It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange serpent in my pool!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
there was what looked like a worm on our floating chair I went near it and It had a tounge like a snake which slithered out and when I went and picked it up it nearly bit me and slithered across the water in my pool I acidentally splashed abit and it went under water then floated up and survived! I took the pipe atached to our underwater pool cleaner and picked it up turned it upside down and it stuck to the bottom of the pipe!!! then it slipped into our cool deck! strange thing is there are no water snakes where we live! what could it be???

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
as i understand it most snakes like most animals can swim to some degree or other. the best bet would be to describe, head shape, colouration and any markings. as this is how snakes are generaly identified i think. (not a snake expert lol)

could have been almost any type of snake anyway as some people like to keep the strangest pets arround.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
doodie !!!!! (think caddyshack)

just to make sure we're on the same page....

no legs or any appendages ?

what about the eyes ?

size estimate ?

what continent are you on ?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
syrinx high priest, I was thinking the same thing...

BABY RUUUUUTH!!!!

See, that kinda crap happens all the time when people don't clean thier pools!!! Stuff grows and mutates.

My suggestion...Clean your pool!

joking

Seriously...it was probably a snake....Brown Trout snakes are well known for finding their way to swimming pools...especially in the summer time.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I'm from america I could barely tell if it had a head alls it had was 1 stub on each end it had diamond patterns on it and it was a 1/4 foot long

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtemisFowl
I'm from america I could barely tell if it had a head alls it had was 1 stub on each end it had diamond patterns on it and it was a 1/4 foot long

Yup...definately sounds like a Brown Trout Snake.

Might wanna check that out.....they have a tendancy to reappear every now and then....usually when people are in the pool

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
there is a diamond back water snake, maybe you saw a baby one?
herpcenter.ipfw.edu...&2" target="_blank" class="postlink">DiamondBack Water Snake

or maybe your pool really does need cleaning because you might bloodworms in it

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
we dont have anything like them near us except a black racer that lives in our backyard if we did then the manatee's that visit our canal would be dead.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
We had brown trouts, and got them cleared out with our dog. It worked pretty well. That was a year ago and haven't seen them since.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I vote for a blind snake of some sort

www.pitt.edu...

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I don't know ArtemisFowl it sounds, like a snake to me.
worldwatcher could be right on the baby Diamondback Water Snake.
I also heard that the babies were even more poisionous then the adult
snakes. Good thing you didn't get bit!
Animals seem to be showing up in places where they don't normally exist. I'm getting what appears to be tropical birds here and I'm in the desert. Birds with brilliant yellow and orange colors!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
you got a hld of it right so wheres the pic????

and du snakes come in eggs???......

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I vote for a blind snake of some sort

www.pitt.edu...

you got my vote!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
you got a hld of it right so wheres the pic????

and du snakes come in eggs???......

It got away before he got a pic probally, otherwise hwe woulda posted it by now.

Yeah, snakes lay eggs.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I had a camera but it had no film and it was what looked like a blind snake but I didnt know they slithered on water and it was black but there arent any of them near us. so its probably as mountainstar said showing up in the wrong place but are they poisonous???

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtemisFowl
I had a camera but it had no film and it was what looked like a blind snake but I didnt know they slithered on water and it was black but there arent any of them near us. so its probably as mountainstar said showing up in the wrong place but are they poisonous???

Blindsnakes are not poisonous(don't even have fangs) and they can barely even bite because their top jaw is not split like most snakes(they have a small gape). Oh and I think someone mentioned earlier that most snakes can swim(including Blindsnakes). Just so you know I found a site(google it) that said that some Blindsnakes lay eggs and some have live young.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by adamneldon]

[edit on 6-7-2005 by adamneldon]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
i also really think it is some type of snake. but did you say it stuck to the pipe or whatever? it might have just been curled around and holding on, but if not, it might be somethin new

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
To the poster who ask about snakes comming from eggs.

Not all do come from eggs certainly a large number do though. The pit vipers of North America give live birth, as do some constrictors from other parts of the world.

As to this.

we dont have anything like them near us except a black racer that lives in our backyard if we did then the manatee's that visit our canal would be dead.

It sounds as if you live near Florida in this case you have far more species than black racers in your area. You have the Cotton mouth (water mocison), Southern Copper Head, Eastern Diamond Back Rattle snake, several species of non venomous snakes such as king snakes and other colubrids in your area also you have in some areas the Coral snake wich looks simular to several species of king snake (easy way to tell them apart is this simple to remember phrase "red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black venom lack").

Either way the venomous snakes will not harm a manatee. If one were to be bitten it might have some discomfort but it would not die.

Your best bet would be to search the snakes you have in your area and find out what it was there. Also if you live in America it's good to know that all but one of the venomous snakes here have cat like pupils the Coral snake being the only one with out it is also the only one of the venomous snakes in the U.S. that is not a pit viper.

Here are some links to help you in your search.

www.enature.com... apeID=1060

www.flmnh.ufl.edu...

www.pitt.edu...

pick4.pick.uga.edu...:

herpcenter.ipfw.edu...&2" target="_blank" class="postlink">herpcenter.ipfw.edu... herpcenter.ipfw.edu...&2

All in all snakes are more of a good thing to have around than a bad thing. I grew up catching all kinds of them and even had a pet Western Diamondback rattle snake for 3 years (before my wife made me get rid of it). I hope the links I provided will help you some. From what I read though it was a nonvenomous snake. But all snakes can and will swim they are also attracked to pools for something to drink and that prey if often found near water.

Raist

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Raist]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
All snakes can swim, all breeds can swim, just some are more inclined to the water then others. Snakes float on the water, while some serpents can swim under water, they mostly stay on the surface.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
There are also these things called caecilians. They are amphibians that are convergent upon snakes, iow, they are leggless and long bodied amphibians, just like snakes are leggless and long bodied lizards. Apparently they are burrowing amphibians also, but of course also need to go into water.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join