spend hundreds of thousands to spend.

I'm hoping for something under $10,000 if possible, which is why I was thinking of paramotors or possibly rotorcraft.

I'd prefer something already tried and tested for my first one as I don't think it would be wise to experiment with my own design until I become more familiar with it.

This site here say they have plans for something you can build yourself with used part for around $2,000.
www.easyup.cc...

I have no idea how much something like the one below would cost but that's the size and roughly the type of craft that would good to try out.

Popular Rotorcraft Association

[edit on 8-7-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Greetings,

I have to agree with the other member its prefered if you get your licence before you start with the build, although I do know some old colleagues just liked the build rather than the actual flying of their light aircraft, but like every thing it depends on the person, and what they want from the build.

If I am honest, I think that its best to avoid rotorcraft for the simple fact that they are a whole new experience when it comes to learning how to fly them. Some people can do it, some people can't, planes on the whole are some what easier to control, not to mention cheaper.

Some good links
W.A.R Mini Fighters
www.warfw190.homestead.com...
web.northstate.net...

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You most definitely need to learn how to fly before even thinking of building your own aircraft. The picture shown is that of an autogyro. In 1987 I was hired to build one from a kit for a guy in Florida. It was farily simple to build and didn't take too long. The manufacturer of the kit had a certification process and the autogyro was inspected and certified. The person who hired me had plenty of experience with fixed-wing aircraft and none with rotary-wing. The FAA at the time didn't require a license for autogyros and grouped them in with ultralights and hang gliders. On the second flight he crashed the aircraft and was killed.
The main reason that kit planes have become popular is that if you build 51% of the aircraft you can get a certification to do your own maintenance and inspections. With the sky-high labor rates for aircraft maintenance this becomes very attractive to some people. The main reason for the high rates is the liability insurence that a mechanic must have. That is the primary reason that I let my A&P license lapse.

top topics

join