It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Body scan machines to be used on London Tube passengers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Body scanners are to be used on London tube passengers following yesterdays atrocities.
They can identify suspicious items such as bombs strapped to terrorists and can be linked into the CCTV system to identify and track the suspect. Staff will be automatically alerted to respond as necessary.

www.timesonline.co.uk
TUBE passengers are to have their bodies scanned by machines that see through clothing in an attempt to prevent further terrorist attacks. The millimetre wave imagers will be used to carry out random checks as people enter stations after services resume today.
Police and transport officials are also considering installing the equipment permanently at stations across the network. The technology is already used to catch illegal immigrants who hide in lorries at Channel ports but has not previously been used on the Underground because of the high cost and concerns about privacy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If you asked me last week I was concerned about privacy, but as the information is processed by a computer and not by people oogling at screens and especially in the light of recent events, I'm all for it.
Simple measures like this, now we have the technology, are what we need to combat terrorism. Rather than spend money on ID cards I think thge government should concentrate on technologies like this as I think they are much more useful. Luckily it looks like they might anyway.

It's incredible that these unmanned systems can scan people in real time and identify possible devices, there will probalby be a few bugs to iron out (in false alarms) but it has to be worth it if it hinders terrorists.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
As long as it looks like the picture on the PDF from their website, I don't really have too much of a problem with it.

It's blurred enough so you only see the suspicious items instead of the 'naughty bits'.

Passive Millimetre Wave Systems

[edit on 9-7-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Remember people can oogle at what the computer has scanned afterwards. This is not much of a surprise, i can see things such as this becoming permanent in London, then gradually spreading through the U.K.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
No one even try and tie the NWO with this!! Only kidding.

Its a great idea, may be a bit costly, but if it saves lives and catches evil buggers, then go for it.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
that would sure cost alot, and would they also need to have police offices at every station, on hand. that is alot of cost for london transport

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

that would sure cost alot, and would they also need to have police offices at every station, on hand. that is alot of cost for london transport

It was my understanding that they do and at most mainline stations as well

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
yep those machines would be a waste of time unless you have armed police around all the time, like they have at heathrow.

just how much would that cost, and remember the consumer would have to pay

(it reminds me of the total recall movie where at the train station you have to walk through the body scan machines)

[edit on 9-7-2005 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well it's not quite Total Recall tech.
I don't think you can get that without radiation.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
i meant it just reminds me of the movie, how there would be someone sitting behind some screne, screening everyone getting on the tube

but i know what you mean, the differences

[edit on 9-7-2005 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm all for it, but only if it makes my dick look bigger.

This is just plain nonsese. The news the other day stated 3,500,000 people use the tube every day. Do you seriously think they can check that many people? Rubbish.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Those machines scan pretty fast. If you put enough of them in each station you can scan a pretty good sized number of people. There's also this for another option. It's being deployed in the US right now, and the base technology it was started from is AMAZINGLY accurate, and getting better.

www.geindustrial.com...

dh

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yes, its bloody great - everytime you go to catch the tube you are irradiated. Should do no end of good to raised cancer levels and birth deformities
They're not only able to look at you with all the CCTV everywhere but can now look at what you're carrying
And Charles Clarke now wants every email sent scanned and saved
Well, Charlie, we know the NSA are doing that at Menwith Hill and other bases anyway
These are the type of outcomes - loss of privacy, more surveillence , more EMF irradiation, for which the bastards in control ordered the London bombings in the first place

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Before you go spouting off you should actually LEARN a little bit about what you're talking about. The amount of radiation put out by ANY type of x-ray machine used for this, or for scanning bags at an airport is MINISCULE. The FDA legal limit in the US is 0.5ur/hour. The HIGHEST unit we have at any airport in the state here is 4 years old, and puts out 0.2mr/hour. The AVERAGE machine we have here puts out 0.0mr/hr up to about 0.03mr/hr. At 0.5mr/hr you could be exposed to that for a YEAR and not see an increase in caner levels or anything else. Just because someone said the *gasp* "R" word doesn't mean that bad things are going to happen immediately. Give me a break. Do a little research and find out how much radiation you're exposed to standing in the SUN for 20 minutes. Or living in a brick building, or just about everything ELSE you do. It's 10 times more than you'll get from being scanned by this machine, or more.

[edit on 10-7-2005 by Zaphod58]

dh

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
You just love the government that gives you this, don't you
Every increase in the level of radiation exposure compromises you
Especially if it's day in, day out, multiple times per day
I won't be hoodwinked by your crap official science

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
And the fact that I WORK on these machines, and HAVE worked on these machines for almost 10 years now doesn't mean anything either.
Funny, I don't see any cancer, I have a 2 year old daughter who's perfect, haven't been any sicker than BEFORE I started working on them. But you're right of course. A couple exposures are gonna kill us all, and they're gonna make the muslims sterile so they can't reproduce.

dh

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
And the fact that I WORK on these machines, and HAVE worked on these machines for almost 10 years now doesn't mean anything either.
Funny, I don't see any cancer, I have a 2 year old daughter who's perfect, haven't been any sicker than BEFORE I started working on them. But you're right of course. A couple exposures are gonna kill us all, and they're gonna make the muslims sterile so they can't reproduce.

15 years is recognised as a usual and common time for the pathological outcomes to occur
See you in five
And you work on these machines? SHAME ON YOU

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yah, shame on me for keeping equipment running that keeps people like you safe when you travel on planes. Shame on me for trying to make a difference and preventing something like 9/11 from happening again. Shame on me for that! How DARE I try to keep people safe. And actually you just made my point! FIFTEEN YEARS is the accepted standard before you see physical problems occuring. Now you are going to try to tell me that THE SAME people are going to be catching the trains and being exposed to these machines for FIFTEEN YEARS? If *I* haven't gotten anything yet, and I'm working a LOT closer to the x-ray generators than you and other people will EVER be, and you're saying it'll take another 5 years before *I* see anything, then your argument about seing more cancer and birth defects is total crap.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Also found this old article I guess the technology will be updated.

Ok what if they decided to put a car bomb in the middle of oxford street whilst driving?

It will not stop the torrorists but what about plastic explosives, a bit harder to detect amoungst someones shopping or modeling clay. Might stop petty crime overal. Technology is getting silly, I wo'nt say what else they could do it will give them ideas.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There is no way to stop a seriously determined person from setting of a bomb, or completing an attack. You do the best you can with what you have and stop the ones you can stop. Using body scanners, and Entryscan units will stop the ones in the tubes, and wherever else they set them up. If someone is determined to set off a bomb, like a car bomb, unless you're willing to stop and search each and every car driving in an area, which most places aren't willing to do for obvious reasons, you're not gonna stop it from happening.

top topics

join