It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is P2P file sharing illegal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Eh, I didn't know where else to post this, so I decided to put it here. I've been using a program that allows allows me to download files (like music, games etc) by connecting to other users computers. I've been doing this for awhile, mostly downloading music and burning them in a CD. Well, one time I decided to go on google and see if this program was illegal to use or not, I couldn't find convincing answers. I'm hoping that anybody here can help answer my question, because its been in my head for awhile, and Im getting nervous because I don't want to get arrested and pay fines for I didn't know was illegal or not.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by Striker122]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
If your downloading copyrighted files, then yes, its illegal, in the United States. Im not sure about other countries. But the programs itself are not illegal.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The answer is both yes and no. Its illegal to download copyrighted material, but if your downloading something like say Open Source Software or trial versions/shareware programs then your safe.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If it is ill see you all when i get out of jail.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yes, its illeagal. Just dont share. Thats how the RIAA views your files.

-J

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
darn, guess its no more music for me!

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Striker122
darn, guess its no more music for me!

I don't know for certain if it's true or not, but my brother told me that it is 100% legal to download music in Canada

As for the filesharing programs themselves, they are legal to use, but it is illegal to download or distribute copyrighted material in most countries. It's kind of analogous to owning a gun; it's perfectly legal to have one, but if you shoot somebody, you're going to get in trouble.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
p2p is kazaa and its adware i dowloaded it before and i have a spyware program and it detected the adware and i had a hell of a time getting rid of it

top topics

join