It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU weapons embargo on China retained(for now)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well contrary to expectations the EU has maintained its 15- year long chinese embargo on weapons transfers..

Hence all those prospective purchases of Mirage 2000s, Grippens etc.. by china will be put on hold for now..
Though the article states that all indications do point to an eventual lifting of hte ban

www.armscontrol.org...

I think it will happen eventually; but what will be interesting to observe is the US reaction when it actually happens..

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It could happen in less than a year again. When UK steps down from its role (I don't know what its called, the role that countries regularily switch between for the leadership position or something).

To say the truth, I'm happy that they didn't lift the ban because now PLA, PLAN and PLAAF are pouring more money into its own indigenous(I still can't spell it correctly) designs and become more unique in weapons manufacturing and produce more unique equipments like WS-1Bs, WS-2, TY-90, JD-3 ........ Although not getting access to western equipments might set China back 3 years but in the end, we're the ones getting the benefit of the decision.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I agree with COWlan, in the short run, not getting European/Western equipment will set China back for about 3 years, but in the long run, with the developement in inidigenous projects, this will actually help China more than hurt China.

new topics

join