It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Nations Food Is Best?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I lived in the Green Bay area (Oshkosh for a year, Neenah for another) and wasn't too impressed with any restraunts in the area except for one with a "C" name (I think it was Callihans). When I moved to LaCrosse there were some decent pizza places, but most sit down places really didn't impress me. As you may have noticed from my previous posts, I really enjoy flavor explosions, but most restraunts that I went to while out in the area served pretty bland foods. A Perkin's reubin isn't so bad, but they don't make it on pumpernickle...
I'm picky, too

EDIT: As to the names of the not-so-good ones, I can't give names because that was about 5 years ago and I don't recall the places I avoided. Sorry!

[edit on 7-11-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Due to the recent comments made by Mr Chirac about British cuisine, and all the grief ive been getting in chat about our food, i want to know......

Which country has the best cuisine?????

I love my English food but none of my fellow countrymen seem to agree (traitors)!!!

Well I assume since Ireland is part of the UK I can agree with you when in comes to pasties and Corn beef and cabbage. Never had steak and kidney pie so cannot comment on it.

As for the best food, I would say American only because most if not all resturants serve a variety of foods from all over the world.

My favorites if I had to state would be Italian, Spanish, and Greek in that order although I do like Thai and some Indian dishes.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I lived in the Green Bay area (Oshkosh for a year, Neenah for another) and wasn't too impressed with any restraunts in the area except for one with a "C" name (I think it was Callihans). When I moved to LaCrosse there were some decent pizza places, but most sit down places really didn't impress me. As you may have noticed from my previous posts, I really enjoy flavor explosions, but most restraunts that I went to while out in the area served pretty bland foods. A Perkin's reubin isn't so bad, but they don't make it on pumpernickle...
I'm picky, too

EDIT: As to the names of the not-so-good ones, I can't give names because that was about 5 years ago and I don't recall the places I avoided. Sorry!

So let me get this right you are saying all wisconsin food is bad based on only two areas and your own admitted picky eating habits?

Also allow me to point out if you cannot remember the names obviously they could not have been that bad. I know when I get bad food; I can remember where it was and trust me I am perhaps far more picky they you are. Hell I can tell when my wife buys a different brand of butter or milk, yes there is a differance.

BTW I do not consider Perkins as a resturant, it is a fast food/truck stop (greasy spoon) joint, there is a differance.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
opin·ion: 1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : APPROVAL, ESTEEM Webster

I'm sorry you find my opinion so offensive, but I stand by it. I never said Wisconsin food was terrible, I sad it was bland, lackluster. I didn't care for it, but I didn't hate it. On top of that, the question is opinion.

EDIT: Sorry, too, if this post was offensive, I'm in a really pissy mood right now; today has not been bland, it's been downright awful, and I'm supre-annoyed.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I forgot to mention West Indian/Caribbean cuisine

which is blend of all nations foods with a whole lot of spice....mmm mmm mmmmmm

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I'm sorry you find my opinion so offensive, but I stand by it. I never said Wisconsin food was terrible, I sad it was bland, lackluster. I didn't care for it, but I didn't hate it. On top of that, the question is opinion.

EDIT: Sorry, too, if this post was offensive, I'm in a really pissy mood right now; today has not been bland, it's been downright awful, and I'm supre-annoyed.

No problem, I can understand having a bad day we all have them.

The worst food I've had is the typical Wisconsin restraunt's food.

That is what you said; now you are saying it was only terrible???

According to the words you used there is nothing lower then that

worst (wûrst) adj. Superlative of bad1, ill. 1. Most inferior, as in quality, condition,

Do not answer today, wait until you have a better day. I only say this because if I am correct you are basing your opinion on fast food and bar food which are not the same as true restaurants:shk:

Here have another Old Style

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I wasn't really ever a fast food eater until I started working in corporate America. Perkin's I see as more a truck stop chain, but as I said, they make a decent reuben (not enough kraut, though
).

I'm picky, but I'll try anything, as you may have gathered from other posts on this thread. All in all, though, those 4 years I lived in Wisconsin did contain the worst food I've had. This is a long term, general malaise type of worst, there wasn't anything specific. Just about everything I would get at restraunts (non-chain, in-city, non-truckstop like Callihans (but that one was good, as was that slaughter house steak place in Oshkosh) had an overwhelming butter flavor. Heck, if I would go to get ground beef at the grocery store I had to find the one with the smallest pad of butter on it, and take that off. My general culinary experience out there was the worst I'd had, overall.

