It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Nations Food Is Best?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Thai Food!!!!

Right there with you! Gotta be my favorite. But I am in Indiana right now and long for some REAL Thai, not the spiced waaaaaaay down they serve here. A 10 here is equal to about a 4 in NY.

I also love good Cajun foods.
And anything with lots of garlic.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I too would have to say that TexMex is the best. And when it comes to Mexican food, if the staff isn't yelling at each other in Spanish you aren't eating real Mexican food. (At least in my experience)

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Oh pulleezzeee...this is a no brainer ..

Portuguese food is the best ,....sorry

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would vote for Mexican food or Italian....love all the pasta and spices....mmmm

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Indian food...though Thai would come a close second.

Not that I can remember, being stuck in a certain midwestern town not known for it's cultural diversity.

What I would do for a decent chicken korma....with...na'an bread...sag aloo....aloo gobi...tarka dhal....

Ok, I'm going to go and cry now, at my distinct lack of Indian goodness.

Woe is me.

That said, I'm still craving a good old steak-and-kidney pie with mash and peas. And fish and chips. And maybe some bangers n mash. And certainly some Spotted Dick.

I'm homesick...can you tell?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
After English Chinese is easily the best......

And im actually eating one now.......

yummy

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
OMG, you all have no tatse in food!

England: Not famous for their food, or beautiful women
France: Food is ok, but the same as the rest of Europe, with different sauces.
Germany: see above
Italy: see above, but with noodles or tomato sauce
The rest of Europe: see above, but add different spices and sauces
China: see above, but with rice and sweet and sour sauce
India: see above, but add curry
All Middle Eastern Countries: see above, but add tons of garlic

USA: nothing original, except potato chips. SEE ABOVE: but remove all sauces and spices, and add ketchup.

The hands down best food in the world is Mexican. What a wonderful blend of spices, added in just the right amounts, to accentuate the full flavor of authentic Mexican Cuisine. Spicy, juicy(like the women), with the exact amount of herbs can make any Mexican dining experience last a lifetime.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Nathraq. Ya don't get out much, eh?

Yer post just screams "I've never really eaten much of anything outsida french fries and Mexican food!".

(And we'll not even dignify the "women" comment)

This is why some of the most incredible chefs on the planet have come from Europe. And the East.

How many Mexican superchefs are there again?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I am Croatian, and lived in Europe for a long time (Germany in particular). All of European cuisine is the same. If I order a schnitzel in Germany, or a breaded-pork in Croatia, it's the same. The French are the same. They eat TarTar( raw hamburger meat with spice), and the Germans eat TarTar, and the Polish, Slovaks, danes, and everyone else. The indigenous foods of Europe aren't that varied. Just the sauces, as I have stated.

And I still stand firm on my comment about English women, heh.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If you want to get that technical...

Most foods around the world ARE the same - it's the sauces making the difference....

But oh, what a difference they can make.

So, using your logic, Mexican food is the same. Meat/vegetable/grain base, prepared with/without certain spices.

Same as Indian.
Same as Italian.
Same as French.

Just different sauces/spices, non?

(Catherine Zeta Jones. Kate Winslet. Kate Moss. Kate Beckinsale. Ring any bells? All British
)

[edit on 11-7-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

(Catherine Zeta Jones. Kate Winslet. Kate Moss. Kate Beckinsale. Ring any bells? All British
)

[edit on 11-7-2005 by Tinkleflower]

Not true, Catherine Zeta Jones is Welsh.

I still stand by my comment, heh

peace man

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
and you named three Kates in your post.

So jinx, you owe me a soda

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

How many Mexican superchefs are there again?

Every Mexican cook is a super chef. they just stay out of the limelight to avoid attracting undo attention to themselves.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Tinkle: Regions also have very different ways of cooking and preparing the food. A lot of Japanese dishes call for super thin slices of meat and veggies, while others, like Scottish, use large chunks generally. There's also the manner in which you cook and the tools you use. A piccate sauce cooked in a cast iron pan using a wooden spoon to stir it tastes differently than if you used a teflon pan or a metal or plastic spoon.

