It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Police and Demonstrators Clash at G8

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
In the US people have a right "to peacefully protest", nowhere does it say they can resort to violent protests by destroying private or public property, attacking police officers or even other civilians. We saw in the L.A. riots what "violent protests" can do to other civilians, and to a city.

Amendment II - Right to bear arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
--
Is that not the point of the Second Amendment though? If you don't get what you want through a Peaceful Protest you have the ability to take up your arms, defend yourself and force the change?

Also just remember one man's Tyranny is another man's Freedom.

furthermore, the L.A. Riots would have never happend if their was a just legal system in place.

Seriously, what do you expect people to do? If they don't listen when you protest peacefully and they keep infringing on your rights, what then? Keep on protesting till they take those rights away? I am still waiting for your alternative.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Instead people like yourself should be puting more of your money, or asking those groups, like ANWSER INTERNATIONAL, that stage protests only against the US and the WEST for some reason..... to use their funds and whatever money you can collect to help the people in Africa or other places.

If you want to make a difference, why don't you demand those groups that waste so much money in protests, that according to you do not solve anything, instead of destroying the home, the car or other private property of another human being, or even public property?....or even if the protests do not end in violence but instead, according to you, accomplish nothing at all....

You want to make a difference? Then as the saying goes and meaning no offense "put your money where your mouth is." You never know, you will probably even get more funds to help those people that really need the money and help, from those citizens that do not want to resort to any violence or to be part of protests which at the end, according to you, don't solve anything.

Bravo.
There are more than two ways of accomplishing a goal.

You have voted Muaddib for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
jsobecky, you really do miss the point.

Both of those methods have been tried in U.K. politics for over 20years now.

I am still waiting for another method that actually works and has shown success, time and time again.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I don't think so..I see more than you know.

What other methods besides violence? Other methods do work, but they take time and effort, and not just lip service. There are no bromides that will give immediate results; you know that, I'm sure. But you are just ignoring that fact to promote violent prrotests, IMO.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Really? Well give me an example and a better option? Nor have I ever said, immediate results. I am talking long term - years. So what's the option?

As I have shown all the major changes came about not through violent protests, but the people standing up for themselves once the Government/People begin to infringe on their rights which we all have.

Did you even bother to read the examples I gave? I never even spoke of "immediate results". I used examples which took years and years, however in each case people only began to change and listen once violence and self-defence was brought to the front of the agenda.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yes, I've read your posts and I applaud some of the things you've done to work within the system.

But when I hear the word violence, and when I see things like those protestors smashing car windows with poles, I immediately back up. You may succeed in getting their attention with violence, but it is not a good base to build from. It adds to the mistrust and division in society.

I wish I had a simple cure-all answer, but I don't.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Yes, I've read your posts and I applaud some of the things you've done to work within the system.

But when I hear the word violence, and when I see things like those protestors smashing car windows with poles, I immediately back up. You may succeed in getting their attention with violence, but it is not a good base to build from. It adds to the mistrust and division in society.

I wish I had a simple cure-all answer, but I don't.

Huey P. Newton
The people in Detroit learned that the way to put a hurt on the administration is to make Molotov cocktails and to go Into the street in mass numbers. So this was a matter of learning. The slogan went up "Burn, baby, burn'. People were educated through the activity and it spread throughout the country. The people were educated on how to resist, but Perhaps incorrectly.

See, just like Huey I don't think "violence" for the sake of it is not worthwhile. However, there is a point when you have to fight against the "established" powers. Because remember, a democracy does not have to suit the majority. The people might not want such a Government and really, the people rule a Nation not the few and not an outside Nation.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
The point is that protests even violent ones can be justified. The point that decides is why they are violent. Tienamen Square anyone? Did that guy deserve to be run over? Was he just a nut job that smashed windows because he wanted a free tv or because he wanted the end of an oppressive regime?

BTW, elections can be rigged and politics can be controlled. Sometimes you have to either be given liberty or death, and if it gets down to it, then Annie get your gun, praise the lord and pass the ammunition!

We are not in a communist regime, and what happened in Tiannanmen Square is completly different to what is happening in the US and in the UK. It is completly preposterous to even imply that what is happening in the UK or the US has any similarity to what happened in Tiananmen Square....or even what is happening currently in China.

In the US people have a right "to peacefully protest", nowhere does it say they can resort to violent protests by destroying private or public property, attacking police officers or even other civilians. We saw in the L.A. riots what "violent protests" can do to other civilians, and to a city.

People have a right to protest peacefully, once you resort to violence you are breaking the law.

It is not the government that makes the society evil but the methods. The US and the UK have as much blood on their hands as do the chinese and it is because of this that the Chinese hate the west. Read a history book and do not skip the few chapters on the Opium Wars and the Boxer rebellion. Also, any government can do a tiennamen square. Remember Kent State? Many people from the 'Nam era are not so quick to!

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
should the individual honestly conclude that violence is the last and only resort, they should organize themselves a militia. these are rights afforded them. protests are not the right venue for violence.

why? because its not organized. if you want your violence to actually influence change, you must be organized.

besides, we all know the new war is fought for our thoughts opinions and swayings. before we start raising our crosshairs, we need to thoroughly educate eachother. before any violent rebellion could even possibly be succesfull, the fed up population needs to come to a consensus. we need to agree upon the reason for the needed violence. random acts will not benefit our cause. even more difficult than violently overthrowing the most powerful government in the world is for we the people to see past all the propaganda and doublespeak, and unfortunatley this must come first.

lets come to a consensus people.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Sometimes you cannot call a committee to decide such matters. Sometimes you have to act. Such incidents as the Boston Masacre come to mind. Also one is Kent State. When the bullets are raining down, do you take a vote of hands?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
lost, that's all well and good however what about those of us in Nations where are Governments removed firearms?

Tony Blair destroyed our ability to have a militia a right that dated back to the 1640's. If we organize and "decent" we now become terrorists or anarchists.

Annoyingly, it is not as easy as you make out.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join