It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory about galaxies getting further apart from each other

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
O.K I'll re-explain my theory.
Basically the red shift theory asys that all glazies are getting further away from each other, the further they are the faster they move.
But I thought what if actually matter was shrinking adn the sapce reamined the same but becasue ti has got smaller wow in clicks red shift.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Galaxies are moving apart thanks to something called black matter. It is the opposing force to gravity and us what keep the universe in expansion. It is a theory since nobody has been able to actually detect it. How it works, what is made of is unkwon. What is known is that somehow is expanding the universe hence the distance between galaxies.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
How can basing calculations on red shift be accurate.If light travels millions(or billions) of miles(or light years) to get to us,I would think that gravity of large interstellar mass'(or black holes even) would affect it in some way.Space is not just free of objects, the light has to pass some pretty big mass' on its way here.Those huge mass'(galaxys, black holes, ect) have massive gravity, which they never take account for.Red shift is a bogus theory IMHO.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by iris_failsafe
Galaxies are moving apart thanks to something called black matter. It is the opposing force to gravity and us what keep the universe in expansion. It is a theory since nobody has been able to actually detect it.

That's dark energy.

Dark matter is a theorized matter that does have positive gravity. Dark matter may be necessary to keep galaxies together since observations show that galaxies don't have enough normal matter to account for their structure and motion -- they should just fly apart.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Implications for the fate of the universe

Cosmologists estimate that the acceleration began roughly 5 billion years ago. Before that, it is thought that the expansion was decelerating, due to the attractive influence of dark matter and baryons. The density of dark matter in an expanding universe disappears more quickly than dark energy, and eventually the dark energy dominates. Specifically, when the volume of the universe doubles, the density of dark matter is halved but the density of dark energy is nearly unchanged (it is exactly constant in the case of a cosmological constant).

If the acceleration continues indefinitely, the ultimate result will be that galaxies outside the local supercluster will move beyond the cosmic horizon: they will no longer be visible, because their relative speed becomes greater than the speed of light. This is not a violation of special relativity, and the effect cannot be used to send a signal between them. (Actually there is no way to even define "relative speed" in a curved spacetime. Relative speed and velocity can only be meaningfully defined in flat spacetime or in sufficiently small (infinitesimal) regions of curved spacetime). Rather, it prevents any communication between them and the objects pass out of contact. The Earth, the Milky Way and the Virgo supercluster, however, would remain virtually undisturbed while the rest of the universe recedes. In this scenario, the local supercluster would ultimately suffer heat death, just as was thought for the flat, matter-dominated universe, before measurements of cosmic acceleration.

There are some very speculative ideas about the future of the universe. One suggests that phantom energy causes divergent expansion, which would tear apart the Virgo supercluster ending the universe in a Big Rip. On the other hand, dark energy might dissipate with time, or even become attractive. Such uncertainties leave open the possibility that gravity might yet rule the day and lead to a universe that contracts in on itself in a "Big Crunch". Some scenarios, such as the cyclic model suggest this could be the case. While these ideas are not supported by observations, they are not ruled out. Measurements of acceleration are crucial to determining the ultimate fate of the universe in big bang theory.

=========================================
source:
Wikipedia: Dark Energy

A couple other things you might find interesting:
Wikipedia: Hubble's Law
Wikipedia: Dark Energy Star
Wikipedia: Redshift

=========================================

hope that helps

[edit on 12-7-2005 by swordsaint]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I heard somewhere that what keps a galazy together is actually called, (now I'm being honest here I know the name is stupid but I didnt invent it)
a supermassive black hole. When a galazie first comes together the very centre implodes(is that the right word) and all its matter compreses into a singularity.
BEcause there is so much matter in it the SMBH it has such intense gravity it can hoold a galazy together.
Dont give me any stick I watched this on T.V and did not make it up.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

And by the way, the place this should have been put is Science and Technology, not Aliens and UFOs.

Sir/mam, you seem very informed on this topic. But we are not in aliens and UFO's. This isSpace Exploration.

I, as an amateur astronomer, think that "our" universe is expanding. Right beside our universe is another completely separate universe, which is contracting and beside that one is another one perhaps either expanding and retracting. Our universe isn't the only one, no one can be that closeminded. As one is expanding many others could be retracting or expanding depending on their position. I'm no professional here on the subject, but visually in my mind I am getting this thought. It also sounds exciting. Good luck on you quest for the truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join