It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question concerning heaven/hell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Again, I apologize if this topic has been discussed already...
I dont believe hell or the devil exists. I dont believe we are only here 70-100 years and then we fly up to heaven and sing and worship god for eternity. Im a firm believer in reincarnation. We are here to learn a lesson each time we are here.
My question is, what religions are you aware of that support these ideas? I know these are not original theories, and wanted to learn more. Im currently teaching myself about Buddhism...am I on the right track?
Thanks..

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparky
My question is, what religions are you aware of that support these ideas? I know these are not original theories, and wanted to learn more. Im currently teaching myself about Buddhism...am I on the right track?
Thanks..

Here's a link that might help in solving some of your technical questions about which religions include certain ideas. There are so many root faiths and so many branches from those I still get confused sometimes, so instead of giving an answer I'd rather point you somewhere that will help you find your own answer.

www.meta-religion.com...

Whether or not you're on the right track in learning Buddhism is once again up for you to decide. In my personal opinion Buddhism is certainly a worthy step for anyone in their journey for spiritual answers. I think the most important thing to remember is that the answers you need are the answers only you can find. Even Buddha would probably remind you that within YOU are all the answers to all YOUR questions and they will become known when ready to accept them.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 03:52 AM
link   
If i were you i'd take a look at the site: www.religioustolerance.com
if you havent already. It gives information on all religions and there are a great deal more most are aware of. You may find after looking through this site that there are a few religions that share this outlook.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 03:58 AM
link   
There was also an excellent on-line Religious Quiz that was linked to a few weeks ago, and a lot of members engaged in interesting 'self-discovery' on that one.

It matches which faith is going to be best for you in terms of your core beliefs, of which the soul/passage/reincarnation one would be covered in about 3 in 20 questions.

I would find the thread, but I've got to many things on the go on my screen to do it right now... ATS Search or a look down the Spirituality forum will find it.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Thank you for the links and ideas...

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 07:29 AM
link   

My question is, what religions are you aware of that support these ideas? I know these are not original theories, and wanted to learn more.

Many religions incorporate this idea...Buddhism and Hinduism being the more major ones. However, why do you feel the need to label yourself as to a specific religion? I've always been amazed at people's willingness to jump on a bandwagon....when most religious teachers, have advocated deciding religion for one's self.....

oui

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Buddhism is supportive of those Ideas. Allthough, there is also a heaven, and hell, but they are not like the "christian" view of heaven, and hell which last for eternity. In Buddhism, heaven, and hell are just 2 of the 31 realms of existance, and last for only for a duration of time, just like everything else in life.

If Buddhism is the right path for you... I cannot answer that for you, but I do wish you luck in finding the path you are looking for.

To Gazrok:

I "Label" my self as a Buddhist only for the mere reason of letting people know what I follow. Its alot easier to say "I'm a Buddhist", instead of, "Well I'm sorta a Buddhist, sorta not, I follow the teachings of Buddhism, but am not a Buddhist." Besides, If I say the latter, I usually get "Wait I'm confused, your a Non-Buddhist, Buddhist", or "Say that again?" But you are totally right in your views, and I agree 100%... Buddhist, Christian, Moslem, Hindu, are all just titles, and in no way do they effect the truth's that those religions/philosophies hold. "Would a rose smell as sweet, by any other name?" applies nicely here. Would Christianity still lead to salvation, if it had another name?

Just to recap. I agree with you Gazrok, but its alot easier to just tell people what I am/follow. The label doesn't matter anyhow, its like medicine names. Would advil still work if it was valled livda? Yes of course, because its just the name changing, not the actual drug, etc...

`Peace, love, and happiness to all beings...

If you do have any questions on Buddism though, I'd be happy to answer any you have to the best of my knowledge.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Reincarnation was actually taught in the early Christian church. But was then dropped when eternal damnation or everlasting peace was found to be more "profitable" for the church.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
There was also an excellent on-line Religious Quiz that was linked to a few weeks ago

Here ya go.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The quiz is in the first post of the thread.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Just to recap. I agree with you Gazrok, but its alot easier to just tell people what I am/follow. The label doesn't matter anyhow, its like medicine names. Would advil still work if it was valled livda? Yes of course, because its just the name changing, not the actual drug, etc...

Easier...yes. I merely pointed out, that you shouldn't feel the need to identify with a specific existing religion...if it doesn't fit your personal beliefs...'tis all.
Buddhism is close to a lot of my personal philosophy, but I'm not going to cringe every time I kill a bug either....or rub his belly for luck or anything....

top topics

join