I will admit that I'm a food snob, and if it's good, I have no problem laying down $75 on a meal (regularly do here at the Melting Pot in Buffalo Grove -- awesome, awesome fondue!). I generally do restraunts, except when I'm running for lunch at work these days, then I'll just get some fast food to tide me over until I get home (BK Chicken Tenders are pretty tastey!). When I was living in Wisconsin, I had more food-spending money than I do now, and a friend of mine and I would, typically, every weekend in Oshkosh go on a journey between Fon Du Lac and Green Bay trying to find a great restraunt. I didn't do that type of thing living in LaCrosse, but that's because I couldn't find another food snob willing to spend that kind of money on a meal

Another good Wisconsin restraunt is The Prime, in Trego, but that's a heck of a long drive just to get a marinated steak...And that's kinda a truck stop

So I stand by my statement that my experience in wisconsin, as far as food goes, was the worst I've had. Being a kid just out of high school without any cooking stuff of my own, I relied heavily on other people preparing dishes for me in exchange for my thanks and a few pieces of paper. By the end, I would usually be in Erbert and Gerbert's (I was the general manager) making some bizzare sub to eat.

So it depends on what the meaning of "is" is

EDIT: Had to reply today, because my short term memory is shot right now

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Have another Old Stale and your memory will get better

I plan on a longer reply, just short of time tonite so will have to wait until tomorrow OK?

Edit to add, I hope you realize is is the Old Stale that is ruining your taste buds

[edit on 7/11/2005 by shots]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
... if u want some good food go to a place like... france or something... if u go to Russia all u get is some really cheap food that u can make at home... oh and talking about Russias food... whats their national dish??? is it that red soup thing??? (i have no idea how u spell it in english)

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Which Nations Food Is Best?

Japan of course! Who else can make even veggies taste so good?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I love (to eat),
German, awsome everything.
Italien Great pasta & pizza, I love them sauces they make!
Chinese, I love all their flavours, Lemon Chicken, Westlake duck & more!
Japenese, I love their Sushi, & fish
Mexacan, I havnt had much Mexacan, but when I do, its AWSOME!!!
English, Fish 'n Chips, Scons, Bread n butter
mmmmm, im hungry!

c ya

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
France and Italy for sure!!

I could eat French and Italian every day

They are both different but I love them both and can't decide.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I have to go with Puerto Rican Cuisine!!!

Rich in spice and flavor and always have a good beach to sit at and enjoy your food....

Yes I am Puerto Rican LOL

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
English of course!

Nothing fancy, no exotic foreign names to reel people in, no (imo) pointless fancy arrangement with flowers on top and sprinkled with gold dust lol etc etc .... just bloody good hearty great tasting food!

Having said that, I am fond of pasta dishes! so italian is always good, as is indian! but for me I Love my English food!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Oh my gosh! Vietnamese Food!

I was in Vietnam, and the food there was so fresh and delicious with every dish having 7 different flavors going on at once. It's soooooo good and cheap!

It's better than Chinese because it's healthier and tastier. Although it's not as healthy as Japanese, but Japanese food is more about simplicity, and Vietnamese has a lot more flavor and soul. Southern style is the best. Northern style is too simple not as much flavor. You gotta have the lime and basil and chili and sweet sauce and garlic and cilantro. Oh my gosh, wants me some Vietnamese food.

Thank goodness today is Tết Trung Thu (Mid-Autumn Moon Festival).

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Italian or Cajun....

No Brainer

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I try a food at least once (except for sea food blegh), and i like all sort of food from a lot of different places. But if i had to choose three favorites out of all of them i would have to say Mexican/Spanish, Chineese, and Italian.

That is only because those three use a lot of both different and the same ingredients. And because i love spicy foods.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

Pretty much have to agree... France knows how to cook.

However, as this poster said, it's really a non-issue these days, as I can go anywhere in my city and pretty much get excellent cuisine from many different national dishes these days. The benefits of globalism.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MickeyDee

The best food you can find, is in Sweden and in Turkey.
Yummmm!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Not sure really.. so many flavours to pick, all are yummy

But the best comfort food for me has to be English.. especially a decent full English breakfast
served with a big mug of tea.. cheers me up no end, and none of the others can do that when I am really miserable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join