It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't enjoy my life...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 12:22 AM
link   
How many of you have trouble sleeping at night knowing people are going hungry? People are dieing while I ponder about how much money I'm going to make today.

I'm having more and more trouble enjoying my life. Anytime I start to do something fun and entertaining... the images of starving children fill my head. And it is only getting worse...

Do any of you have this same problem?

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I do have problems with sleaping.. but i have no problems with seeing starving people in head.. BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM OF THINKING THESE POOR AFGANS AND IRAQIS WHO ARE MASSACRED BY USAF.. and still these brave men try and fight back *sob* thinking of them and "US HEROES" that drop their bombs from 5000m and above.. makes ME MAD.. they even dare call themself SOLDIERS.. playing high-tech "video games" has nothing to do WITH BEING HERO OR A SOLDIER.. soldier faces the enemy face to face on even terms..

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
strange, I feel myself trying to become narcissistic more and more every day.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Honestly...no.

Certainly feel sorry for those who are living/dying in harsh conditions...but really...there is only so much you can do without devoting every moment, every thing you have, to the service of others...even then the problem is larger than one person can deal with.

The work I do helps me sleep at night...doing good things for others...it also brings the odd unsettled night when one of the guys I see is not doing well, suffering with their illness etc...but yeah, really, there is a great deal of pain/suffering in this world...and if you take it all onboard then its 'burn out' city here you come ya know...

...just do what ya can handle doing...is it ever enough, well, only you can decide that. Its a hard thing to learn...but I think we all need to have the ability to detach when we need to...or ultimately we overload, we burn out, we break down...and then we're no good to anyone...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uninen
I do have problems with sleaping.. but i have no problems with seeing starving people in head.. BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM OF THINKING THESE POOR AFGANS AND IRAQIS WHO ARE MASSACRED BY USAF.. and still these brave men try and fight back *sob* thinking of them and "US HEROES" that drop their bombs from 5000m and above.. makes ME MAD.. they even dare call themself SOLDIERS.. playing high-tech "video games" has nothing to do WITH BEING HERO OR A SOLDIER.. soldier faces the enemy face to face on even terms..

Why don't you move to Iraq and fight for jihad??

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 12:58 AM
link   
*fires up grill*

Road Kill Cafe, you kill it, we grill it!

Bring it on, if it fits on my grill, Im not scared, are you?

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 12:59 AM
link   
How can you be a hero if your dead?

the dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Uninen

By any chance, are you familar with the carrers of:
Eino Juutilainen
Hasse Wind
Eino Luukkanen
Urho Lehtovaara
Oiva Tuominen
Risto Puhakka
Olavi Puro
Nils Katajainen

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think that if something's on your mind that much it could be a passion of yours to follow.

When I worry about something that's out of my control it just gets frustrating and I feel helpless. There is only so much you can do, the rest is out of your hands and will only cause you problems worrying about it and won't do anyone any good!

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko
How many of you have trouble sleeping at night knowing people are going hungry? People are dieing while I ponder about how much money I'm going to make today.

I'm having more and more trouble enjoying my life. Anytime I start to do something fun and entertaining... the images of starving children fill my head. And it is only getting worse...

You are right ! That's why I stopped playing videogames and watching stupid movies since a few years ago...

Just a council : Let your TV off, go out, try to help others... You will feel quickly really better then...

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 06:22 AM
link   
If this has become a problem for you then you should deal with it. Your first step should be to accept what it is you're feeling and thinking so the whole picture becomes clear to you. Keep in mind that suffering is world wide and will vary in degree. DO NOT let this overtake you resulting in your own depression however, that does nobody any good. When you find an area where you can be of most help to others who are in need, but also willing to accept your help, get yourself involved.

Some important things to keep in mind:
1. You can't solve all the worlds problems yourself, so do what you can and feel good about what you're doing, but know there is always more that can be done.

