It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My hair is falling out...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Now I'm only 18 years old and my hair is falling out in strands. I took a blood test a couple of weeks ago and negative for any STDs or anything else. I don't have any terminal illnesses or anything. This has been going on everyday for 2 months now, everytime I run my fingers through my hair a few whole strands fall out. I still have a head full of thick hair, but I'm still worried. Why the hell is my hair falling out at 18?? Could this be a symptom of stress?

[edit on 7/6/2005 by Mike at ATS]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
18...hmmm...
thats when it starts for some folks..History of baldness in your family by chance?
Especially on your Mom's side?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
18...hmmm...
thats when it starts for some folks..History of baldness in your family by chance?
Especially on your Mom's side?

No, there isn't any male pattern baldness in my family. My dad, uncles, cousins and both grandfathers still have their hair. dubya tee eff?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Stress, medicines..all kinds of things can cause it..
Check out this page, maybe something will trigger
an idea..

dubya tee eff

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Stress, medicines..all kinds of things can cause it..
Check out this page, maybe something will trigger
an idea..

dubya tee eff

Wow, I never knew about this resting phase. Thanks spacedoubt, you've lifted a great burden of worry of my shoulders.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
since you don't believe it is genetics...

how often do you wash your hair? what kind of shampoo are you using?

hair should be washed every 2-3 days but brushed daily. Washing hair daily strips it of its natural oils which protect your hair.

also you should use different brands of shampoo and conditioner every 3-6 months

You could probably also use more folic acid in your diet, eats lots of spinach and you'll have long thick shiny hair for life.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
ROGAINE

Run to the pharmacy immediately, purchase it, and apply it... That piece of info took me a week or two of doctors appointments to get.

Applies to thinning hair, yes I also went through that stage and no there is no male pattern balness in my immediate family.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Get your thyroid checked, too.

Hair loss/thinning is a good indicator of hypothyroidism.

(and a general blood test for STDs won't check thyroid function...)

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike at ATS
Now I'm only 18 years old and my hair is falling out in strands. I took a blood test a couple of weeks ago and negative for any STDs or anything else. I don't have any terminal illnesses or anything. This has been going on everyday for 2 months now, everytime I run my fingers through my hair a few whole strands fall out. I still have a head full of thick hair, but I'm still worried. Why the hell is my hair falling out at 18?? Could this be a symptom of stress?

After reading your post i will provide my own insight.I started to loose my hair at the age of 16 due to stress which is attributed to when my mother died.I visited a trichlogist which formulates he's minixodil along with his pharmasist (which is the active ingredient in rogaine and removes things like propelyne glycol).he also prescribed propecia(however the jury is still out on that one as some say it can cause prostate cancer.In regard to things like shampoos look for naturally based shapoos which are free of sodium laurly sulfater(sls) and other nasties).You may also try things such as rosemary which is said to increase blood flow and stimulation,you can aslo find shampoos based on this.

There really is no need to change your shapoo every 3-6 months.Remember the job of shapoo is to cleanse and maintain a healthy ph level in your scalp.

Also be wary of saw dust plametto as the hury is out on this some say it works and some say it doesnt.It give an odd urine condition causeing constant urination.its said to block the dht hormone.

keep doing some more research and you shpuld be fine.

sorry for the long post and spelling mistakes.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
eat penauts.................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

its been and can be healful

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If non of the above work, get a wig....

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I can't tell you how many women I've heard say that Piccard (Patrick Steward) is an uber hotty because of his bald, distinguished head. If you're stressin', stop (could be what's causing it, too
). There are some major advantages to being or going bald that are downplayed by the media. (The conspiracy theorist would say it is because they're in cahoots with hair care corporate giants
)

You look older. For men, this is an advantage. You gain respect, for whatever reason, usually before the person has met you. Often, people give your words more weight because they think you've had more experience than you actually have. You also gain respect for the same reason. You won't get carded nearly as often. When you're with your friends, too, women will look at you with more interest because you look older, and there for would be more mature and more likely financially independant. Even professors at college will look at you through a different light.

Don't wear a baseball cap to cover it up, though! This destroys any advantage of balding you could get by making you look like a little kid. Also, studies have shown that college professors are irritated by wearing a hat in class, which could have an affect on your relationship and even your grade, if you have a dingus. A combover, too, will make you appear both foolish and concealing.

Don't sweat it if you do end up losing your hair. It's a threat that looms over me, as my dad has been balding since he was 18, but one that doesn't bother me anymore. Right now I'll enjoy having hair, if it leaves, though, I'll enjoy not having hair...And saving buckets of cash on shampoo and conditioner

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Stress... Yes this is why this is happening to you.
Try taken a couple volumes. 18 is a hard age, I know, I remember!

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I can't tell you how many women I've heard say that Piccard (Patrick Steward) is an uber hotty because of his bald, distinguished head.

Yep!

Mike at ATS, is there a specific part of your head that you're losing hair from or is it all over? Its completely normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day, so if thats the case I wouldnt worry much about it.
You should go see a doctor anyways. Ya never know.
Or you can just lose it all and transform into a uber-hottie like Picard. But ya gotta pass captain school

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sy Sperling says "Plug it"!!!

Look at the 'before' picture of Sy, distressed, withdrawn, on the edge of suicide.

Look at the 'after' picture of Sy, super hot chick magnet who can't keep the women off of him.

It's your choice Mike but I know which solution I would choose.

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
ummm didn't anyone who posted recently to this thread notice that the
author has been banned....

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Yes and thank you for your concern.

Deny 'board police' harassment.

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Sy Sperling says "Plug it"!!!

Look at the 'before' picture of Sy, distressed, withdrawn, on the edge of suicide.

Look at the 'after' picture of Sy, super hot chick magnet who can't keep the women off of him.

It's your choice Mike but I know which solution I would choose.

Peace

Doesnt look like it made a difference as far as his "image" goes!

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
wasn't intended as "board police"...

I just thought it was funny.... and thought I would share in hopes that others would find humor in it... :shk::shk:

should have known better around this place... :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

hehe I did after I posted. Responded with a resounding, "DOH!"

However, then I remembered that even non-members can still read the posts, and figured he may check this thread if it's bothering him as much as it seems it does

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join