There's also how well done the food it. TexMex likes things bloody, Japanese likes things raw, and others, such as Kosher, prefer their meats well done. That changes the flavor, too.

Plus, using a wok or a crock pot makes all the difference in the world, as does deep frying. Many regions use totally different cooking methods, though the meats and veggies are about the same. This, in combination of flavor combinations (kosher food never incorporates dairy with meats, and the Japanese, in the rare instance of using beef, use extremely salted beef) and sauces creates a regional taste.

Then there's the JJ combinations...If you haven't had eggs scrambled with mayo, tobascco and curry for breakfast, you haven't lived

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Then there's the JJ combinations...If you haven't had eggs scrambled with mayo, tobascco and curry for breakfast, you haven't lived

Jake, you the man!

( BTW, I'll let you in on a little secret: If you live in the Chicago Area, look up the restaraunt "Little Europe" in Brookfield. $6.75 pork tenderloins (2 each), with dumplings, sauerkraut, and bread, plus dessert. Also, "New Warsaws" on 63rd and Naragansett. All you can eat Polish for $8.95 per person.

Almost Forgot, "Chef Shangri-La" Chinese restaraunt, in Forest Park, on 26th and Des Plaines Ave. All you can eat lunch buffet for $5.95.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Jungle - yup, I know this

I was trying to prove a wee point to our friend there (and incidentally, Wales is part of the UK. But regardless).

My entire original point was regarding the wide varieties of techniques, as well as ingredients and flavourings, amongst the many varied types of European, Asian and Eastern cuisines.

I can't fathom the poor person who thinks there's no difference between (for example) Indian, Italian and English cuisine; or Chinese, English and French cuisine.

I love it all.

Even Mexican

(though I'm not huge on Texmex)

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Tinkle, you still owe me a soda for saying Kate three times in one sentence.

Now you owe me two, for telling you where to eat the next time you are in Chicago!

hehehehehehe

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I just did a search for Little Europe and only got Kenosha and Brookfield...

Speaking of pork tenderloins, there's a GREAT way to prepare them little buddies! You get yourself a big ol' pork tenderloin and slice it into small, about a quarter to half inch thick, medallians. It's easiest if you use CutCo knives and the tenderloin is still a little frozen.

In a bowl, combine two eggs with some Hot and Spicy Shake 'N Bake. Add some spices to taste (I usually add a teaspoon of McCormick's Italian seasoning and a teaspoon of granulated garlic because I'm a garlic nut). Mix this all together until it becomes a paste.

While you're doing this, you're heating your wok or deep frier to about 350 F (or medium low heat on the stove if you're using a pan, but keep a close eye on it because even when it hits the right temp, the flame keeps heating it up. Who'd have thunk?
) with extra virgin olive oil. You can use vegitable or sunflower seed oil, but I personally like the accent to the flavor the olive oil adds.

Dry the tenderloin medalians and dip them in the batter, covering them. Now stick your medallians into the frier for about 1 to 2 minutes. Take them out, sprinkle some fresh parmesean cheese, and enjoy!

...Well, I know what I'm having for dinner tonight

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I just did a search for Little Europe and only got Kenosha and Brookfield...

Little Europe is on Ogden Avenue, just West of Maple, in Brookfield.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The worst food I've had is the typical Wisconsin restraunt's food. Just bland. Not subtle, but bland. Bleh. I don't want to talk about it anymore, I'm starting to feel sad thinking about it.

JungleJake your problem is you flat landers drive too fast. If you slowed down you would find many restrauants in Wisconsin have good/excellant food. Actually in most cases better then Ill. has.

Since you want to knock Wisconsin in particular can you furnish some names of those you thing are bad??

Notice I did state most and not all; since I am willing to admit Ill has one or two good eating places.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join