2. You can only help those who are willing to accept it, reguardless of how much they need it.

3. Do not feel guilty for living a full life and experiencing what is available to you. The world and the suffering contained has been here long before you and is not your fault. You need not suffer yourself to aid those who already do.

4. Those who cause others to suffer are the only ones truely obligated to correct what they've done. To those who are suffering however, the origin of aid makes little difference.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I felt that way about 3 years ago....Thing is you cannot change the world..but you can help
what i did was sponcer a child....its great i get letters and photos...and one day i hope to go out there..which i have been welcome to do...
its a small piece...but i know that one less kid is suffering

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   

i don't have problems sleeping about it. There are problems in the world, but its down to governments to sort out the problem.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 07:58 AM
link   
No, I do not.

But I would advise that if these issues concern you this much, you should put your time and efforts toward them. In other words, put your money where your mind is. Quit the job that makes the money that guilts you, and do charity work. Go over there and live and help them in whatever way you can - which will be much smaller once you're unemployed and without the guilty cash.

OR...pray for them, and donate a good percent of your money to administratively efficient charities that will help 3rd world children.

But above all...which ever one you pick, you need to realize that you've got one life...to enjoy or spend half of it rolling around in bed worrying about things that you can't fix...you may be able to effect them, but not fix them. The purpose of your existence is to leave your little space on this earth in at least a good of shape as when you got here, preferably better, and to enjoy the kindness of yourself and others as you proceed through what will eventually be just a perturbation, undetectable without a microscope, that your life is on the grand scale. There has never been, there is not now, nor will there ever be anyone who holds more importance to your life on this earth...than you. If you drop the ball on living it to the fullest, no one's gonna pick it up for you.

Cheer up, and enjoy life...and start doing some good things for others. You'll be amazed how healing it is.

And remember,
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the WISDOM to know the difference.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I feel sorry for those people living in conditions that would qualify as # hole. But unless you'll do something about it IE(recycle, donate food, clothes, water, money) don't worry about it. I know it sounds harsh but the only person your hurting is yourself so either help or go on with your life.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Amen mOjOm!

I would reccomend doing charity work and stuff on the weekend if you could. Quiting your job in this economy is a baaaaaad move. You may become one of those you suffered for, which puts you in no position to help.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
There have been some good suggestions here on thread on what to do to make yourself feel better about these things that are troubling you,but you might want to look deeper within yourself for these answers,it sounds like you may be feeling guilty about something you are not facing and the thoughts of others suffering may be setting them off.
You can start by fixing what you can,and that starts with yourself,if you want to help people you have to help yourself first,if you don't help/fix yourself,how can you help others?.
Myself,I just try to keep things right by controlling what is withinin my power to control,helping others when it is within my power to do so.You can waste a lot of energy trying to fix the whole world.
Take care of yourself first though,we need more like you here.
God bless and peace to you.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I don't have the problem, but I feel bad for them.

Ido have problems with sleaping.. but i have no problems with seeing starving people in head.. BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM OF THINKING THESE POOR AFGANS AND IRAQIS WHO ARE MASSACRED BY USAF.. and still these brave men try and fight back *sob* thinking of them and "US HEROES" that drop their bombs from 5000m and above.. makes ME MAD.. they even dare call themself SOLDIERS.. playing high-tech "video games" has nothing to do WITH BEING HERO OR A SOLDIER.. soldier faces the enemy face to face on even terms..

It's not actually the soldiers fault. They are given orders and have to follow them. There are many, many, soldiers out there who disagree with the war and just want to go home. Guess what, they can't.

I agree partially with you though... I don't think we should be fighting and they aren't heros because they are fighting. But I never agreed with Bush, let alone the war.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Basicly you keep giving until you stop feeling guilty... to truly help you would need to give everything you have and be on the same level as them...

Otherwise your just doing it so you don't feel guilty!

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I suppose I am a selfish bastard.

Am I my brothers keeper? - Cain

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join