It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't enjoy my life...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko
Basicly you keep giving until you stop feeling guilty... to truly help you would need to give everything you have and be on the same level as them...

Otherwise your just doing it so you don't feel guilty!

Polskie,

I'm not being facetious in what I'm about to say. You may need to consider getting some professional help with these feelings you are having. They are WAY to the extreme.

I don't see any clear indication that you were able to read the words of MANY posters on this subject and have cognizance of what they were meaning.

It concerns me for you.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
"You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family."

Clint Smith, Director, Thunder Ranch

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:46 PM
link   

How many of you have trouble sleeping at night knowing people are going hungry? People are dieing while I ponder about how much money I'm going to make today.

I'm having more and more trouble enjoying my life. Anytime I start to do something fun and entertaining... the images of starving children fill my head. And it is only getting worse...

Do any of you have this same problem?

Not really... Most people have no one to blame but themselves for their misery... If you're starving, why the hell would you then have kids??? If nothing grows where you live....MOVE! Jeez...ancient man migrated all over chasing food.... I'm with Sam Kinison here.... Move to the food...this is sand....you know what it will be years from now? SAND!!! I don't feel guilty for my limited success. I work hard for what I have (more than a standard work week, and on beeper), and nobody handed me jack-#....

If it really bothers you so much...sign up for a respected charity (one that doesn't just go to warlords...) that pays more attention to building infrastructure and teaching, vs. just food. Then they can do for themselves...

Bottom line...you likely work and earn what you have...and there is no reason to feel guilty for it...

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:47 PM
link   
If you truly help someone in need then that is good.....why should you feel to worry what others think of you?
If you truly earned all that you have in a fair and honest way, then you should not feel guilty but be happy with what you have........if you can help it is a good thing,but trying to help the world with all the misfortunes cannot be done........If one cannot truly help another in crisis with money then one can offer them a good word ,be helpful toward them in a different way...offer them good thoughts and console them with being a true friend...
It is hard to be a friend and to listen to their problems to someone who is over the other side of the world, but that is 'reality' and I'm afraid that it is up to each individual to see that and do something about it.
Feeling guilty over something you have no control over can actually do you harm because you may fall in the trap of ''depression'' and then who is to help you?
I would do what i can with true intentions to help someone in need and offer them a good word and listen to them......and though you help one person it is still better that you did do something out of the goodness of your heart then do nothing at all....
Feeling 'guilty' over something that is out of your reach can actually do harm to you because you remain in the state of doing nothing but harm to yourself because you feel you let all those less fortunate then yourself down...
You dont have to give all you have, to feel good .....just do as much as you truly can and dont worry what others say or think because you yourself knows your true intentions and if they are truly honest and with fairness then you have done a good thing .....
Well, I guess prayers cannot hurt anyone.......even though they may seem like they are not heard ,they cannot do you harm...
helen..

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I believe one man can make a big difference in the world... I'm not 18 yet so I can't give to any charities from my account. I have to give in cash and a lot of the charities don't like that...

I can't really quit my job I need to pay for my college in case my ROTC scholarship doesn't go through. I also need a car to drive, since our public transportation system is lacking.

I plan on joining the navy and serving until they kick me out or I die. That is a good service to people I think. That adopt a child thing sounds good too. Whatever you and I do however, will never be enough for the world.

[Edited on 18-8-2003 by PolskieWojsko]

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I mean this in a very KIND way... if you "Can't enjoy your life" U NEED help immediately.

i mean really, R U to blame for the suffering of another? ONLY if YOU brought that suffering on. I somehow doubt that is the case.

What i do think is the case is you have been mentally BOMBARDED, beyond your ability to cope, with messages of need by the media and or your peers.

this leads me to several possible conclusions,

1.you are 15 years old (which is FINE - go talk w/ your mom and dad about your feelings)

2. You are posting this for PURE reaction's sake

3. You have a HUGE trust fund which you did NOTHING to earn (give LOTS of money away if this is it)

4. You are simply DEPRESSED and this subject is the most recent stimuli you have to blame on your feelings in which case, you need help IMMEDIATELY ( I hate repeating myself)...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko
Whatever you and I do however, will never be enough for the world.

...major lesson I had to learn in my job (Mental Health Worker, and Youth Drug and Alcohol volunteer worker) was that you couldn't focus on 'saving the world'...but just focus on 'helping save (though even the word 'save' doesn't really fit) ONE person'...or helping them save themselves. Once you have done that...then help another...and another...

Helping even ONE person to live again will blow you away with a positive vibe...trust me on that...

Pays not to see the journey as never-ending steps...but just one at a time.

But like I said...at the end of the day you do what you can for who you can...its all good...

Its like that Dylan Thomas poem... "Do not go gentle into that good night...rage rage against the dying of the light". Yeah...death is inevitable...as it pain in the world...but so what, go hard, go out raging on your feet instead of curled up in a ball due to the misery of it all.

Peace,
ALIEN

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join