It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMX fighter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Roles

The main role of the AMX is ground attack in visual and marginal weather conditions, with primary roles in long range strike and air interdiction, close air support, reconnaissance and armed patrol. The aircraft is also highly effective in air defence missions and the lead-in fighter role. Italian Air Force AMX fighters were deployed as part of the NATO forces in Operation Allied Force against Serbia in 1999.

Weapon systems

The AMX can carry external loads up to 3800kg. The aircraft has seven hardpoints: one on the centreline of the underside of the fuselage, two hardpoints under each wing and wingtip rails on each wing. The aircraft can carry air-to-air missiles, air-to-surface missiles, free-fall bombs, retarded bombs, laser-guided bombs, cluster bombs, precision-guided munitions and rocket launchers. Italian Air Force AMX aircraft have been equipped with GBU-12 bombs, fitted with the Opher imaging infrared terminal guidance kits supplied by Elbit of Israel. The wingtip launchrails can carry the AIM-9L infrared guided Sidewinder air-to-air missile, or the Orbita MAA-1 Piranha air-to-air missile.

Italian AF AMX are to be supplied with Lizard laser-guided bombs from Elbit. The bombs will be armed with 500 lb Mk 82 warheads. From 2003, it is planned that the US JDAM Joint Direct Attack Munition will also be carried on the Italian AMX.

source

Looks a little bit like the harrier to me, but then again I'm not a aircraft expert. But I'm glad Italy, Brazil, and Venezuala are updating there weapon systems, then if we got in a major war those nations air forces could help us in missions like ground attack.

join